• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
New York (CNN)
- On December 7, 1993, at around midnight, a 7-year-old boy named Jose Fuentes slipped through a hole in a high metal fence, crossing from Northern Mexico into Southern California.

Jose, with his two teenage brothers, a sister and an aunt, had finally reached the United States border after a harrowing month-long journey of more than 2,000 miles from El Salvador.

Chaos and confusion erupted at the fence when someone in the large group sneaking into the U.S. yelled "policia," according to Jose's sister, Maria Fuentes.

Jose was separated from his family in the group's mad scramble to breach the fence and dash to the American side of a two-way road guarded by the U.S. Border Patrol.

"People were running so crazy,'' said Santos Fuentes, one of Jose's brothers who made the trip. "Since everybody was running, we didn't know where he went. There's a lot of bushes and trees there. And it's dark,'' he said.

They were somewhere near San Ysidro in San Diego County but nobody, not even the authorities, knows exactly where.

Paid smugglers, or "coyotes," who shepherded Jose's family to the United States, brought them to a "safe house" in California. A search team went back to look for Jose, but without success, Fuentes said.

"Every time we talk about it, it's really hard. It's painful,'' he said.

Since everybody was running, we didn't know where he went.
Tucson, Arizona, where temperatures topping 115 degrees can turn the trip deadly.

In 1990, 41 border-crossing deaths were ruled homicides and the figure held fairly steady with 33 in 2003, according to the GAO.
[...]
As Jose Fuentes' family made the trip, Santos Fuentes, now 31, says he had no concept of the United States. "We just knew that we were going to be with my mom.''
Here to work and make money. We were four and she couldn't support us,'' he said.
[...]
Left behind, the children were raised by their grandparents in El Salvador.

As they made their way from El Salvador through Guatemala and into Mexico, Fuentes recalls riding one crowded bus, truck or van after another with dozens of of other migrants.
At one checkpoint, everyone in the truck had to lie down, hiding in a cramped compartment while inspectors looked for human cargo, Fuentes said.
[...]
"We were aware that they could catch us and send us back. We were all very scared,'' said Fuentes who lives in Fort Worth, Texas. He is studying for a master's degree in divinity and wants to be a professor of religion.

Once they were in the United States, the search for Jose was complicated by the circumstances of his disappearance and their own immigration status at the time.

In a 2008 interview with investigators at the San Diego Police Department, Maria Fuentes, a 27-year-old certified nursing assistant who works in Atlanta, Georgia, said Jose did not know his birth date or last name.

He may not have even known his given first name.
[...]
"We were from a small village and never went to school. We always called him Paquito,'' she recalled telling police.
[...]
Jose was a "normal little boy who liked to play and laugh and do things,'' Santos Fuentes said. "He was a very happy boy. We played soccer. That was our game.''

Once, the skull of a child was found. DNA from Jose's parents tested negative for a match, Hassen said.

"You have a 7-year-old who went missing 17 years ago. There are only so many resources you can put towards it,'' Hassen said, adding that many more people have disappeared in San Diego since 1993.

Jose would be 23 today.
[...]
If you have information, call The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children at 1-800-THE LOST or the San Diego Police Department tip line at 1-619-531-2000.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/15/grace.coldcase.fuentes/index.html
1z4k8ba.jpg
Jose Fuentes is shown as a child, and how he might look now, at age 23.​

This is terribly sad. Unfortunately, coming from a border town, I'm familiar with a lot of sad stories.

Paquito is so cute but looks so sad. He was only a year older than my eldest, just can't imagine him lost. I hope by some chance he found help with someone, otherwise I don't want to think of how things ended for him alone in the dark.

1z4k8ba.jpg

This is terribly sad. Unfortunately, coming from a border town, I'm familiar with a lot of sad stories.

Paquito is so cute but looks so sad. He was only a year older than my eldest, just can't imagine him lost. I hope by some chance he found help with someone, otherwise I don't want to think of how things ended for him alone in the dark.

1z4k8ba.jpg
Id love to see a happy ending but I dont even wish sometimes anymore

Back