• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Hat tip to ghosttruck.

There's another video at the link at the bottom of the post.
[....]
Yes, it may be a bit odd, but Hays and her team are determined to save the bird named "Colorado." It's a name that comes with a story. That's where Hays said the Cornish hen was rescued from a defunct factory farm.

"There were - I think it was 13,000 chickens that needed to find a place to go," Hays said.

Oliver and Friends took in 25 very sick chickens with the help of a Colorado animal sanctuary named "Luvin Arms."

Though it may be hard to believe, Colorado and her friends are only a few months old. They're bred to be big.

"It's all about production, so the faster they grow, the bigger they grow," Hays said.

Colorado's legs could no longer support her.

Hays considered euthanasia. That is, until her husband got on Google, saw a chicken in a wheelchair and started building.

"So, ever since she got the wheelchair, her sparkle's back," Hays said.

They are now focused on keeping all the chickens at a healthy weight through exercise and a diet of low fat feed and fresh greens - a chicken salad, if you will.

"We honestly believe here at Oliver and Friends that every animal deserves the chance to live their best life as pain-free as possible," Hays said.

Hays said it's not clear yet if the other birds will end up needing wheelchairs too. They are hoping diet and exercise will keep them on their feet.

If you'd like to help animals like Milo and Colorado or even volunteer, you can visit Oliver & Friends' Facebook page.
https://kfor.com/2019/03/19/ever-si...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Meat birds are a prime example of man fucking something up for their own greed.
Yeah.

If one wishes to rear meat birds, at least run something like Red Rangers that can take care of themselves and that won't sit in front of the feeder all day long, eating.

Another alternative is to rear straight-run dual-purpose birds, retain the pullets, and slaughter the cockerels for meat.

--Al

"There were - I think it was 13,000 chickens that needed to find a place to go," Hays said.

Oliver and Friends took in 25 very sick chickens with the help of a Colorado animal sanctuary named "Luvin Arms."

What did they do with the other 12,975 chickens that were too heavy to walk unassisted?

Yeah.

If one wishes to rear meat birds, at least run something like Red Rangers that can take care of themselves and that won't sit in front of the feeder all day long, eating.

Another alternative is to rear straight-run dual-purpose birds, retain the pullets, and slaughter the cockerels for meat.

--Al
I'm glad you brought that up.
I had black australorps. Dual purpose egg/meat bird. I couldn't eat them but I did give the young cocks to my neighbor for butchering. I was extremely happy with their egg out put and their easy going demeanor.

What did they do with the other 12,975 chickens that were too heavy to walk unassisted?
They are probably cat food and chicken nuggets by now.
Post automatically merged:

@Keepalowprofile
I had several black Jersey Giant chickens. They have gorgeous plumage. are friendly, good foragers and lay eggs all winter. The breed was developed for a large roasting bird. They don't lay as much as other breeds, but they do lay all winter. And the hens are broody! What's not to like.
However, they do eat a lot, poop a lot, so best for farms, where they can forage for food and you can save on feed costs.

Last edited:
We've raised runs of Cornish Rocks for meat; you can't beat the feed conversion ratio. They are definitely not meant to grow to adulthood, though; if you intend for them to grow much past the harvest stage, which is about 6 weeks (!), you have to limit their feed from the start, otherwise they grow so big so fast that they have leg issues (like this one) and heart problems.

Otherwise, we used to run egg/meat hybrids like Red Sex-Linked, Black Sex-Linked, Americauna. After a few generations of incubating our own eggs, our birds are a mutt-mix of all of that on the female side and Welsumer on the rooster side.

All that said, I completely do not understand trying to rescue a chicken.

Yep.

We've raised runs of Cornish Rocks for meat; you can't beat the feed conversion ratio. They are definitely not meant to grow to adulthood, though; if you intend for them to grow much past the harvest stage, which is about 6 weeks (!), you have to limit their feed from the start, otherwise they grow so big so fast that they have leg issues (like this one) and heart problems.

Otherwise, we used to run egg/meat hybrids like Red Sex-Linked, Black Sex-Linked, Americauna. After a few generations of incubating our own eggs, our birds are a mutt-mix of all of that on the female side and Welsumer on the rooster side.

All that said, I completely do not understand trying to rescue a chicken.
Much respect to you. I couldn't eat my chickens. Call me silly, they were my friends. I did raise two hogs every year. One for the freezer and one to pay the butcher.

Back