• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

aoife

This poor little guy vomited & needed a bath. This prick decided to sterilize him and he's been in the burn unit since October. Yep, girlfriend's kid.

wgyslk.jpg

A man accused of forcing his girlfriend's 5-year-old child to stay in a bathtub full of scalding water was arrested Wednesday at his father's home northwest of Whitefish.

Juan Vasquez, 27, is charged with one count of aggravated assault and one count of criminal endangerment, both felonies.

He is being held in the Flathead County Detention Center in lieu of $500,000 bail pending an initial hearing in Justice Court.

The boy, who suffered second- and third-degree burns to more than 40 percent of his body, is being treated at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, according to Whitefish Police Chief Bill Dial.

According to court documents, Whitefish police responded to the boy's Ramsey Avenue residence on Oct. 24. Vasquez, who was in a relationship with the boy's mother, was taking care of the child at her home.

In interviews with a detective from the Seattle Police Department, the boy said that Vasquez put him in the bathtub of scalding water and then forced him to stay there, despite his screams.

The boy told investigators he had to take the bath because he threw up after eating.

A doctor and child-abuse expert at Harborview, where the boy was taken the day after being burned, told investigators the pattern of burns on the boy's body is consistent with forced immersion.

Vasquez waited until the boy was unresponsive before he called paramedics, Dial said.

The boy has spent weeks in the hospital, including a stint in the intensive-care unit, and undergone skin grafts. The burns reportedly cover large portions of his lower body.

If convicted, Vasquez could face up to 30 years in prison and a $100,000 fine. He has yet to be arraigned.
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/2008/12/11/news/local_montana/news02.txt

just because he threw up? bastard.

a few months ago my daughter threw up while sleeping in her sisters bed, she called out and dh and I took care of her. I ran the bath while he took the sheets off. As I was putting them in the washer, dh was making her a bed next to ours. She takes her bath and gets clean clothes on as we babied her, she's 4. As we are rubbing her back and making sure shes comfortable she tells us "I like it when I throw up, you guys are being so nice" LOL out of the mouth of babes. We're all, just dont throw up when you want attention. All at 3am. No one was mad, just worried about her.
Kids get sick, you should make them feel better and loved, not like they did something wrong. It happens. Shit happens. You just gotta grin and bare it.
This asshole should have a scalding hot tube shoved up is dick!

christ, i'll volunteer to boil the water to scald this bastard. i remember when i'd just gotten out of the hospital after 8 months for my transplant. i'd fed my youngest mac & cheese & he was all happy. i picked him up & he puked all over me. got us cleaned up & tried to go to bed. the boxer pup looked at me & puked all over me & the bed. had to clean up all of us, again, & i was so weak i think i slept on the floor that nite. never occurred to me to scald either my kid or my puppy. WTF??????

This poor boy will never be the same again, even if his skin eventually heals (I'm sure with skin grafts he's going to have some degree of scaring). And all because he has was vomitted!! He needed to be cleaned up, fresh pj's and shown loved and compassion.

Rot in hell Juan Vasquez

My 5 yr. old had a stomach virus recently and did just that vomit while trying to go to sleep in his bed. It is hard enough for me to see my child in distress from vomiting and being sick. The idea of scalding him and forcing him to stay in the scalding water is unimaginable.

What a sadistic fuck. People like this truly need punishment that fits the crime...scald this motherfucker, thats my judgment.

Yes, yes, scald this sick fuck. However, where the fuck is this young boy's mother????? Another one.... leaving her child with a FUCKING BOYFRIEND!!!!! You know all I hear about is men/guys/boys wanting to stick their "thing" anywhere and everywhere....well it seems to me, there are a lot of bitches out there with itchy wet underwear trying to SUCK UP and jump on and keep any cock they can find and they are willing to hurt, abuse or kill their kids to get some up in there..

