• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The family of a woman who hanged herself in prison with her bra after guards allegedly hedged bets on her becoming suicidal has been awarded $860,000 as part of a lawsuit settlement.

Janika Edmond, 25, died in hospital several days after she used her bra to hang herself in the shower at Women's Huron Valley Correctional Facility in Michigan in 2015.

Prior to her death, Edmond had spoken of wanting to kill herself and asked prison guards for a suicide prevention vest.

Guards had allegedly made bets on whether Edmond would ask for the vest.

One guard, Diana Callahan, was allegedly caught on video pumping her fist in the air saying 'somebody owes me lunch' in an apparent response to Edmond's request.

Surveillance video taken inside the prison also showed that guards failed to immediately respond to Edmond despite audible choking sounds being heard.

Callahan was later charged in Edmond's death and was sentenced in December last year to six months in prison and two years probation for involuntary manslaughter.

She was also fired following the incident.

Edmond was in prison at the time of her death for violating probation and subsequently assaulting a guard.

Edmond was sentenced in 2011 to five years probation for assault with a dangerous weapon.

"Callahan was later charged in Edmond's death and was sentenced in December last year to six months in prison and two years probation for involuntary manslaughter."

So she asked for a suicide prevention vest and that guard simply ignored her? Am I understanding that correctly because the article didn't outright say that so I am assuming. That bitch prison guard only got 6 months for involuntary manslaughter? WTF?

Damn, I would want money, not lunch for winning. I wonder what size the bra was?
Post automatically merged:

"Callahan was later charged in Edmond's death and was sentenced in December last year to six months in prison and two years probation for involuntary manslaughter."

So she asked for a suicide prevention vest and that guard simply ignored her? Am I understanding that correctly because the article didn't outright say that so I am assuming. That bitch prison guard only got 6 months for involuntary manslaughter? WTF?
And lunch....

Back