• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Conrad Ayala was only 19 months old when he died on Valentines Day in 2011

A Minot mother and her boyfriend have been sentenced to lengthy prison terms in the beating death of the woman's toddler son a year ago.

The mother also was verbally reprimanded by the judge, who among other things said he was appalled at her request to marry her boyfriend in jail.

Authorities said the boy had suffered injuries including a fractured skull and broken jaw and was covered "head to foot" in bruises. They said the injuries appeared to have been inflicted over a long period of time, and the state medical examiner determined the child died from a head injury.

The boy's mother, Cassondra Ayala, 21, was sentenced to serve 22 years and her 33-year-old boyfriend, Anthony Robinson received 27 years behind bars.

Friends and family of Ayala who testified during her sentencing said she was "controlled" by Robinson at the time of the boy's death and had a negligible role in the physical abuse. Her attorney said she also had suffered physical and sexual abuse, and had dealt with mental problems. Ayala read a prepared statement in court.

"I will always miss my son," she said, showing little emotion. "I want to tell him I'm sorry. I made a terrible choice."

Mattson was not persuaded by claims of mitigating circumstances, saying the boy's continuous abuse "is beyond any rational explanation."

"I don't care about any of that other garbage you experienced," he told Ayala. "That in no way excuses you after the very first beating and wounding of the child."

Mattson said he was appalled that Ayala requested permission to marry Robinson while both were incarcerated for Conrad's death.

"I've never had a situation where someone has been so blind," the judge said.

Back