• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
From Keep
Prosecutors say a boy in Ripley County was just 13 years old when he killed his two young siblings. The teen was arrested on August 28, more than a year after police first began investigating the deaths of 23-month-old Desiree McCartney and 11-month-old Nathaniel Ritz.

Emergency crews were first called to the children’s home in Osgood, Indiana on May 6, 2017 after McCartney was found unresponsive. Her death was ruled suffocation by smothering, according to the coroner’s office. Emergency crews returned to their home less than three months later after Ritz was found unresponsive. The coroner’s office determined he was smothered as well.

Multiple family members told police the boy admitted to putting blankets over the children's heads until they “stopped making noise.”

On Sept. 5, 2017, police say they were contacted by the teen’s mother and informed that he had mutilated a kitten “to the point of almost killing it” at a family member’s home. The teen boy was found crying, and the kitten had “blood all over it and its insides were hanging out of it.” The kitten also had a puncture-like wound to its head.
https://crimewatchdaily.com/2018/09...ister-and-brother-to-death-mutilating-kitten/

Also makes me wonder what’s going on in the home life that may contribute to this behavior. I’m not saying it’s impossible to have a bad seed in an otherwise normal environment nor am I implying it’s the parents but perhaps something in his life isn’t kosher.
Frightening regardless.

The mother of a 14-year-old boy charged with the murder of his two siblings has come to her son's defense saying he is 'not a monster'.

The Indiana teen, who was 13 at the time of the deaths, told investigators that he used a towel to suffocate his half sister and a blanket to kill his stepbrother.

He was arrested last week on juvenile charges of murder in the May 2017 killing of his 23-month-old half sister, Desiree McCartney, and the killing two months later of his 11-month-old stepbrother, Nathaniel Ritz, at their home in Osgood, a rural community southeast of Indianapolis.

'He's not the monster that people are trying to portray him as,' his mother, Christina McCartney, told Fox 19.

'It's a mother's worst nightmare to have such a precious family and then to wake up to the worst possible outcomes.'

He told investigators that he killed them so that they wouldn't 'have to live in the hell that he did,'.

The teen added he had a conversation with God about his siblings, but he could not talk about it because he had promised God he wouldn't tell anyone.

He was 'talking about saving Desiree and Nathaniel from hell and the chains of fire' and 'he didn't want them to have to live in the hell that he did,' before going on to describe how he suffocated the children, the court affidavit states.

When asked what that 'hell' was, the boy replied 'chores,' before asking investigators if they'd seen the list of daily chores he had to complete.

The teen's grandmother told investigators that when she asked him why he killed his siblings, he replied that 'he didn't want them to be treated the way he had been.'

She said he also described how he'd firmly held the towel and blanket over their heads to suffocate them.

An uncle told investigators that the day before Nathaniel Ritz's death, the teen told him that Ritz's father had bloodied the teen's nose.

Hertel said the teen's motivations remain unclear, but that doctors who will examine him may be able to shed light on them.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...gs-comes-sons-defence-saying-not-monster.html

The incident with the kitten killed any doubt that he is a monster. He didn't "save" those kids. He killed them for pleasure. Hell, he got away with it the first time. His mother is obviously as dumb as she is blind. I guess it's a good thing there weren't other kids or animals in the house?

The little girl looks like she been hit in the face a couple of times. I was waiting for someone to comment on it.

September 13, 2018

The mother of an Indiana teen accused of murdering his half-sister and stepbrother last year has attempted to explain his alleged violence as the result of child abuse.

Christina McCartney told reporters this week that her son is “not a monster” but was compelled to kill after abuse at the hands of his stepfather.

He reportedly confessed to killing the two young children in an attempt to save them from the “hell” he saw them living through. The teen lived with his mother, her boyfriend and the two young victims at the time of the homicides.

The teen was caring for Desiree McCartney at the time of her fatal injury, according to the mother who said she came home in May 2017 to find the toddler unresponsive. The girl died five days later, as reported by the New York Post.

Less than two months later, the suspect was also babysitting Ritz when the baby died from suffocation.

McCartney claimed her son was “forced” to act in such a violent way after witnessing his siblings being abused by the man.

“He pushed them down on purpose,” she said of the stepfather. “He would lock them up in the bedroom to try to shut them up. He painted a pretty bad picture. As a mom, that’s hard to swallow that was going on and I didn’t know.”

The mother went on to allege that the man threatened to kill her if the teen did not obey his orders to kill.

“This man destroyed many people’s lives,” she said. “My son will never be the same an my kids are gone. those were my babies. They were my life, but he still walk free. That’s not right.”
http://www.crimeonline.com/2018/09/...-he-was-forced-to-kill-by-abusive-stepfather/

McCartney claimed her son was “forced” to act in such a violent way after witnessing his siblings being abused by the man.

“He pushed them down on purpose,” she said of the stepfather. “He would lock them up in the bedroom to try to shut them up. He painted a pretty bad picture. As a mom, that’s hard to swallow that was going on and I didn’t know.”

The mother went on to allege that the man threatened to kill her if the teen did not obey his orders to kill.

That sounds like a giant crock of bullshit to me. The mom appears to be mentally off, terminally stupid, or both.

I can’t even imagine, a mom, who loves all her kids, going through this! What a horrible situation! That being said, if the Step was abusive WHY was it allowed to continue? I’m sorry but 1x, ONCE! If I saw a person touch my kids they’d be gone if not dead! Mom, you’ve got some blame here & where is bio dad?

