• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Mata Hari

Dirty Gutter Bitch
Arrested for stealing $5.05 of sweets and soda, a 24-year-old who doctors repeatedly diagnosed as psychotic and delusional was left to essentially starve to death over four months in a squalid Virginia jail cell, Jamycheal Mitchell's aunt alleged in a federal lawsuit.
By the time Mitchell died in August -- officially, of a heart condition "accompanying wasting syndrome of unknown etiology" -- jail staff had allegedly denied him many meals, cut off the water to his cell and left him naked with no bedding or shoes as he smeared feces on the window of his urine-covered cell, the lawsuit states, citing numerous inmates who served time with Mitchell.

Mitchell lost about 40 pounds during his time in jail, documents say. A medical examiner said he was "nearly cachectic," meaning his weight loss could not be reversed via nutrition.
Wasting syndrome and cachectic are terms most often used with sufferers of chronic disease such as cancer and AIDS....

More at link:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/16/us/jamycheal-mitchell-hampton-roads-virginia-jail-lawsuit/index.html

Unreal. Meanwhile, Italy's highest court has ruled that stealing small amounts of food is not a crime if you are truly hungry.

In this day and age, when economic imbalance is as bad as it's been in about 100 years, combined with the fact that the mental health system has been absolutely gutted, jailing a mentally ill man for $5 of food is even worse than debtor's jail.

Our country's justice system disappoints me deeply.

And then I'm sure the jailers were "punishing" him for making a mess of his cell, denying him food and basic necessities.

He should have never died, no matter what, his condition should have appraised and then he should have been sent to a hospital, even if not a psychiatric hospital.

I just... That makes me mad, sad... So many emotions. Such a mentally ill person should never be put in prison or jail. The only appropriate place is a hospital, and FUCK the people who allowed this tragedy to happen. I hope all of their lives fall apart and they live out their days in misery, wishing for their deaths.

Problem is the mental health system which has been gutted and individuals that are a danger to themselves and others end upon committing an offence that lands them in jail. Jails have become the new madhouses run by and staffed with personnel who have little training and less sympathy for dealing with mentally ill inmates who are under their watch and in their care. Oh yes, we are such a caring nation and community until the budgets are bust and we start culling the heard beginning with the weakest in it.

Last edited:
Harrowing death of a mentally ill man trapped in our injustice system.

"(CNN)Arrested for stealing $5.05 of sweets and soda, a 24-year-old who doctors repeatedly diagnosed as psychotic and delusional was left to essentially starve to death over four months in a squalid Virginia jail cell, Jamycheal Mitchell's aunt alleged in a federal lawsuit.

By the time Mitchell died in August -- officially, of a heart condition "accompanying wasting syndrome of unknown etiology" -- jail staff had allegedly denied him many meals, cut off the water to his cell and left him naked with no bedding or shoes as he smeared feces on the window of his urine-covered cell, the lawsuit states, citing numerous inmates who served time with Mitchell."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/16/us/jamycheal-mitchell-hampton-roads-virginia-jail-lawsuit/index.html

Hope the jail has deep pockets.
Lawyerrup Time!
You mean us, the tax payers... That's why I can't stand this! The Jail and cops involved get nothing and the tax payers are the ones who suffer.
Also I have to ask, where was his family that wants 60 MILLION for wrongful death when he was hungry and starving on the outside? Where were they when he was so hungry he has to steal $5 in food and drink? Just wondering why they were not fighting to get him help.

We see this time and time over- you want to ream my ass because I didn't turn momma as 2 hours straight up but at 2 hours and 12 minutes or you want to bitch because I was fifteen minutes late on a supplemental feeding because by god she's starving! No shit! 5'10 momma didn't get 85lbs overnight and didn't get that bedsore 6"×7"x to the bone laying in our beds two days not being turned promptly on the 2 hour. WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU WHEN SHE WAS GETTING THIS WAY? Take your anger guilt out on something like YOURSELF and NOT the one's healing momma. - counts to 12 and dismounts the soap box- I wanted to punch one of these motherfuckers in the mouth today. Arguments over pain meds- there is no argument you get X amount per X time slot- can't tell an idiot that. This whole fucking scenerio played out. Thanks for the rant time.

Last edited:
I don't get why anybody would be in jail over $5 worth of food. Especially not a mentally ill man. Why wouldn't the cops just give him a court date at the most? As overcrowded as the jails ar all the time and they're wasting a cell for something as stupid as this? There are children being abused somewhere all the time! Why wont these cops worry about those offenders and lock them up!? Dude was kept for 4 damn months over $5!!! Usually the child abusers are bonded out sooner than that.

I don't get why anybody would be in jail over $5 worth of food. Especially not a mentally ill man. Why wouldn't the cops just give him a court date at the most? As overcrowded as the jails ar all the time and they're wasting a cell for something as stupid as this? There are children being abused somewhere all the time! Why wont these cops worry about those offenders and lock them up!? Dude was kept for 4 damn months over $5!!! Usually the child abusers are bonded out sooner than that.
Probably had priors. Think of the 3 strike rule in Texas- people are doing serious time for STUPID shit. Or they knew he would get a meal an the cement floor but some safety for the night.

@Satanica @cubby @Fives My Charm
Feb 20, 2019

In a 166-page report released Wednesday morning, the office of Portsmouth Commonwealth's Attorney Stephanie Morales offered the most comprehensive look yet at what led to the 2015 death of inmate Jamycheal Mitchell inside Hampton Roads Regional Jail.

But prosecutors said they still lack some necessary information about what happened to the 24-year-old man with a severe mental health problem. As such, they do not plan to file criminal charges in connection with Mitchell's "tragic and likely avoidable" death.

“We are still missing a great deal of information that would make clear whether probable cause exists to charge specific persons for specific events,” reads the report, which complains the jail’s former medical provider, Naphcare, responded to the office's probe with "resistance and obstacles."

"This case is a sad referendum on how people in positions of power and responsibility become cogs in an unfeeling wheel, immune to the plight of the weakest and most vulnerable among us," the report said.

Mitchell, who suffered from bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, died Aug. 19, 2015, at the jail. He was arrested about four months earlier for stealing $5 worth of snacks from a Portsmouth convenience store he wrongly thought was owned by his father.

After transferring from another facility, he spent 100 days at the regional jail in restrictive housing — better known as isolation.

Before Mitchell’s death, a Portsmouth judge twice ordered him transferred to Eastern State Hospital for mental health treatment. A copy of one of the orders was found after Mitchell’s death in the drawer of a hospital employee's desk with about a dozen others.

Mitchell’s family filed a lawsuit in 2016, claiming he was beaten, starved and treated “like a circus animal” in the months leading up to his death. The suit, which is in the process of being settled for $3 million, said Mitchell was ultimately left to die in his cell as fellow inmates pleaded with guards to get him help.

Continue reading at Link

Feel free to commit a crime in Hampton Roads— if you withhold impotant information long enough, the prosecutor will give up and go away

Back