• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Nell

Unending melancholy
Bold Member!
ATLANTA -- Federal officials say a man who escaped from a Georgia prison work camp nearly 48 years ago has been arrested in Connecticut.

The U.S. Marshals Service says Robert E. Stackowitz was serving a 17-year sentence for robbery in August 1968 when he escaped from the infirmary at Carroll County Prison Work Camp in Carrolton, Georgia.

Officials say a regional task force reviewed the case and found a possible alias for Stackowitz, and then found a Connecticut address linked to that name.

CBS affiliate WGCL reports that Stackowitz was arrested without incident.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsn...-escaped-georgia-inmate-found/?client=safari#

Exactly! If the guy hasn't done a damn thing in 5 decades .....
Slap on the wrist .... move along ...

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/05/...ing-leads-to-arrest-of-fugitive-for-48-years/

A boat repairman well known in his small Connecticut town was exposed this week as a robbery convict who escaped 48 years ago from a prison work camp in Georgia.

Robert Stackowitz’s application for Social Security played a role in his capture, authorities said.

Stackowitz, 71, was arrested Monday by Connecticut state troopers and U.S. marshals at his home in Sherman, a town of about 3,600 along the New York border.
stankowicz-1024x696.jpg

http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Escapee-sought-for-48-years-nabbed-in-Sherman-7424444.php

A previous customer of Stackowitz’s, who was at New Fairfield Town Beach Tuesday morning, said the Sherman man once fixed his Jet Ski.

“He’s a hard-working guy,” said the New Fairfield resident, who asked not be named. “He would always fix it right the first time.”

The fugitive used to work as a plow truck driver many years ago, his neighbors said.
So all these years he was working and presumably paying taxes. Applying for social security got him busted. Can you receive social security benefits in prison?

Last edited:
Dec 08, 2016

A 71-year-old Sherman man who spent 48 years as a fugitive from justice after escaping from a Georgia prison died Monday.

Robert Stackowitz was taken to Danbury Hospital over the weekend and died as the result of numerous health complications, according to attorney Norm Pattis.

It was only six weeks ago that the state dropped its efforts to extradite him to Georgia to face charges as a fugitive. Pattis had fought extradition, indicating his client was too ill to travel. Stackowitz didn't attend his last court hearing because he was sick.
"We weren't kidding when we said sending him back to Georgia would kill him," Pattis said Thursday. "Bob suffered multiple kidney failures and his overall health was failing badly."

In court, Pattis had said Stackowitz suffered from, among other ailments, bladder cancer, congestive heart failure, diabetes and breathing problems.
Stackowitz became the subject of national news last May when he was arrested at his Sherman home and charged as a fugitive. Georgia authorities had tracked him down when he applied for social security benefits in Connecticut.

Stackowitz had been convicted in 1966 of robbery by force after driving the getaway car in a house burglary. In 1968, about two years into his 17-year sentence, he drove away from a prison camp in a vehicle he used to travel around the state to repair school buses.

In an interview with The Courant after the charges were dropped, Stackowitz said the ordeal caused him great stress, and took a financial toll. He lost customers for his boat repair business, and Social Security and Medicare denied his applications for benefits.

"I was really getting prepared to go," Stackowitz said. "And Norm and I had even talked about me going down there and turning myself in. But they came through in the end. I just want to die here at home where I live. I don't want to die in jail in Georgia, or on the way."

Back