• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Athena

Buzzkill.
Falling icicles kill six

Ice.jpg

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Six people have been killed in three days by icicles falling from buildings in a central Russian region, ITAR-TASS news agency reported Tuesday.

Plummeting chunks of ice is an annual hazard for pedestrians in Russia during the spring when the sun finally melts thick layers of ice and snow which build up on roofs over months of freezing temperatures and darkness.

Medical authorities in the region of Samara told ITAR-TASS that five people died in the city of Samara and another person died in the nearby town of Otradny between February 23 and February 25.

That'd be a shitty way to die. Shanked by an icicle? No thanks.

Great minds, indeed. Thanks for offering to delete yours. I have no such capability. But, for the record, would have no problem if you deleted mine instead. :)

You'd think if it were such a common thing, as the article suggests, more people would be aware of their surroundings. Or, at least the city would have devised a way to clear off the icicles before they drop. I'm just saying is all.

You'd think if it were such a common thing, as the article suggests, more people would be aware of their surroundings. Or, at least the city would have devised a way to clear off the icicles before they drop. I'm just saying is all.

I don't want to imply Russian people are dumb, but a simple reminder on the radio or tv, or even a sign with walk away from eaves during the melt would help. I think of all the *Watch for falling rocks* signs I see just driving down the highway...and that makes death by icicle sort of sad.

Well then, maybe it's just some great plan devised by the Russian government to take out the stupid people. You know, keep them from reproducing, thereby increasing the overall national I.Q. By doing this they may eventually come to be seen as more than just a region of oil and Vodka, and some hot chicks.

Back