• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
Authorities have launched a search for a missing Bonsall family of four after a welfare check conducted by the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department raised concerns.

The whereabouts of Joseph "Joey" McStay, 39, his wife, Summer McStay, 32, and sons Gianni McStay, 4, and Joseph Mateo McStay, 3, are being sought by officials.

Lt. Dennis Brugos of the Sheriff’s homicide division said family, friends and business associates said the last time any members of the family were seen was on Feb. 4.

Concern heightened, Brugos said, when officers visited the family’s home in the 3400 block of Avocado Vista Lane the evening of February 15.

"Deputies saw some things that aroused their suspicion; one of which was the fact that the family’s two dogs were there, but no provisions had been make for their care," said Brugos. "That, very quickly, increased the level of concern."

When asked why this missing persons’ case was immediately sent to the homicide division, Brugos said, "Because it’s so out of character for an entire family to disappear."

The family’s vehicle, an Isuzu Trooper, was discovered afterward in a tow yard near the Mexican border. Tow company workers told officers that the sport utility vehicle had been towed from a parking lot located near the international border.

For Brugos, it was another sign of something amiss.

"Cars are typically towed from those locations when they are left overnight or longer," said Brugos. "At best it would be considered irresponsible; at worst, something more sinister." Investigators seized the vehicle immediately.

"It has been taken to the crime lab for processing," explained Brugos. "In these types of cases, generically, we check with Mexican officials, contact Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), work with the state Department of Justice and see if there has been any action on [the individuals’] credit cards or any cell phone activity."

The authorities were originally contacted by Joseph McStay’s brother, Michael, who told officers "it is unusual for my brother not to be in touch with me."

"If family members are saying their relatives would never leave without telling them, and business associates say the same, we have to assume something is wrong," said Brugos. "No one could figure out why they were gone. There is certainly no history of them doing that previously."

Ultrastar Theaters said to own Earth Inspired Products, an indoor water feature design business. He is described as a white male with brown hair and eyes, approximately five feet, nine inches tall, and 175 pounds.

Summer McStay, Brugos said, appears to be a homemaker and is of Columbian descent with brown hair and eyes, is approximately 5 feet 5 inches tall, and weighs 115 pounds.

The couple has lived in their home in the Lake Rancho Viejo Development, east of Interstate 15, since November 2009. They previously lived in Orange County.

Anyone with information on the family’s whereabouts is asked to call Sgt. Dave Martinez at (858) 974-2321 or Crime Stoppers (anonymous tip line) at (888) 580-8477.
Early version

BONSALL -
Investigators sought today to track down a Bonsall couple and their two young children, who went missing nearly two weeks ago from their 3473 Avocado Vista Lane home.

Friends, relatives and business associates of Bonsall residents Joseph and Summer McStay and their sons, 4-year-old Gianni and 3-year-old Joseph Jr., have not seen them since Feb. 4, sheriff's Lt. Dennis Brugos said.

A white 1996 Isuzu Trooper owned by the family was found abandoned in San Ysidro, according to news accounts.

The McStays' absence came to light Monday evening, after the brother of the elder Joseph McStay requested a welfare check at their Avocado Vista Lane residence.

Joseph McStay owns Earth Inspired Products, an indoor fountain and waterfall company. According to the website, McStay has operated the business since 1996 and it is one of the largest selections of hand made nature inspired products available.

The family had just moved into their home, according to county records, in November, 2009.

"Evidence at the family home suggested that the family had not left on a planned vacation and that the totality of the circumstances surrounding their disappearance was quite out of character for this family," Brugos said.

The McStays' dogs were still in the home, and the family apparently had made no arrangements for the animals' care, the lieutenant told reporters.

Anyone with information on the McStays' whereabouts was asked to call Sgt. Dave Martinez at the Sheriff's Department at (858) 974-2321.
http://www.thevillagenews.com/story/45499/
2rwvwqo.jpg
<<
Bryan McStay, 39, his wife, Summer McStay, 32, and their two young boys are missing from their Bonsall home.

