• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
We have them in our larger/city public libraries. We've already had a few OD's and found paraphernalia and unfortunately they're in restrooms also used by kids. We're considering getting them in a couple of our suburban libraries, including the one I work for. Unfortunately being public buildings we don't have the option of refusing non-paying customers because none of our customers technically are paying customers. We just have to keep our fingers crossed people are with it enough to use them.

I've seen sharps containers in public restrooms for several years now. I've even seen them at church. Nothing new here.

I remember growing up Mc Donalds had a twenty minute time limit and the mall it was located in put metal studs on places that teens might try to sit so they did not hang out and disrupt the actual paying customers.

Could all these virtue signalers be upset because they have to endure the mess that they want others to accept.

Or they could just train their employees not to discriminate against black people or other people of color. Seems like a much better solution.

And the 2 black guys did not refuse to buy, they merely said they were waiting for someone and would order all together. Since whites at that Starbucks were allowed to do that, it actually was discrimination.

Well, they did do that. "No discrimination allowed against anyone at Starbucks! Even if they are obviously junkie pieces of shit who aren't buying anything!!" They signaled their 'wokeness' and it's gonna cost them. Go woke, go broke. Or just install facilities to allow the scum of the Earth to use your business as a shooting gallery.

And that was where they went wrong. Instead of simply training their employees not to discriminate based on race, they decided to open a "shooting galley". Stupid decision. Poor result.

And that was where they went wrong. Instead of simply training their employees not to discriminate based on race, they decided to open a "shooting galley". Stupid decision. Poor result.

I don't agree is was racial but I do agree with your point. They fucked up royal. Their response should have been "Anyone who is hanging out in Starbucks without buying anything gets kicked out, regardless of what they look like." And not "Everyone gets to hang out in Starbucks regardless of what they look like."

Last edited:
Agree. They fucked up royal. Their response should have been "Anyone who is hanging out in Starbucks without buying anything gets kicked out, regardless of what they look like."

That would work too. As long as they apply it to everyone equally, no problem.

Last edited:
Well, well, well. Didn't seem to be such good idea. Who would have thought? :penguin:

Starbucks reconsidering open bathroom policy due to safety fears: CEO Schultz​

Starbucks is considering an end to the “open bathroom” policy at its stores due to mounting concerns about public safety, CEO Howard Schultz said.

Schultz said Starbucks was exploring whether to alter the policy, which allows non-customers to use store bathrooms, due to a nationwide “mental health” problem that was posing difficulties for the coffeehouse chains’ employees.

“There is an issue of, just, safety in our stores, in terms of people coming in who use our stores as a public bathroom,” Schultz said during a New York Times DealBook event Thursday. “We have to provide a safe environment for our people and our customers. The mental health crisis in the country is severe, acute and getting worse.”

“We have to harden our stores and provide safety for our people,” Schultz added. “I don’t know if we can keep our bathrooms open.

Starbucks has allowed open use of its store bathrooms since May 2018. The Seattle-based company implemented the policy after an incident at a Philadelphia store in which police arrested two Black men after a Starbucks manager denied them from using the bathroom and accused them of trespassing.

Starbucks has nasty burnt, bitter coffee. But a great marketing machine, they got people to believe the garbage was good. Shows how easily people can be manipulated, cracks me up when I hear stupid people say espresso and lattes were invented in Seattle Washington
Brandon says, if you don’t drink Starbucks, you ain’t woke

Last edited:
Starbucks is closing 16 stores around the country because of repeated safety issues, including drug use and other disruptive behaviors that threaten staff.

The coffee giant is closing six stores in its hometown of Seattle, six in Los Angeles, two in Portland, Oregon and one each in Philadelphia and Washington.

Starbucks said employees at those stores will be given the opportunity to transfer to other stores.
Starbucks said Tuesday the closures are part of a larger effort to respond to staff concerns and make sure stores are safe and welcoming.
In a letter to employees, Starbucks' senior vice presidents of operations Debbie Stroud and Denise Nelson said the company's stores aren't immune from problems like rising drug use and a growing mental health crisis.
"We know these challenges can, at times, play out within our stores too. We read every incident report you file — it's a lot," Stroud and Nelson wrote.
Starbucks also noted an effort — now in eight cities — called Outreach Worker, which connects store employees to nonprofit groups who can help with patrons who are chronically homeless, mentally ill or abusing drugs.

The company also said restrooms at some stores might be closed if they become a safety hazard.
That's a reversal from 2018, when Starbucks issued a policy allowing anyone to use its restrooms even if they didn't buy anything. That decision was made after a Starbucks employee called police to report two Black men who were denied the use of a restroom and asked to leave. The men, who were in Starbucks waiting for a business meeting, were arrested; they later reached a settlement with Starbucks.

Oh NOES! Whatever will I do? Even though I'm nowhere near either of the ones closing in Portland (they're both on the Eastside and I'm Westside chick) the landscape of my hometown will never be the same. Guess I'll just keep drinking the Folger's at my local bodega instead, it only costs a dollar when I bring my own mug... :banghead:

PS: Pretty sure we warned them a couple of years ago that their hippy-dippy shit wasn't going to work, but hey, what do us normal folks, the ones with the cash, know? :shifty:

Maybe they shouldn't have done this.

Starbucks has announced it will be adding safe needle disposal boxes in bathrooms in 25 U.S. markets, in areas deemed high-risk.
[....]
The Starbucks in Ballard on the corner of Market and 22nd had the sharps boxes installed in December, store manager Chris tells My Ballard.

Chris says employees were finding needles frequently. “They would come in waves. Some days we would find a couple, or we could go weeks without seeing any,” he says. “It was very inconsistent.”

All the same, it put staff at risk every time they found one.