I would like to personally hold this bitch's crotch under a rolling boil along with the rest of the bitches in these posts! Take away their need to feed and get rid of their "itchy wet crotch" syndrome. No more smiling and jumping to your knees when you should be feeding your kids, loving them, hugging them...you know, basic mother type shit!!! I hate these bitches!!!!

just because he threw up? bastard.

a few months ago my daughter threw up while sleeping in her sisters bed, she called out and dh and I took care of her. I ran the bath while he took the sheets off. As I was putting them in the washer, dh was making her a bed next to ours. She takes her bath and gets clean clothes on as we babied her, she's 4. As we are rubbing her back and making sure shes comfortable she tells us "I like it when I throw up, you guys are being so nice" LOL out of the mouth of babes. We're all, just dont throw up when you want attention. All at 3am. No one was mad, just worried about her.
Kids get sick, you should make them feel better and loved, not like they did something wrong. It happens. Shit happens. You just gotta grin and bare it.
This asshole should have a scalding hot tube shoved up is dick!

It tears me up when my kids are sick. They've puked on me lots of times because I just have to cuddle them when they feel bad. The weird thing is that a new package of socks along with everything else in this world makes me gag, but not those kids.
I don't even freak to get them to the toilet. They look terrified. I just let them let it go where they are and pick it up.

christ, i'll volunteer to boil the water to scald this bastard. i remember when i'd just gotten out of the hospital after 8 months for my transplant. i'd fed my youngest mac & cheese & he was all happy. i picked him up & he puked all over me. got us cleaned up & tried to go to bed. the boxer pup looked at me & puked all over me & the bed. had to clean up all of us, again, & i was so weak i think i slept on the floor that nite. never occurred to me to scald either my kid or my puppy. WTF??????

I gotta say you hold him down I'll set his ass on fire!!!

(that was vicious even for me! but really he deserves torture)

Who has their water heater set to a temperature that could do that much damage?... especially with kids in the home.

You will need a gas can, lighter, and a fire extinguisher. Light this guy's ass on fire, let him burn for a bit. Be sure to put him out before he dies. Then it's time to drag him off to the cellar and begin peeling off strips of flesh. DP's Recipe for Torture is brought to you by: Kitty Kat! The Snack that tastes like cat!

During an arraignment Thursday morning in Flathead County District Court, Juan Miguel Vasquez, 28, pleaded not guilty to assault on a minor, a new charge added to the already-pending charges of aggravated assault and criminal endangerment, all felonies.
[...]

Since posting $50,000 bond on Nov. 17, 2009, Vasquez has been free.

At a previous bond reduction hearing, Vasquez — who has limited mobility from a serious back injury and has extensive family connections in Northwest Montana — testified he was not a flight risk.

Responding to a Ramsey Avenue residence on Oct. 24, 2008, Whitefish Police discovered the severely burned boy.

The boy, who suffered second- and third-degree burns to more than 40 percent of his body, was treated for three months at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

In interviews with a detective from the Seattle Police Department, the boy said Vasquez put him in the bathtub of scalding water and forced him to stay there, despite his screams.
[...]

Vasquez also faces one count of fraudulently obtaining dangerous drugs, a felony.

He allegedly signed for three of his girlfriend’s prescriptions in her name at a Whitefish pharmacy while she was out of state at the hospital with her injured son.

Vasquez’s girlfriend told investigators she did not receive the prescriptions — which included painkillers and sleeping pills — and they were not found at their home.

If convicted of abusing the boy, Vasquez could face as long as 35 years in prison and a $150,000 fine.

He could face an additional five years in prison and $50,000 in fines if convicted of the drug charges.

Vasquez awaits trail on April 8.
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/article_5dbd5954-33d2-11df-8d9f-001cc4c03286.html

A District Court jury has acquitted a Whitefish man of charges filed against him after a 5-year-old boy in his care was scalded in a bathtub of hot water.

Juan Miguel Vasquez had faced charges of aggravated assault, criminal endangerment and assault on a minor after the boy was severely burned in October 2008.

Jurors deliberated for five hours Wednesday before returning their verdict.

Defense attorney Noel Larrivee said the boy’s injuries were the result of a horrible accident. During the trial, he argued that the boy was in the bathtub while the water was running, adjusted the water temperature and recoiled when the water became too hot, falling in the tub.

Prosecutors alleged and the boy testified that Vasquez pushed him into the hot water. The boy suffered second- and third-degree burns over 40 percent of his body and was hospitalized for three months.
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20100415/NEWS01/100415010/1002/rss

From last week's prosecution-side testimony:
Witnesses for the prosecution testified Friday during the trial of a Whitefish man accused of forcing his then-girlfriend’s 5-year-old child into a bathtub full of scalding water, severely burning the boy.