McStay family of 4 missing, Bonsall, CA
Authorities said they are looking for an interior fountain designer, his wife and their two preschool-age children, who have been missing from their Bonsall-area home for nearly two weeks.

Family, friends and business contacts told the San Diego County Sheriff's Department that they have not seen or heard from Joseph "Joey" Bryan McStay, 40; his wife, Summer McStay, 43; and their two young boys, Gianni and Joey Jr. ---- since Feb. 4, sheriff's homicide Lt. Dennis Brugos said Tuesday.

Their white Isuzu vehicle has since been located; it was abandoned in San Ysidro.

And that has Joseph McStay's father in knots.

"As a father, I am scared to death, with the car being found by the Mexican border," Patrick McStay said. "I don't know. I'm just trying to hold it together right now."

The elder McStay said his grandson Gianni is 5 years old and Joey Jr. is 3 years old.

The Texas resident said he had planned to visit the family soon, and had hopes of building a clubhouse with the boys in their front yard.

Deputies checked on the family on the evening of Feb. 15 at the request of Joseph McStay's brother Michael, Brugos said.

The family wasn't there, but their two dogs were, and had been left uncared for, the lieutenant said.

That and other odd findings at the home led deputies to call the homicide division, as is protocol in missing persons cases with suspicious circumstances, Brugos said.

"Homicide is involved because of the unusual circumstances," he said, but declined to say what those circumstances might have been.

"The totality of the circumstances surrounding their disappearance was quite out of character for this family," he said.

There was no indication the McStays had gone on a planned trip, Brugos said, and it would be out of character for them to leave for so long without sharing their plans or talking with family and friends.

Investigators then learned that the McStays' car had been found abandoned near the U.S.-Mexico border in San Ysidro, and was subsequently towed and impounded in the days after the family's disappearance, Brugos said.

Investigators have notified Mexican authorities and will look through surveillance video at the border crossing, Brugos said.

The abandoned car didn't raise any red flags when it was found, Brugos said, because no one knew the family was missing.

The home is on the east side of Interstate 15 near the Highway 76 exit.

County listings show that the four-bedroom, three-bathroom home was bought in November for $330,000.

The elder McStay said his son and daughter-in-law had just moved to the Bonsall area from Orange County.

Joseph McStay owns EIP, or Earth Inspired Products, in which he designs interior water features, his father said.

He started the business in his garage, and in less than a year had so much success that he was able to move into a commercial building.

His father said his son is a talented artist and businessman, and added that "even at 40 years old, everybody still calls him Joey."

Joseph McStay is described as white, with brown hair and brown eyes, about 5 feet 9 inches tall, and 175 pounds.

Summer McStay, a stay-at-home mom, is also known as Lisa Aranda-Martelli, according to homicide detectives.

She is described as a Colombian woman with brown hair and brown eyes, about 5 feet 5 inches tall, and about 115 pounds.

Anyone with information on the McStays' whereabouts was asked to call the Sheriff's Department at 858-974-2321, or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers at 888-580-8477 or online at sdcrimestoppers.com.

Call staff writer Teri Figueroa at 760-740-5442.
Bonsall is not too far from me and I didn't even know these people were missing. A woman's severed head with brown hair was found in a backpack in the desert near Barstow last week. Barstow is in the opposite direction from Bonsall (if the family headed to Mexico where the car was found), but I suppose it is a possibility. The 15 goes north from Bonsall up to Barstow.
http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-missing-follow,0,335655.story

Fallbrook family missing, brother speaks FALLBROOK, Calif. -
Still no word from Joseph McStay's family and his brother, Mike believes there's foul play.

Mike McStay said the family would never just up and leave. He's worried someone may have taken the family for money, but the truth is he has no idea what happened to them.

The entire family has been missing from their Fallbrook home for over two weeks.

