• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
[....]
John Martin Hill, 35, was arrested Tuesday night on an outstanding warrant for theft by deception, a felony, in Franklin, Tennessee, according to Gwinnett County Police.
full

Police said Hill and the victim from Alpharetta, Georgia, began talking on Match.com on March 27, met in person later that day, and were quickly engaged.

Hill told the woman that he was a millionaire. "During their short romance, he convinced her that they were in love and wanted to buy a house together," police said in a statement.

The victim gave Hill more than $80,000 to put toward the cost of the home, but he cut all contact with her after receiving the money, police said.

Hill lived in Duluth, Georgia, with another woman and a child, and had recently bought a 2014 BMW that he painted black, according to a subsequent investigation by Gwinnett County's Electronic and Financial Crimes Unit.

Police said Wednesday that after releasing information about the victim from Georgia, several women had reported to them that they were in a relationship with Hill, or knew women who were.

Hill has changed his name more than five times in two and a half years, and is also wanted in Virginia, Delaware, Maryland and New Jersey for similar schemes, authorities said.
[....]

Guy tried this on me once in a dating app. Said he needed $1500 to get through customs in Africa and ‘come home’ to me. I said no. Suddenly he only needed $300 to get through customs. That was the end of our budding relationship.

Money can't buy you love, but a Georgia man who used Match.com to meet the supposed woman of his dreams showed his love's money could buy an $80,000 BMW -- a car the 34-year-old used to skip town and leave his lady high and dry, until the law caught up with him.

The so-called "Sweethart Swindler" known as John Martin Hill, 34, pleaded guilty Wednesday to one count of theft by taking and one count of perjury, Gwinnett County District Attorney's Office spokesman Dan Mayfield said. He was sentenced to seven years behind bars and another 13 on probation.

Hill convinced the woman -- a widow with three children -- that he was a millionaire and in love with her. They decided to wed within a week of meeting on the dating site, and Hill told her the $80,000 he took from her would go toward their dream home, as well as some furniture.

Cpl. Michele Pihera told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that once the woman gave Hill the money, she never heard from him again. The woman also didn't know that Hill was reportedly already living in an apartment nearby with another woman and child and had only $6 to his name.

After Hill's arrest, other women came forward and said they, too, had been duped by the local Lothario.

Back