“They feel a lot better now because they don’t have to be afraid of being poked by a needle,” Chris says. “It’s safer for them.”

Since the boxes were installed, Chris said they’re seeing fewer needles. And, they haven’t had to empty it since it was installed.

“It’s hard to tell if the problem has gotten better, but we’re having less incidents,” he says.

The type of people who would throw used needles on the floor or wherever wouldn't use the boxes anyway, so what have you accomplished? Nothing. You haven't had to empty them because no one is using them. Damn if I would just assume that because a needle disposal box is right in front of me that someone has used it, I'd still have to make sure before I did anything that might get me stuck with a needle.

Starbucks has created the situation by trying to be as trendy woke as possible to profit from the most willing to throw money away

Millennials represent the largest group of consumers

Millennials are a group of people who were born between 1981 and 1996, which makes them between 22 and 37 years old in 2018.

They're just doing it because its easier and cheaper to shutdown the stores than it is to change company policy to have some teeth or deal with a lawsuit because your corporate polices caused a unsafe work environment.

[....]
Starbucks employees in Philadelphia can now close public bathrooms for perceived safety concerns — an apparent shift from the company's existing open-bathroom policy.

As first reported by the Philadelphia Inquirer, the ability to close the facilities is a departure from the company's open-bathroom policy, enacted in 2018 following the controversial arrest of two Black men at a downtown Philadelphia Starbucks.

It also comes just days after the company announced it will close 16 U.S. locations with "a high volume of challenging incidents that make it unsafe to continue to operate," Insider reported.

In May 2018, the two men settled a lawsuit with Starbucks for an undisclosed sum after they were arrested on trespassing charges while waiting for someone for a business meeting. According to officials, the two men walked in and sat down, but then were denied use of the restrooms because they had not purchased anything. They were then asked to leave.

When they refused, a staff member called the police and the men were arrested on suspicion of trespassing, charges that were later dropped by Starbucks. The incident prompted national outcry against the coffee chain, leading then-CEO Kevin Johnson to publicly apologize and mandate anti-bias training for all staffers.

According to a Starbucks spokesperson, the Philadelphia shift is "not a change of policy", but instead a reiteration of existing policy that allows employees to maintain safety by closing bathrooms on a case-by-case basis.

In a statement shared to the Starbucks website earlier this week, Debbie Stroud and Denise Nelson, senior vice presidents of U.S. operations, explained how the company plans to improve workplace safety, noting "creating a safe, welcoming, and kind third place is our top priority."
[....]
The shift in Philadelphia comes after Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz last month said the company was reconsidering the open-bathroom policy. "We have to harden our stores and provide safety for our people," he told the New York Times. "I don't know if we can keep our bathrooms open."

His comments are a departure from his statement in 2018 after the Philadelphia incident when Schultz was executive chairman.

"We don't want to become a public bathroom, but we're going to make the right decision 100% of the time and give people the key, because we don't want anyone at Starbucks to feel as if we are not giving access to you to the bathroom because you are less than," Schultz said at the time.
[....]

Any responsible person who has ever taken care of children know what I'm about to say to be true, you give an inch and they'll take a mile. If you pretend that Starbucks is a nursery full of little kids, you know that there has to be rules that everybody needs to abide by. Take away the rules, then you have chaos, or a Starbuck's bathroom full of used needles and most likely filth.

The list of stores.. all the cities that have an extensive homeless problem that the councils have prohibited the police from doing anything about.

White Starbucks manager wins $25M suit claiming she was fired over her race after arrest of black men​

A white Starbucks manager who was fired after two black men were refused access to a Philadelphia store bathroom — triggering nationwide racial protests — has been awarded $25 million by a federal jury after she argued she was axed because of her race.

Shannon Phillips, a regional manager who oversaw several Starbucks locations across New Jersey and Pennsylvania, argued in a lawsuit she was cut loose by the coffee giant after viral footage of the two black men being arrested in 2018 sparked a firestorm of racial backlash.

I was in Tim Hortons last week. Needed the facilities and I noticed they have a Sharps drop box in the restroom. I then realized I'd been noticing them for some time. They even had them in Wendy's and McDonald's restrooms. The downward spiral continues

Starbucks manager who claims she was fired for being white awarded another $2.7M​

A white Starbucks manager who was fired after two black men were refused access to a Philadelphia store bathroom was awarded $2.7 million to cover the legal fees associated with her wrongful termination lawsuit, which already awarded her $25 million.

In an order filed in New Jersey federal court on Wednesday, a judge said Starbucks would has to pay Shannon Phillips — a regional manager who oversaw several Starbucks locations across New Jersey and Pennsylvania — $2.7 million.

The court filing is the latest in Phillips’ case with the coffeehouse chain, which began back in 2018 when Phillips claims she was used as a “scapegoat” as Starbucks found itself as the center of a racial firestorm.

The saga unfolded when an employee at Starbucks’ Rittenhouse Square location in Philadelphia called 911 on April 12, 2018, after two black men — Rashon Nelson and Donte Robinson — were denied access to the bathroom because they weren’t paying customers.

Nelson and Robinson then refused to leave, claiming they simply sat at a table waiting for a potential real estate business partner to arrive.

When the police arrived, the men were arrested for trespassing.

Phillips was not involved in the arrests, according to the lawsuit first filed in 2019, and she fired a month after the ordeal.

Starbucks vaguely said that the reason for termination after a 13-year tenure at the company was that “the situation is not recoverable.”

Starbucks “took steps to punish white employees who had not been involved in the arrests, but who worked in and around the city of Philadelphia, in an effort to convince the community that it had properly responded to the incident,” the complaint said.

It was later revealed during a six-day trial that another manager of the Philly store, who is black, kept his job — a move Phillips’ attorney, Laura Mattiacci, told jurors was because of his skin color.

Back