• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Old Man Metal

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
full

Iron Maiden have announced the latest in a series of Maiden-branded beer releases, and they are going back to the start by releasing a keg-only nitro version of their venerable Trooper ESB.

Brewed by Robinsons Family Brewers, and named for the iconic 1983 song about the Charge of the Light Brigade, Trooper is a decent traditional British ESB; it averages 3.44 out of 5 on Beer Advocate; I rated it a bit higher, but there are certainly better ESBs out there (including its limited-release big brother Trooper 666).

The new version of Trooper is "charged with nitrogen and Co2 (sic)." That's a bit ambiguous, but it sounds like they're force-carbonating it and then kegging it with nitrogen. The benefits? Trooper brand manager Sam Kennerley says that the result is "an awesome longer-lasting keg-conditioned Trooper ale whose deep and complex flavor has been enhanced with a cooler temperature and a perfect serve."

Marketing kerfluffery aside, nitrogen does two things to beer: it provides an insanely big, silky, creamy mouthfeel, and it decreases the intensity of the flavor of the beer. A lot. It's a tradeoff: crazy mouthfeel for a lot less flavor. Nitrogen does the opposite of enhance beer flavor. And colder beer isn't more flavorful, either. That's just physics, sorry.

The impact on flavor is why a lot of beer aficionados hate nitro beers. I think nitro has its place in the world of good beer. If I'm drinking a style that is not based around big, big flavors and that can benefit from the improvement in mouthfeel, I don't mind a nitro beer occasionally.

Boddington's Pub Ale on nitro, for example (and a lot of people hate it, I know); when I'm drinking an English Pale Ale, I don't necessarily mind giving up some of what flavor there is for the big boost in drinkability that you get from the nitro-enhanced mouthfeel. The same for a milk stout, Left Hand Brewing Company's Milk Stout Nitro being a perfect example. On the other hand, for big, bold styles like an IPA or a Russian Imperial Stout, nitro makes no sense to me.

All that said, I've never had a nitro ESB, so I don't know how well this beer might land on the tradeoff balance. I do know, however, that it would be cold and wet and would go down dangerously smooth.

The world of hoity toity, designer beer annoys the fuck out of me.

Iron Maiden fucking rules though, top 5 for me i think, top 8 for suresies. Wish they would spent less time with beer and more time NOT spewing out boring, generic, forgettable new tracks. That last album was a fucking bore. Hang up the creative hats gentlemen and just play the good stuff please.

I really took to the warm, thick, deep, knock you on your ass beer of northern UK pretty well, it wasn't even a taste I had to acquire. I never have liked really cold beer unless it is hotter than hell out then it is like water. This sounds like it would be bland

I gotta say it's been a long time since they've done anything musically that excites me. Definitely one of a handful of bands that dragged me into metal, though.

The only old timer band that has had returned to greatness this past decade is ZZ Top. La Futura was fucking phenomenal, one of their all time best ever, a brilliant mix of their oddball/unique type of fare and their classic blues-rock greatness. Truly a return to form. Really saying something too cuz out of all these classic rock(no matter the subgenre) bands, ZZ Top seems to me to have shown the most physical age(outside of artists dropping dead and ACDC going deaf). These guys are kinda junk live nowadays, unfortunately, have been for some time, and just LOOK like theyre struggling. But fuck if they didnt stumble on some old fashioned glory and greatness with that one. Amazing.

Actually Overkill had Ironboud and Electric age in 2010/12, which was some of the greatest things theyve ever done. Awesome stuff. But all their work since was a somewhat of a bore and from what ive herad of their upcoming new one, same deal.

Metllica, Maiden, Judas Priest, ACDC(RIP their hearing), Motorhead(RIP Lemmy), Manilla Road(RIP Shark) all in one ear and out the other. None of em are BAD by any stretch(although im being quite generous by applying that to Priest, ugh that was a junk album), they are just totally and compeltely unremarkable. Totally forgettable.

I really love modern-era Motörhead, but Lemmy sounded so tired on Bad Magic that I can't listen to it.

Agreed about Overkill.

The world of hoity toity, designer beer annoys the fuck out of me.

Iron Maiden fucking rules though, top 5 for me i think, top 8 for suresies. Wish they would spent less time with beer and more time NOT spewing out boring, generic, forgettable new tracks. That last album was a fucking bore. Hang up the creative hats gentlemen and just play the good stuff please.
I get you on the music and the beer that's why Motorhead made whiskey
Post automatically merged:

I really love modern-era Motörhead, but Lemmy sounded so tired on Bad Magic that I can't listen to it.

Agreed about Overkill.
Your right they should have never done the stones cover but cancer is a bitch

Last edited:
Back