The family was last heard from on February 4th. On February 6th, Mike said Joseph's cell phone went down. Eight hours later, Summer's cell went dead. On February, 8th, the family's Isuzu Trooper was found in San Ysidro. Mike McStay told Fox 5 News the family was alerted that the McStay's were missing by a business associate on February 9th. That same day, he said a family friend went to the home in Fallbrook to check and saw no sign of them. He noticed the McStay's two beloved dogs had been left without food and water.

"That's basically what rattled everyone's cage because the dogs are an extenuation of their family," said Mike McStay.

Mike went to check out the home on Saturday, February 13th. He said he was worried but was hoping for the best.

"My mom is distraught my dad, you know what parents are thinking, they're just, this is just overwhelming," he said. "I'm just trying to keep it together honestly at this point."

On Monday February 15th McStay filed a missing persons report. He said he waited a few days to make sure the family was really missing

"I said 'look guys maybe they took a three day weekend and then ran it into the next week and I'll give them till Monday, give them 'til 9, 10 o'clock," he explained. "After that, it's it."

McStay is taking care of his brothers two dogs. He said he doesn't know anyone who would want to hurt his brother or his family, and he doesn't know of anything his brother is involved with that isn't on the up and up.

"My brother has a lot of great, great friends which is a testament to his heart," McStay said.

San Diego Sheriff's Office Homicide detectives said Tuesday they have no new leads and there wasn't a sign of a struggle inside the home. Anyone with any information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477. ]
http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-missing-follow,0,335655.story

this is just creepy....my instincts r tellin me the man killed his family, disposed of their bodies and high-tailed it to mexico...i hope im wrong:dong:

A woman's severed head with brown hair was found in a backpack in the desert near Barstow last week. Barstow is in the opposite direction from Bonsall (if the family headed to Mexico where the car was found), but I suppose it is a possibility. The 15 goes north from Bonsall up to Barstow.
This is chilling IF its true

I think TwiztidAngel's theory is right. I hope we are both wrong, and they are alive but it doesn't seem like it will turn out well.

OMFG I have to quit looking at these links!!Nice to see see your name AGAIN MJC!!Those links are as bad as Dmaxs "special" buttons.You know you shouldnt click it yet you just cant help it!Can you imagine searching for cans and finding a head???Try and top that story at the next big family dinner

Police, relative: California family's disappearance doesn't add up(CNN) --
A close relative of a missing Southern California family fears they may have been kidnapped.

"My gut feeling is telling me that they are being held against their will in some way," said Michael McStay, brother of Joseph McStay. "That's my personal opinion. That's what I think."

Joseph McStay, 40, his wife, Summer, 43, and their two children, Gianna, 4, and Joseph, 3, have not been seen or heard from since February 4. Concerned relatives contacted authorities, who then conducted a welfare check of the family's home on February 15, the San Diego County Sheriff's Office said.

An SUV belonging to the family was found abandoned near the Mexican border. The McStays' home is in Fallbrook, an unincorporated area about 45 miles north of San Diego.

"At this point it just seems to be a mystery," sheriff's Lt. Dennis Brugos said. "There is a chance the family could have voluntarily left and disappeared, but it's unlikely."

Michael McStay said he usually speaks to his older brother at least once a week.

"Every Friday he would call me, and we'd be talking for a while," Michael McStay said. "We were tight. We've always been tight."

The Sheriff's Office said evidence at the family home "suggested that the family had not left on a planned vacation," and that "the totality of the circumstances surrounding their disappearance was quite out of character for the family."

Brugos said the McStays' two dogs were left at the home unattended and without food or water.

"I think there were some food items left out that should have been refrigerated," Brugos added. "Those types of things sparked our attention, and on the chance that this turns into a criminal investigation, we want to be on the ground floor with this thing."

After the SUV was found in San Ysidro, two blocks from the Mexican border, "it was processed with a search warrant," Brugos said. "There was nothing in the car ... suggesting that this was some criminal act."

However, investigators are not ruling out the possibility of foul play and have assigned the case to the sheriff's homicide detail.

