• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sue sue

Take 6
Noor was age 20 when she began working for Abed, first as a housekeeper, then as a nanny. One day, her 55-year-old employer, who owned a mobile phone shop in Jordan, drugged her and raped her. Realizing that the act would devastate Noor’s family, Abed pledged to marry her — his way out of a potential jail sentence, her way out of an inevitable life of shame.

“I was frightened, devastated and thought to keep silent,” Noor told investigators at the Sisterhood Is Global Institute, a women’s rights organization based in Jordan. And so at first she agreed. “But later I realized that I was pregnant, and I decided to file a complaint. I accused him of raping me.” Abed then invoked Article 308 of the Jordanian penal code, a legal loophole stipulating that rapists may be pardoned if they marry their victims and stay with them for at least three years.

Noor and Abed married. “I thought that life with my baby might make me happy, but I was very wrong; my situation deteriorated,” Noor told the investigators. “My only hope from marrying him was to make my baby safe — to register him in his father’s name.”

Rape of a woman or girl by her husband is expressly legal in at least 10 countries out of 82 recently surveyed by the women’s rights group Equality Now. In four of those 10, marital rape is expressly legal even when the wife is a child bride, and the marriage has violated minimum age of marriage laws. Moreover, in nine out of the 82 countries, so-called honor laws” enable rapists to wed their victims as a way of avoiding a trial and potential prison time. The only stipulation: The perpetrators must remain in the union for one to five years — the duration varies by country — or reach a “settlement,” financial or otherwise, with the victim or the victim’s family.
http://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/is-...ource=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US

we were lucky to be born in this point of time in the west because at best in Victorian times in England that would have been the case depending upon the level of status of the womans family. This is something that needs to be changed the world over but still the case in parts of Asia, Middle East and Africa

So is this how creepy old Jordanian's shop for brides? Seems to lack the victim's input honestly.

So is this how creepy old Jordanian's shop for brides? Seems to lack the victim's input honestly.
Jodanians wouldn't be high on the list [but they are in the hnor killings right under Pakistan, Afghanistan], many arranged marriages there family is all over it. India, Pakistan,Yemen, Afghanistan would being the toppers especially on second wife material

Back