I don’t think for a second that this teen was forced by his step-dad to kill those babies- it makes no sense? I think mom is full of crap & just saying whatever she can to get her ‘good boy’ out of trouble, just like she prob always has done.

I think mom was prob a big softy & let her teenage son do whatever he wanted- then suddenly step-dad comes into the picture & is more firm with the boy, giving him chores & doling out discipline & I think this mentally unstable, spoiled teen decided to get back at step-dad by killing his half siblings.

And as far as the kitten, I wouldn’t be surprised if their backyard contained a graveyard of this boys past ‘mistakes’ with family pets- he gets mad & squeezes the life out of his pet gerbil & mom cleans up his mess without any punishment & this self entitled little psycho graduates to cats & eventually babies— and there’s mom trying to keep him from facing any consequences, even when he’s killed her own babies. Pretty F’d up!

@Satanica
A boy who was 13-years-old when he allegedly killed his two young siblings will be tried as an adult.

Nickalas J. Kedrowitz, now 15, is accused of murdering 23-month-old Desiree McCartney and 11-month-old Nathaniel Ritz.

Emergency crews were first called to the children’s home on May 6, 2017 after McCartney was found unresponsive. Her death was ruled suffocation by smothering, according to the coroner’s office.

Emergency crews returned to their home less than three months later after Ritz was found unresponsive. The coroner’s office determined he was smothered as well.

Kedrowitz was living with his siblings when they died. Police began investigating his involvement in their deaths after his mother contacted them on September 5, 2017. She told investigators he mutilated a kitten “to the point of almost killing it” at a family member’s home. The family member said his temper reminded her of the “Hulk.”

When police interviewed Kedrowitz he said he set his siblings “free from this hell,” according to court docs. Police asked what “hell” meant to him, and he replied, “chores.”

Multiple other family members told police the boy admitted to putting blankets over the children’s’ heads until they “stopped making noise.”

Kedrowitz was found competent to stand trial, and he was waived to adult court.

His initial hearing was on September 4. His next court appearance is scheduled for January 10, 2020.

And the kitten? The kitten he mutilated? And I thought he killed them to save them from "hell", now it's that he was under threat of death?

I get that no one wants to believe their child is capable of this, but come on.

So Mom is now blaming stepdad for everything?

I think she's delusional and doesn't want to admit her kid is a psycho....maybe she should have spent more time with him rather than popping out babies and getting involved with more men....the kid was probably already screwed up, BUT adding in half siblings and step siblings sure would have made him even more messed up. Maybe he wanted/needed mom to pay attention to him than another dotm.

A jury found a Ripley County teenager guilty of killing his younger siblings in 2017.

Nickalas Kedrowitz was convicted of two counts of murder. The jury deliberated for six hours Friday night before returning the guilty verdict. Kedrowitz was 13 years old when he was accused of killing the children.

Emergency crews were called to the family’s home in Osgood on May 6, 2017. Twenty-three-month-old Desiree McCartney was found unresponsive. Her death was ruled suffocation by smothering, according to the coroner’s office.

Less than three months later, on July 21, 2017, 11-month-old Nathaniel Ritz was found unresponsive. The coroner’s office also determined he was smothered.

Investigators started looking at Kedrowitz as a suspect in September 2017, after his mother told police he’d mutilated a kitten in the family’s home. A family member said he had a terrible temper reminiscent of the comic book character the Incredible Hulk.

When police interviewed Kedrowitz, he told them he’d set his siblings “free from this hell.” Multiple family members said he admitted to putting blankets over the children’s heads until they “stopped making noise.”

Kedrowitz’s mother contended that her son’s actions were spurred by an abusive stepfather who lived with the family at the time, according to WXIX.

The teen was eventually found competent to stand trial, and the case was waived to adult court in 2019.

An interesting turn came on Thursday when Steven Ritz, father of one of the deceased children, and step-father to the defendant, was brought in to testify. However, he didn’t stay around long when it was made clear to him that anything he said in a sworn testimony could and would be used against him in any upcoming court proceedings. It seemed likely that charges concerning this very case are pending against Ritz. Prosecutor Ric Hertel assured Ritz the State would not grant him any type of immunity. He decided not to testify.

.” Prosecutor Hertel noted that Steven Ritz will have his day in court in Ripley County, after he faces crimes in Jennings County. “He will have to face the music here,”

Sounds like stepdaddy's mixrd up in something, either this mess or something else.

ETA from @Craygor's link

A southeastern Indiana teenager has been sentenced to 100 years in prison for the suffocation deaths of his two young siblings months apart in 2017, when he was 13 years old.

Nickalas Kedrowitz. was convicted in August on two counts of murder for the killings of his 23-month-old half-sister, Desiree McCartney, and his 11-month-old stepbrother, Nathaniel Ritz.

Kedrowitz was arrested in August 2018 in the May 2017 killing of Desiree and the July 2017 killing of Nathaniel, both of whom were found unresponsive at the family’s home in Osgood, about 60 miles (96 kilometers) southeast of Indianapolis.

The judge ordered 50-year prison terms for each death to be served one after the other.

Ripley County Prosecutor Richard Hertel said Kedrowitz told detectives that he was “freeing his siblings from hell.”

“This wasn’t some sort of heat of passion, one killing and then minutes or hours or even days later, we’re talking months here, so we think that the consecutive part of the sentence was warranted and appropriate in this circumstance,” Hertel told reporters after the sentencing hearing.

The judge ordered that Kedrowitz’s case be handled in adult court despite his attorney’s arguments that the teen has untreated mental health problems.
1643852889770.png

Indiana law allows juveniles as young as 12 to be tried as adults for murder.

Last edited:
Back