"There is nothing illegal about disappearing," Brugos said. "[But] in this particular case, according to relatives, it would be out of character just to disappear without notifying family members."

Brugos also said it was unlikely the McStays were targeted by a Mexican drug cartel. "There is nothing in Joseph or his wife's life or background that would suggest [or] that would put them in a high risk of any criminal activity," he said.

He said interviews with relatives and friends indicate no internal signs of marital trouble or conflict.

"Everyone has issues in every family, but as far as a family just disappearing, there is nothing to suggest they would do just that," he said.

Michael McStay said his brother is fun-loving and easygoing.

"He's creative, he's just, you know, people like to hang with him, both of them," Michael McStay said. "Summer is very intelligent, very educated, a heck of a mom. ... This doesn't add up."

Joseph McStay is self-employed, creating and installing indoor water features, Brugos said.

He called the disappearance of the McStay family unsettling and unusual. "We've had cases where there have been incidents, but relatively quickly we are able to determine what happened," he said. "In this particular case, it's been quite a while."

Joseph McStay, 40, is 5 feet 9 and weighs 175 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes. Summer McStay, also known as Lisa Aranda-Martelli, is 43, 5 feet 5, 115 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of the McStay family is urged to contact Sgt. Dave Martinez of the San Diego County Sheriff's Office at 858-565-5200. Anonymous calls can be made to 888-580-8477.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/22/california.missing.family/index.html STORY HIGHLIGHTS
NEW: Missing man's brother: Gut feeling tells me someone is holding family
Couple, two children haven't been heard from since February 4
Family's SUV found near the Mexican border
At home, dogs were left without water; perishable food left out

Mind-blowing new developments in the mysterious case of the family of 4 who vanished from their California home; investigators are furiously searching for Joseph and Summer McStay and their 2 children. Passing out this flier to everyone near the Mexican border where the family`s car was found abandoned.
Tonight, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children has joined the search. They believe there is a chance the family walked across the border into Tijuana. And law enforcement shares that theory. Right now, investigators are sifting through hours of surveillance footage from the border crossing hoping for a glimpse of this family.

Plus, we`ve got mind-boggling new details. The McStays` cell phones went dead February 6th. Tonight we`re find two cell phones were found inside their home. But investigators tell ISSUES the couple might have had other phones. They also tell us they`re expecting brand new information from the McStays` phone records tonight.

The family was last heard from February 4th. But was there a mystery call the next day on February 5th? And a bizarre twist just into ISSUES: we spoke to one of Joseph McStay`s close friends. And he says he was blown away when he found out it took 11 days for people to notice that this family was missing.
rest is at http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1002/24/ijvm.01.html bottom half of the transcript that comes up

Eleven days? How old are the children?

If he was self-employed and had absolutely nothing going on at work and she was a home-maker, I can sort of see nobody missing them for a while, but surely the children went to school? Or kindergarten?

Last edited:
Eleven days? How old are the children?

If he was self-employed and had absolutely nothing going on at work and she was a home-maker, I can sort of see nobody missing them for a while, but surely the children went to school? Or kindergarten?
Gianni McStay, 4, and Joseph Mateo McStay, 3,

2mopnro.jpg
<<Gianni,4
2n6vort.jpg
<<Gianni,4 & Joey,3
2uikryw.jpg
<<Gianni,4
2u5djti.jpg
<<Joseph Mateo,3 yrs old
2wdocjt.jpg
<<<Joey,,Heres a few pics of the boys I realllllllllllllly am praying they are o.k but have seen to many times where its not a happy ending

I loveeeeeeeeeeeee the long hair.My Casey had long hair up until he turned 18 he got it cut short and came home.I cried all night

California police search for missing familyCNN) --
Police in Southern California are working with Mexican authorities in the search for a missing family and poring over hundreds of hours of border security videotapes, hoping to find some clues.

"We are reviewing a lot of surveillance tapes," said Lt. Dennis Brugos of the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. "On a daily basis, there may be up to 100,000 people who cross that border."