“I said, ‘It’s hot,’” Myccah Hermsmeyer, now 6, testified in Flathead County District Court.

“He said, ‘It’s not hot.’”

“I said, ‘It’s hot’ again.”

“He said, ‘It’s not hot,’” the child told the court, describing how Juan Miguel Vasquez left the bathroom “after he put my head under the water and I started kicking.”

While Vasquez was out of the room, the child said he tried getting up to turn the temperature lower, but Vasquez returned and “turned it back hot.” He said Vasquez wouldn’t let him get out of the tub.

Vasquez, 28, is on trial on charges of assault on a minor, aggravated assault and criminal endangerment, all felonies.

The boy’s sister Skyleigh Hermsmeyer testified that a household punishment for lying was to get dish soap in your mouth.

At the Ramsey Avenue residence on Oct. 24, 2008, the boy apparently was receiving this punishment when he spit up from the soap and needed a bath to wash it off.

So Vasquez drew up a bath.

What happened next remains unclear.
[...]

But on the witness stand Friday, the boy’s mother, Nicole Foiles, said that although the water heater had been recently replaced, she wasn’t aware there were problems with water getting too hot.

The boy’s two older sisters were home at the time of the incident, but the layout of the mobile home was such that from where they were standing in the kitchen, they couldn’t see what was going on in the bathroom.

The boy suffered second- and third-degree burns to more than 40 percent of his body and was treated for almost three months at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. He needed extensive skin grafts.

Foiles was visibly weeping as she described coming home from work that evening.

“I saw my baby laying on the bed, naked, and he was crying and screaming for me and he didn’t even know I was there,” she said.

Since the incident, she said, she has heard him scream in his sleep.

Although she said Vasquez hasn’t been physical with her, when asked if she had knowledge of him being physical with her children, she responded, “Yes.”

Seattle Police Department Detective Donna Stangeland, who interviewed the boy a few days after the incident, described him as “very emotionally upset, crying, sobbing and shaking” when asked about the event, becoming “so upset I was quite concerned for his health.”

She said he indicated a fear of Vasquez.

When Larivee accused Stangeland of asking leading questions to shape the boy’s responses, she said, “I think some of those questions could be construed as leading” but maintained that was merely because she was “repeating back information he [the boy] had already reported.”

Prosecutors also played a tape of the 911 call Vasquez made immediately after the incident. Listening to the heartbreaking screams and cries that could be heard in the background, Vasquez covered his face with his hand.
[...]
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/article_427c876a-4457-11df-adf7-001cc4c002e0.html

Aquitted...WHAT??? Who the hell was on the jury, Vasquez's family members?
I mean do they really think this boy scalded himself that bad...he only got off cause it was confirmed that the water heater had recently been replaced and the defense played off that. I hope the people on that jury have nightmares after listening to the boys screams on the 911 tape and then aquitting the man responsible for it.
“I saw my baby laying on the bed, naked, and he was crying and screaming for me and he didn’t even know I was there,” she said.
:sad:That is heartbreaking...

Aquitted...WHAT??? Who the hell was on the jury, Vasquez's family members?
I mean do they really think this boy scalded himself that bad...he only got off cause it was confirmed that the water heater had recently been replaced and the defense played off that. I hope the people on that jury have nightmares after listening to the boys screams on the 911 tape and then aquitting the man responsible for it.

:sad:That is heartbreaking...
I have faith in the jury. The paper didn't report any of what the defense presented (that I could find) other than a bit of the opening and cross-examination. If the full case was just what was reported in the newspaper, I would think the jury was wonky.

The jury heard the whole of the evidence presented. Neither the prosecution or the defense wanted stupid people on the jury, so I have to believe they used thoughtful deliberation in looking at the evidence... not the emotions. That is the only explanation for the difference in the slant of the news reporting and the verdict.

Could you ruin someone's life without being certain they did the deed?

I have faith in the jury. The paper didn't report any of what the defense presented (that I could find) other than a bit of the opening and cross-examination. If the full case was just what was reported in the newspaper, I would think the jury was wonky.

