• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

BreakTheSilence

This was a little too close to home for me! I until about 6 months ago lived in the exact area this happened. I'm so thankful I moved away.

EVANSVILLE — Evansville police are searching for a man who they say lured a juvenile into his vehicle Tuesday and committed a sexual assault before the juvenile could escape.
Sgt. Jason Cullum said the incident happened around 5 p.m. in an alley near Maxwell Avenue and Elliott Street, about three blocks east of Garvin Park.
The suspect is described by police as a light-skinned black male with black hair and a beard, driving a maroon, four-door vehicle with a tan or brown interior and tinted windows.
He was wearing a red and white shirt with vertical stripes at the time of the incident, according to police.
Cullum said the man pulled up near two juveniles in the maroon automobile and spoke to them. Cullum declined to say how the man went about trying to lure the juveniles into the vehicle, but one of them did enter the vehicle, which was then driven away.
The juvenile was in the automobile for only a short time, but he reported to police that a sexual assault occurred, Cullum said.
Cullum declined to say how the juvenile escaped the vehicle or the extent of the juvenile's injuries, if any.
After the abduction occurred, the child who remained in the alley ran to the residence of the juvenile who was taken away in the automobile, Cullum said.
Police will have an added patrol presence in the area today, Cullum said, adding that police are asking for the public for any tips regarding the suspect.
The suspect was a stranger to the two juveniles, Cullum said. He declined to reveal the gender or age of either one of the juveniles.
Cullum, a city police spokesman, was joined at a news conference about the incident Tuesday night by Police Chief Billy Bolin and Vanderburgh County Prosecutor Nick Hermann.
"It's an unusual incident for Evansville," Cullum said.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2012/feb/01/no-headline---ev_assault/

Way to go Evansville Police Department for getting this trash off the street and protecting children.

Wednesday morning, Evansville Police Department charged Jack Perkins III, 26, of 232 West Florida St. with two counts of child molesting and one count of criminal confinement in connection with the incident. He is being held without bond in the Vanderburgh County Jail.
Perkins is to make an initial court appearance today in the case in which police department spokesman Sgt. Jason Cullum said was "very rare for Evansville."
"We're not happy with this case by any means," Cullum said at a news conference Wednesday, "but we are glad that we were able to take this person off the streets within 24 hours of this crime occurring."
The incident occurred about 5 p.m. Tuesday, according to police, when two children were walking in an alley near Maxwell Avenue and Elliott Street — about three blocks east of Garvin Park — before one of them was lured into the suspect's car.
That child eventually escaped, but not before being sexually assaulted, police said.
"This appears to be a completely random event," Cullum said.
The suspect was described as a light-skinned black male with black hair and a beard, driving a maroon, four-door vehicle with a tan or brown interior and tinted windows.
Thanks to local media and tips, police found Perkins about 10:30 a.m. and he agreed to speak with police. Cullum said he later confessed.
"I believe this is an emotional case for us ," Cullum said. "Most of us are parents."
Cullumm said Perkins' only previous local criminal history involved a shoplifting case in 2004.
If anyone has information regarding any similar unsolved or unreported cases, Cullum asked them to call Detective Brian Turpin at 812-435-6261."

Here's some information I wasn't aware of. I feel a little better about my kids going to school in this district.

Evansville-Vanderburgh School Corp spokeswoman Marsha Jackson said schools have "Stranger Danger" sessions at least once a year, and teachers occasionally discuss such safety tips throughout the year.

Jackson said bus drivers are trained to be cautious of child safety and will call 911 if they suspect a suspicious person or vehicle near stops.
Jackson said she hasn't been told if the children in Tuesday's incident are EVSC students.
Daryl Hagan, superintendent of the Catholic schools of the Dioceses of Evansville, said its schools don't bus their students and adhere strictly to who parents say can pick up their child.
"Sometimes they'll put grandma on the list, but they won't put grandpa," Hagan said about parents.
"And then grandpa comes to pick up the child, and, yes, we know that's grandpa, but grandpa's not on the list. So, until we can reach the parent by phone, that child's not going anywhere."
Mills said she's not sure what school the children in Tuesday's incident attend, but she said all 114 of her students were accounted for Wednesday.
Jackson acknowledged that schools can only do so much to prevent such incidents.
"We do what we can ...," she said, "but it's really important, too, for parents to take that active role and have those conversation with kids."

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2012/feb/01/no-headline---ev_abduction/

Back