• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ence-plate-racist-slur-japanese-a8655616.html
[....]
A total of 731 active registrations had the letters containing “JAP”, an ethnic slur that is offensive to Japanese Americans.

Vehicle owners were sent a letter asking them to return the plate to their local vehicle office within 30 days for a replacement at no cost.

Plates not replaced within that period will be identified in the state's system and will be replaced at their annual renewal.

The issue arose last year when 70-year-old Keith Kawamoto spotted a car with the Kansas plate in traffic near his home and took a photo of it. He then wrote several letters to Kansas officials to highlight his concerns.

"I let them know it is considered a very derogatory racial slur and I don't think it should be allowed anywhere," Mr Kawamoto said.

He got an apology back from the state's motor vehicles division, but Mr Kawamoto wanted Kansas to get the plates recalled.

Mr Kawamoto's photo of the Kansas plate was first published by the Pacific Citizen, the newspaper of the Japanese American Citizens League.

Barbara Johnson, a 67-year-old Japanese-American living in Kansas spotted the story and it brought back memories of her childhood.

"It was not a good time to be Japanese because of Pearl Harbor and World War II.

"I recall vividly as a child being called 'Jap' – and how it made me feel so small and hurt by being called that,” Ms Johnson said.

Along with her husband Rick they began working to get the plates pulled.

"It was very gratifying to know there is someone in government that was willing to hear our side of the story and to recognise it and to proactively act on it as quickly as it did," Rick Johnson said.

Rachel Whitten, spokeswoman for the Kansas department of revenue said: "We do take these types of complaints very seriously and appreciate that it was brought to our attention.”

So, now we can add randomly generated letter combos to the growing list of shit that offends us. I guess you are deeply offended if you're even paying attention to license plates. I notice if it's out of state or personalized and that's it. I understand the hurt of Japanese-Americans, but this is ridiculous. Others may disagree.

That link wouldnt open for me but i hope they also complained about NIP which is even worse than JAP.
Who can forget the classic cartoon " Bugs Bunny nips the Nips" ?

I hope the license plate people also remember to exclude GUK, NIG, TIT from the number sequence.
Things must be pretty good in America if people have the time to work on problems like that and It's news

That link wouldnt open for me but i hope they also complained about NIP which is even worse than JAP.
Who can forget the classic cartoon " Bugs Bunny nips the Nips" ?

I hope the license plate people also remember to exclude GUK, NIG, TIT from the number sequence.
Things must be pretty good in America if people have the time to work on problems like that and It's news
You forgot, Jew ..

Wild guess, but I'm gonna go with WWII Jack. Unless it was the Jewish American Princesses getting butthurt.

How is it offensive to merely shorten a word?

Seriously, what the fuck?

Zipperhead i get, as my understanding of that is its derived from what a Vietnameses(or was it Koreans) head looks like after being squashed by the treads of a tank. Pretty offensive and nasty thing to call an Asian person, surely.

Ill even accept that "Chink" is in poor taste.

But Jap? I dont get it.

Would it be offensive if we started calling black people "Blah's"? Or if we called Mexicans, "Mex's" or "Mexo's"??? Stupid, sure, but what's offensive about simply shortening the correct term for a given ethnicity/race?????

I once tried to get a personalized plate here in Ontario saying
SDF-1.
It was rejected.
It was named for the Super Dimensional Fortress 1 from the Macross animated series.
A friend said they said no cuz it read like stiff one.
In Calif we have symbols available.

I had "10in(heart symbol)on" ordered and paid for.
What I meant was 10 in lovin.

Then I got a letter saying it could not be processed. I thought about it for 5 days until I could get a day off and go back to the DMV.
Then it clicked in my head
10 inch hard on.
:oops:
I am so happy I didn't end up with that plate.

I ended up with myhot 57 using the heart in place of the o

My friend bought a tiny little car that was orange, it was the one she wanted, :rolleyes: anyway the first license plate they handed her had the first three letters PIG, she said Oh hell no and picked again. So we always called it her Clown Car, especially when her 350lb husband was riding in it.:D

So there I was, driving down the road in Finland in 2019. I pulled up behind a car and read the tag # and I was like OH HOLY SHIT. It was crazy enough that I took a picture in pretty much disbelief. So, here you go. I am certain this is not a vanity tag, it came out of their system this way.

bad-tag-20191127_155051-2.png
This crowd will NOT like this heh.

Last edited:
Back