• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
This is from last year. I had earmarked it and forgot about it. Honestly one of the more touching stories I've read in quite a while.

aDSC_5703.jpg

Michael Joyce’s memory, and some of his speech have been snatched by Alzheimer’s. The disease is so advanced that he forgot he was married to his wife of 38 years. But he is in love with her, and he is also an honorable man, so he proposed to her on a recent morning. She said yes.

“You don’t say, ‘Oh, we’re already married,’” Linda Joyce, 64, told the New Zealand news site Stuff. “So, I said, ‘Of course I will,’ thinking he might not remember.”

But the next morning, Michael Joyce, 68, woke up and asked her, “So, when are we doing this?” according to Stuff.

Linda Joyce, who lives with her husband in Frankton, New Zealand, turned to her neighborhood community website Neighbourly and asked if anyone would be willing to marry them over the weekend. She began her query, “Amidst the often sad and frustrating times living with Alzheimer’s … there is joy!”

“My adored Hubby of 38 years suffers from Alzheimer’s/Disphasia. Two nights ago, out of the blue, with tear-filled eyes, he asked me to marry him!” she wrote.

She continued: “Michael had clearly forgotten we were already married but I absolutely went along with him and said I would be delighted to be his wife. In spite of his confused mind, he obviously knows and feels this is something he really wants to do … to Michael it will be our Wedding Ceremony and to our friends and myself, a truly precious memorable occasion.”

Joyce asked if there was anyone in the community who would say a few words and marry them. People responded enthusiastically offering to help officiate, and local photographer Desmond Downs volunteered to be the wedding photographer.

Full Story:

I'm not crying, you're crying!

Looked up Frankton, New Zealand, because Geography nerd... I'm pretty sure I could be happy living there. It's GORGEOUS! And not too far from Dunedin, which is near the top of my must see list. :joyful:

Back