The Center for Missing and Exploited Children is also assisting in the scrutinizing of the tapes, he said.

Joseph McStay, 40; his wife, Summer, 43; and their two children, Gianni, 4, and Joseph, 3, have not been seen or heard from since February 4. Concerned relatives contacted authorities, who checked the family's home February 15, the sheriff's department said.

A vehicle belonging to the family was found abandoned near the Mexican border. The McStays' home is in Fallbrook, an unincorporated area about 45 miles north of San Diego.

The sheriff's department said two Mexican liaison detectives are conferring with their counterparts across the border.

"They were on this investigation right from the start," Brugos said. "They check the morgue, the airport, bus terminal, contact the taxi drivers who frequent the border area.

"At this point, it just seems to be a mystery," Brugos added. "There is a chance the family could have voluntarily left and disappeared, but it's unlikely."

Michael McStay, Joseph McStay's brother, fears that they may have been kidnapped.

"My gut feeling is telling me that they are being held against their will in some way," he said.

Michael McStay said he usually speaks to his older brother at least once a week. "Every Friday, he would call me, and we'd be talking for a while. We were tight. We've always been tight."

The sheriff's office said evidence at the family home "suggested that the family had not left on a planned vacation" and that "the totality of the circumstances surrounding their disappearance was quite out of character for the family."

Brugos said the McStays' two dogs were left at the home unattended and without food or water.

"I think there were some food items left out that should have been refrigerated," Brugos added. "Those types of things sparked our attention, and on the chance that this turns into a criminal investigation, we want to be on the ground floor with this thing."

After the family's SUV was found in San Ysidro, two blocks from the Mexican border, "it was processed with a search warrant," Brugos said. "There was nothing in the car ... suggesting that this was some criminal act."

However, investigators are not ruling out the possibility of foul play and have assigned the case to the sheriff's homicide detail.

They are as close as newlyweds. Everyone needs to be on the lookout for them, because something is wrong.

"There is nothing illegal about disappearing," Brugos said. "[But] in this particular case, according to relatives, it would be out of character just to disappear without notifying family members."

Brugos also said it was unlikely the McStays were targeted by a Mexican drug cartel.

"There is nothing in Joseph or his wife's life or background that would suggest [or] that would put them in a high risk of any criminal activity," he said.

He said interviews with relatives and friends indicate no internal signs of marital trouble or conflict.

"Everyone has issues in every family, but as far as a family just disappearing, there is nothing to suggest they would do just that," he said.

A good friend of the McStays', who did not want to give her name because she said she feared for her safety, echoed that sentiment.

"They wouldn't have left. They didn't flee," she said. "They are as close as newlyweds. Everyone needs to be on the lookout for them, because something is wrong."

The friend said she spoke with the McStays on February 3 or 4, right before they disappeared.

"Everything was fine. [Summer] was excited. She was painting the kitchen. Everything was good. The kids were playing outside," the friend said. "Nothing out of the ordinary that would give us any reason to think there was a problem."

She also said the couple would not have willingly traveled to Mexico.

"We had talked about a year and a half ago about going on a vacation together and said it would be nice to go to Mexico, but it's too unsafe," she said.
Michael McStay said his brother is fun-loving and easygoing.

"He's creative, he's just, you know, people like to hang with him, both of them," Michael McStay said. "Summer is very intelligent, very educated, a heck of a mom. ... This doesn't add up."

Joseph McStay is self-employed, creating and installing indoor water features, Brugos said.

Brugos called the disappearance of the McStay family unsettling and unusual.

"We've had cases where there have been incidents, but relatively quickly, we are able to determine what happened," he said. "In this particular case, it's been quite a while."