The jury heard the whole of the evidence presented. Neither the prosecution or the defense wanted stupid people on the jury, so I have to believe they used thoughtful deliberation in looking at the evidence... not the emotions. That is the only explanation for the difference in the slant of the news reporting and the verdict.

Could you ruin someone's life without being certain they did the deed?

“I said, ‘It’s hot,’” Myccah Hermsmeyer, now 6, testified in Flathead County District Court.

“He said, ‘It’s not hot.’”

“I said, ‘It’s hot’ again.”

“He said, ‘It’s not hot,’” the child told the court, describing how Juan Miguel Vasquez left the bathroom “after he put my head under the water and I started kicking.”

While Vasquez was out of the room, the child said he tried getting up to turn the temperature lower, but Vasquez returned and “turned it back hot.” He said Vasquez wouldn’t let him get out of the tub.

I hear what you are saying, but the boy testified that he told him more then once that the water was too hot and then after he tried to turn it down the shit head came back in and turned up the hot water. That right there would make me want to charge the guy with something, not just let him walk.

I agree, juries rarely get it wrong. It also might be a problem with the way it was charged - it looks like all the charges were intentional type crimes and defense might have been that it wasn't intentional. Prosecution might have been better off with a criminal negligence or neglect route.

I agree, juries rarely get it wrong. It also might be a problem with the way it was charged - it looks like all the charges were intentional type crimes and defense might have been that it wasn't intentional. Prosecution might have been better off with a criminal negligence or neglect route.

Yeah I guess that could be the case...you would have thought that the prosecution would have charged him with some kind of child neglect charge or something. I'm not saying that he deserves to spend the rest of his life in jail, but he didn't even get a slap on the wrist...

Ok, it said the boyfriend called 911 immediately after the incident, but the boy was still home laying in the bed naked and suffering when the mom got home? What the hell?
But anyways this guy should be convicted and sentenced for something. He was 6 years old and threw up because the boyfriend put dish soap in his mouth, so you know that just pissed the boyfriend off and..........shit i don't need to spell it all out. He did this intentionally. Oh wait, I guess the 6 year old regularly runs his own bath water and its always been fine just this time he got 2nd and 3rd degree burns over 40 percent of his body, accidents happen right.

Small consolation but he did sit in jail for a year before making bail. In none of the articles that are current do they talk about the drug charges. Hopefully that will get him a sentence of substance (they would nave probably made it concurrent anyway if he had been found guilty).

If there is a fault, it lays with the prosecution. They didn't prove their case. It's not like they handed the jury a bunch of newspaper articles and said "Draw your own conclusions". There is obviously WAY more to the story than the media has presented. If there wasn't, he'd have been found guilty.

I would have thrown every type of charge against this guy I thought might stick. I gather that some jurisdictions can't or won't do this, though. Which results in the most obvious criminals getting off because a charge the jury could agree with wasn't on the table.

The child was in treatment IN THE HOSPITAL for THREE MONTHS! This surpasses some did he or did he not do it question. He did it! Did he or did he not intend to do it? That would be the question, I guess. I think he intended to push that child in the water and keep him there, yes. Did he really think the water wasn't that hot? Maybe. At least he did call the emergency services.

Found a few more details on the trial:

</Quote>The prosecution accused Vasquez of telling authorities three different versions of that day’s events.

“You’ll hear how significant details change, and these are details provided by the only adult who was in the house,â€￾ said Ahner. He referred to the crime as unplanned child abuse.

“Sometimes that brief moment of anger is followed by a lifetime of remorse, but that doesn’t change what happened in that brief moment. That doesn’t change the fact that a crime was still committed during that brief moment,â€￾ he said.

The defense painted a vastly different picture of the October events, describing Vasquez as caring and a stable influence who looked out for and cared for the child.

“You’re being asked to believe that somehow he snapped and hurt a little boy he’d been raising and then realized all of a sudden he must have done something wrong,â€￾ Larrivee said.

He described how Vasquez started the water, then stepped out to do laundry in the next room.

