• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
1565880854232.png

FESTUS, Mo. – Some think it is funny; others think it is just downright creepy. Dolls are popping up in Jefferson County and no one knows why.

It is not something you see every day – dolls popping up randomly.

"They're getting pretty good where they are putting these; putting them where they are going to be seen. This one was at a major intersection," said Festus Chief of Police Tim Lewis.

All the dolls look similar. They are very realistic. People living in the community said it is not only the dolls that are creepy but where they are placed that is strange.

"When we found this one, it was laying in front of our building. We picked it up and it was the doll, they've been hanging on top of stop signs, laying in front of the license office," said Angela Ravellette.

Chief Lewis said it is all fun in games but he’s worried someone is going to get hurt.

"As you can tell, it looks like a little girl, the hands are sewn to the face, no face on it. If you were to see it from behind it looks like a little girl. If you’re out and about and you see that, it looks like a little girl crying, against a pole and someone is going to stop,” he said. “In this town, people are good-hearted. People are going to stop to make sure that’s not a child. They are going to get hit or they are going to get run over and then you’re dealing with a catastrophe.”

Chief Lewis said they do not know where the dolls are coming from or who is putting them there.

I have a big old baby doll, about the size of a 9 month old baby, that I use as a model for some of my knitted baby sweaters. Well when I'm hosting the grand girl she has to carry it everywhere. Up close there's no question it's a doll but from a distance it does look fairly baby like. The doll got left in the car the other day and I had to put it in the trunk, I know I looked shady as hell when I looked all around before I closed the trunk, hoping that nobody saw me put a baby in the trunk. :wideyed:

1565883890246.png

@cubby I've mentioned this before. My mother liked life size walking dolls. (The cheap ones from KMart) She made a tableau of three dolls by our large pond. It looked like little girls feeding ducks. The pond is visible from the road but not from the house. One windy day, I drove over and damn if there wasn't a doll floating face down in the pond. Looked like a drowned child. After that she staked the dolls. So it only looked like unsupervised little girls hanging around a deep pond. Whew!

Looking at anything from a distance, people can pretty much talk them self into most anything. Example, woman calling the police on plastic snake and that was just next door.

Back