Joseph McStay is 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs 175 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes. Summer McStay, also known as Lisa Aranda-Martelli, is 5 feet 5 inches tall and 115 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of the McStay family is urged to contact Sgt. Dave Martinez of the San Diego County Sheriff's Department at 858-565-5200. Anonymous calls can be made to 888-580-8477.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/25/california.missing.family/index.html
hrlir5.jpg
<Summer McStay
DOB: Dec 27, 1966
Sex: Female
Race: White
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5'5" (165 cm)
Weight: 115 lbs (52 kg)
2i09d3n.jpg
<Joseph McStay
DOB: Nov 20, 1969
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9" (175 cm)
Weight: 175 lbs (79 kg)
2nar3n8.jpg
<Gianni
DOB Jul 9, 2005
Missing: Feb 4, 2010
Age Now: 4
Height: 3'0" (91 cm)
Weight: 40 lbs (18 kg)
Missing From:
FALLBROOK
CA
United States
3358jus.jpg
<Joey <
DOB: Jan 31, 2007
Missing: Feb 4, 2010
Age Now: 3
Height: 2'6" (76 cm)
Weight: 35 lbs (16 kg)
Missing From:
FALLBROOK
CA
United States
This was just released with new info about them disecting border tapes into Mexico

Last edited:
I leave 'should be refrigerated' stuff out all the time while I'm cooking. Then the next day I see it and throw it out and buy more that I seem to be destined to leave out at some point. Lather,rinse,repeat.
However I would NEVER leave my dog unattended without his food and water. If I'm out of the house for more than 12 hours I make arrangements for him.
That was a red flag, as is this..
"There is nothing in Joseph or his wife's life or background that would suggest [or] that would put them in a high risk of any criminal activity," he said.

So what exactly does this guy mean? Do they have friends/relatives that may make them a target for medium to low risk action or did he just phrase it poorly?
This isn't the colony of Roanoke, entire families vanishing kind of stands out.
CROATAN

A nationally known search-and-rescue team is joining the hunt for a missing Fallbrook family and bringing some high-tech equipment with them.

Over the next several days, Texas Equusearch will use an unmanned drone to search for the McStay family, who have been missing for 3 weeks.

The radio-controlled drone aircraft are based out of San Diego State University. When they are launched, they can search every inch of a 15-mile area in a matter of minutes.

The drones feed high-resolution digital images and GPS locations back to the search team.
[...]
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-missing-family,0,919990.story

This is the first I have heard of this case. One thing I find odd is that if he had 2 partners in his business with him then why did it take so long for anyone to notice they were missing? I guess its possible that they are not in daily contact with each other and maybe the partners are just financial backers and are not involved in the day to day business. With Mexico being involved and them being so close to the border I have a feeling that this is going to come down to having to do something with drugs or money. And I dont think its the McStays that were involved but maybe someone in their life was and they found out. Hate the unknown and unanswered questions..cant imagine what their family is going through.

McStay Family Still Missing; Private Search Firm Texas Equusearch to Assist

McStay Family Still Missing; Private Search Firm Texas Equusearch to Assist
The McStay family is still missing, a month after their 1996 Isuzu Trooper was found in a San Ysidro towing lot two blocks away from the the US-Mexico border. The McStay family (Joseph McStay, Summer McStay, and sons Gianni and Joey McStay), who live in Fallbrook, California, were last seen on February 4.

Law enforcement officials from both sides of the border have been searching for the McStay family, but have turned up no leads. Texas Equusearch, a private, nonprofit missing-persons firm, has joined the search for the missing California family at the request of Patrick McStay, Joseph McStay's father. Texas Equusearch was also involved in the searches for Natalee Holloway and Caylee Anthony.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/mcstay-family-still-missing-texas-equusearch-joins-hunt-2585739.html

WOW A GLIMMER OF HOPE-MAYBEBut after reading it maybe not,this tape is from Feb 8 the day the family car was found.Thats exactly a month ago so not very encouraging after allNew lead in missing family case
Security tape from a border checkpoint may have captured a California family missing since February entering Mexico, authorities said. “It’s a possibility,” Sgt. Dave Martinez of the San Diego Sheriff’s Office homicide detail told CNN.

