• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An Idaho Falls man who caused a lockdown at an elementary school is in custody after police say he tried to stab a 10-year-old girl who was in her front yard.

Johnny Martinez, 36, was arrested for aggravated assault Friday afternoon.

Officers were called for a report of a man with a knife. The girl’s mother, who asked that we only use her first name, tells EastIdahoNews.com her daughter went outside with their German shepherd.

“She went out so the dog could use the bathroom in the front yard,” Christin says. “I heard a bloodcurdling scream, and she comes running in yelling that some guy just tried to stab her in the front yard and that he was out there right now.”

Christin went outside with her fiancé to confront Martinez, who she says was holding a 12-inch blade. He had stabbed their fence and was walking toward A.H. Bush Elementary School. She called 911, and the elementary school was placed on lockdown.

“A perimeter was established around the area as a dozen officers spoke with witnesses and searched roadways, alleys and backyards,” Idaho Falls Police spokeswoman Jessica Clements says. “At 2:10 p.m. an Idaho Falls Police officer located the suspect hiding in an alley in the area and took him into custody.”

Police are unsure why he threatened the girl, and Christin says she’s glad Martinez is off the streets.

“I’m just glad my daughter knew to run inside. She was terrified and scared and I’m glad nothing happened.” Christin says. “Still in a panic over this.”
1571441118224.png

May 9, 2020

An Idaho Falls man who tried stabbing a 10-year-old girl standing in her yard was placed on probation Friday following a plea agreement.

Johnny Martinez, 37, will spend 6-years on supervised probation after he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault, trespassing and disturbing the peace.

According to police, Martinez approached a 10-year-old girl playing in her yard and threatened to stab her with a large knife. He was originally charged with felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon enhancement, but as part of the plea agreement, his charges were reduced to misdemeanors.

Bonneville County Prosecutor Daniel Clark told EastIdahoNews.com the plea agreement came after consideration with the victim’s family.

Martinez spent nearly five months in jail. Magistrate Judge Wiley Dennert credited the man for the time he spent behind bars while suspending 298 days of jail time, which could still be served if he violates probation.

Court records show Martinez has a history of drug use, mental health issues and violent outbursts. Months before trying to stab the little girl, Martinez was arrested after he confronted a family member and said “he was sick of her s*** and was going to kill her,” according to court documents.

The family member called 911 after Martinez went into the kitchen and began rattling knives. Martinez denied to Bonneville County Sheriff’s Deputies that he made any threats and days later, a felony charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon was dismissed.

Dennert ordered Martinez to pay $1,072.50 in fees and fines.

Back