Meanwhile, he said, the child stood in the small tub and reached up to adjust the water’s temperature. But the water quickly turned scalding, causing the child to recoil, slip, fall and hit his head, said Larrivee, which made it impossible for him to get out. He described a cut on the back of the victim’s head he said no one had explained and said the tops of the child’s knees were not burned.</quote>

So this introduces a doubt that the child slipped, knocked himself silly, and got burnt in the hot running water.

This same news report says, regarding his drug charges:

</Quote>In a separate case, Vasquez also faces one count of fraudulently obtaining dangerous drugs, a felony.

He allegedly signed for three of his girlfriend’s prescriptions in her name at a Whitefish pharmacy while she was out of state at the hospital with her injured son.

Vasquez’s girlfriend told investigators she did not receive the prescriptions — which included painkillers and sleeping pills — and they were not found at their home.</quote>
http://www.dreamindemon.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=391706

Another news post says the responding paramedic got there, found the mom hysterical, the child lying naked and screaming on the bed. So, the mom got there before the paramedics. Vasquez got his story in. The paramedic saw nothing that would controvert or confirm the story.
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/article_5ace0b4e-469c-11df-80db-001cc4c002e0.html

Another article, announcing the acquittal, concluded with this:

</Quote>Although the prosecution argued the boy suffered classic forced-immersion burns — allegedly caused by Vasquez holding him down in scalding water — the defense maintained the injuries were accidental and were incurred after Vasquez stepped out of the bathroom.

“Did he [the boy] fall? I’m not going to assume, I’m not going to speculate,â€￾ Larrivee said during closing arguments. He asked jurors not to base their verdict on conjecture, sympathy or public opinion and accused the prosecution of selectively presenting evidence and skewing the facts.

He compared the prosecution’s argument to the Iraq war and the fruitless search for weapons of mass destruction to explain “how we can become convinced of something ... that simply is not true.â€￾

During the five-day trial, the jury heard testimony from the child; the defendant; the child’s sisters, who were home at the time but in another room; the child’s mother, who was not home; plus investigating authorities and doctors who treated the child.</quote>
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/article_cade6dd2-483d-11df-ac14-001cc4c03286.html

Frustratingly, I could find nothing on the doctors' or investigation authorities' (beyond the Seattle investigator) testimonies. Clearly the child said Vasquez did it, more than once. Apparently, that was discounted because of the Seattle investigator, who they suggested asked the child leading questions. She countered that she was repeating the child's statements back to him, not leading him.

The child was in treatment IN THE HOSPITAL for THREE MONTHS! This surpasses some did he or did he not do it question.
The amount of time the child spent in the hospital has little to do with it. It was either a deliberate act or an accident. The people that heard all the facts said it was not what the DA charged it was.

My step-daughter was horribly burned in an accident at age 4 and was in the hospital for almost a year. As much as I am not-fond of hubby's ex, I never have or would blame her for what happened. Using the "a child was hurt" and "amount of time in hospital" logic, she should probably still be in jail.

The prosecutor, in this case, chose to say it was something done on purpose. The prosecutor either did a piss poor job, brought the wrong charges, or charged when he shouldn't have.

It sucks when it looks like someone "got away with it" but it sucks just as bad that the DA may have done wrong. How many assholes will get off because of incompetence? Doesn't that scare you?

The amount of time the child spent in the hospital has little to do with it.

You are right about that, much to my disgust. (Another discussion, another time.) But, my intent here was to indicate that the severity of the burns was considerable and couldn't be missed by any sane person. This was a fast scalding burn, not a slow acting sunburn.

I, for one, believe the child. If he says Vasquez ran the water, pushed him down, turned the heat up further, refused to let him out despite his screams, I believe him. Which means to me that Vasquez did it.

Apparently the jury of Vasquez' peers decided the child was lying and he did it to himself. Accidentally.

I am glad Vasquez did sit in jail for a year awaiting trial. It might be enough to satisfy me anyway.

I'm not overly troubled by prosecutor's competence. I'm not ready to say he was incompetent, therefore he lost. It was a trial. The jury decides which argument and supporting evidence is most convincing. This time they went with the defense. Do we discount the judge or insist the jury is infallible? Will two juries viewing the exact same case always come to the same conclusion? Do we ever hear the same story the jury does? No.

Back