The surveillance video, taken February 8 at the San Ysidro border crossing, shows four people who appear to resemble Joseph McStay, 40; his wife, Summer, 43; and their two children, Gianni, 4, and Joseph 3, officials said.
“This might be the family going into Mexico,” Martinez said. “We can’t confirm it. We can’t rule it out because the footage is kind of grainy and it’s under ambient light. It’s dark with the shadows. It can be difficult. But it’s a possibility based on the size of the individuals.”

Martinez added that “there are other characteristics that we noticed, possibly clothing” that may indicate the four individuals are the McStays. He also described them as “walking casually toward the gate.”

The McStays have not been seen or heard from since February 4. Their abandoned SUV was found two blocks from the San Ysidro border on February 8, the sheriff’s department said. "It was processed with a search warrant," Lt Dennis Brugos of the San Diego Sheriff’s Department said. "There was nothing in the car ... suggesting that this was some criminal act."

Investigators are working with Mexican authorities and running leads in the hopes of locating the family, Martinez said. He and the other investigators assigned to the case remain baffled over the family’s disappearance.

“This is a big mystery to me, “Martinez said. “I couldn’t tell you one way or another. It’s possible they voluntarily went to Mexico. There is nothing to indicate foul play.”

However, Martinez said it is uncharacteristic for the family not to keep in contact with friends and loved ones.

“We want to make sure that the family is okay,” Martinez told CNN. “We would love to hear from them to ensure that they are safe.”

Michael McStay, the brother of Joseph Stay, said he has reviewed the checkpoint security tape and could not make a positive identification.

“Careful reviews of the video shows that there are of two or three different families passing by, one with a little girl actually, and the other with a man who walks nothing like my brother,” McStay wrote on a blog entry for www.mcstayfamily.com, the web site he created to finding them.

“We do know that a sweet, loving family is missing and the leads are far a few between,” he wrote. “We know that the community has showered us with emails, concerns, and offers to help. We know that the Detectives are hard at work on this case. We know that cases like these bring out the best in many people and the worst in a few others.”

Joseph McStay is 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs 175 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes. Summer McStay, also known as Lisa Aranda-Martelli, is 5 feet 5 inches tall and 115 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of the McStay family is urged to contact Sgt. Dave Martinez of the San Diego County Sheriff's Department at 858-565-5200. Anonymous calls can be made to 888-580-8477.

For more crime coverage go to cnn.com/crime.
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/08/new-lead-in-missing-family-case/ Even if they did cross over voluntarily into Mexoco,well I just said it MEXICO. I wouldnt set foot on that soil for anything.No matter how many times I had been there and notghing bad happening.Mexico is a crap shoot I wouldnt gamble on.

Last edited:
Family members said the chances a video released by the San Diego County Sheriff's Department contain images of a missing Fallbrook family crossing the U.S.-Mexico border are 50-50.
[...]

Inside the McStay family's home, Mike McStay and other family members watched a surveillance video obtained by sheriff's detectives that showed two adults walking with two children across the U.S.-Mexico border.

"This is not definitive enough for me to get a positive ID. It just doesn't give me enough," said Mike McStay.

Even McStay's mother said she could not identify her son from the pictures, but investigators told 10News the timing of the video is correct and the fact that the children appear to be wearing beanies might also be a clue.

Mike McStay remains skeptical, however, and after more than a month without hearing from his brother he said he can't believe he's gone.

"It's surreal …I call his phone to hear his voice … it just doesn't make sense," said Mike McStay. "The reality is we all need to be on the same page. My family's missing. They're good people. Let's go get 'em, and let's find 'em and bring 'em home."
http://www.10news.com/news/22828233/detail.html

I just dont think its them.
From everything I have read about how close they are to family members and stuff I just dont see them taking off like that.
Unless theres a back story and he was (or she was or bothj) involved in something shady and figure it was in everyones best interest including extended fasmilys
best interest to just disappear.
Sadly alot of these cases end up being killed by "someone close to them"

Back