• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Does anyone else like re-reading books?
All the time. But my re-reading doesn't always include ghost/terror/horror/psychic lit.

Two books I re-read every few years is "Of Human Bondage" and "The Painted Veil" by Somerset-Maugham. I love almost everything by maugham. Also, Rumer Godden's "In This House of Brede" about life in a Benectine monastery.
Sometimes if life is getting harsh and I need a pick me up, I'll go for the old sweet stuff and read all the Anne of Green Gables books. It only takes two days, and I call it "doing the Anne cycle". (I've re-read many L.M. Montgomery books, all very nice. They are wholesome, but have some bite and humour. They refresh me.)
Another favorite go-to is "Annals of the Former World" by John McPhee, which is about geology and much more.
I also like to read books about people on desert islands. My adolescent fave is the memoir "An Island to Oneself" by Tom Neale. Also the novel "Dark River" by Nordhoff and Hall, which I recently re-read and it really holds up.
I also love almost anything by John Buchan who holds a place of honor on my Kindle.
These are great tales but not all horror, so maybe should take that discussion the regular book thread.

As for the subject of this thread, I love any weird story or novel by Algernon Blackwood, Walter de la Mare, Oliver Onions, Guy de Maupassan, M R James. I like the old stuff, and enjoy multiple readings.

"The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner" by James Hogg is a weird story of a religious fanatic and murderer.
"The Monk" by Matthew Lewis is a 19th century corker
Set in the sinister monastery of the Capuchins in Madrid, this is a violent tale of ambition, murder, and incest. The struggle between maintaining monastic vows and fulfilling personal ambitions tempts its main character into breaking his vows.
AND HOW!

And "Wormwood" by Marie Corelli, ca 1890. About an absinthe addict. He rapes his sister!! One day I was at the nursery looking for new herbs, and snatched up the wormwood plant just because I'd read the novel.

Last edited:
So had to work today, just sitting at my desk, doing nothing so I am now re-reading The Stand. Six chapters in already!! Does anyone else like re-reading books?

Oh man, I do. I don't know if it's just the way my brain works to what, but I can re-read beloved books and re-watch beloved movies over and over and enjoy them just as much.

I have all my work-related insurance rules and plans and shit on lock down and remember EVERYTHING, but my brain just doesn't want to retain details on entertainment.

My boyfriend is always quoting movies and getting irritated that I don't recognize them. Lol.

It works out, I guess, because I can sit down with a great novel, know roughly how it's going to go, but still really enjoy the journey.

I think The Stand was the longest book I've read, The Complete & Uncut Edition is 1000+ pages. It's not a favorite of mine, I prefer his short stories (Nightmares & Dreamscapes and its few good vampire stories), more grounded fiction (The Dead Zone, Misery), and female-focused books (Carrie, Gerald's Game, Rose Madder) but I'll read just about anything of his... it's a love/hate thing, he repeats a lot of themes (sexual abuse during an eclipse, the same eclipse; I'm looking at you, Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne) and of course the classic complaint that he doesn't know how to end a book but he is prolific and has a lot of solid ideas so he's easy to come back to

His son's pretty good too. I like Heart-Shaped Box and 20th Century Ghosts. He wrote Locke & Key, a comic included in the bundle

"The Uninvited" by Dorothy Macardle. A great terrfying old fashioned ghost story. 'read it under the blankets! Also a great movie with Ray Milland and Gail Russell ( a tragedy in her own right, poor thing)

HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND ,THE NIGHT LAND, THE BOATS OF THE GLEN CARRIG , CARNACKI TALES by William Hope Hodgson.

Last edited:
The thing I don’t like about King(and his books are among my favorites)is that he has dated slang and names for people. Lots of kids with the name Bill and Susan. Those aren’t common names anymore dude. Also, no one says “that’s keen!” Or any of they other slang terms he heard his kids use in the 1970s and ‘80s.
Post automatically merged:

The thing I don’t like about King(and his books are among my favorites)is that he has dated slang and names for people. Lots of kids with the name Bill and Susan. Those aren’t common names anymore dude. Also, no one says “that’s keen!” Or any of they other slang terms he heard his kids use in the 1970s and ‘80s.

"The open Door' by Mrs Oliphant
All that remains of a ruined house is a stone doorstep. The ghost of a sailor haunts the doorstep calling for his dead mother to let him in.

That stuff never worries me, but I love older ghost stories where the colloquialisms are so old they never bother me. Another 50 years, and King will be quaint too.

I have a blank book with 300 pages, which I divided into the alphabet. I resolved to list books I ought to read. Or would simply enjoy reading.
I made a title for the spine: "Vita Sine Libris Mors Est"= Life Without Books is Death
I also have bracelet with the same phrase.
I resolved to write down a title every day. It hasn't worked out as planned, but I'm still filling the book. It's a useful task. Thought provoking.

Last edited:
So had to work today, just sitting at my desk, doing nothing so I am now re-reading The Stand. Six chapters in already!! Does anyone else like re-reading books?

absolutely. I love to reread books. I can usually capture the feeling I had the first time I read it. I've read the stand at least 5 times. I also love Dean Koontz and Richard Laymon for rereading.

absolutely. I love to reread books. I can usually capture the feeling I had the first time I read it. I've read the stand at least 5 times. I also love Dean Koontz and Richard Laymon for rereading.

I'm just starting chapter 25 of The Stand. Again. It's almost like they pay me to read when I have to work the weekends! ;)

I want it! need winter reading material

sometimes, if it is really gd and has been years since I read it.

Oh man, I love The Talisman... but I wouldn't have really classified it as a horror book. Maybe I need to revisit it again, because it's been MANY a year... but I would have put it into the same category as say, Eyes of the Dragon. Great story, but not horror to me.
I do too, never have been able to get through the real Dark Towers completely really don't lie the man character, Ronald] but T is one of my favs, Salems Lot too, Stand was excellent

Last edited:
For anyone who may be tempted to read House of Leaves after seeing it mentioned a couple of times here, know that reading it on an e-reader would be a disservice. This book was made to be read from a physical book. IMO, of course.

I'm going with an indie book.

Amazon product ASIN B07BL3JWPG
41jyQEZQoTL.jpg

Penny is having the worst day ever. After finally finishing the date from Hell a
little thing called the zombie apocalypse occurs. In the middle of all this she
suddenly finds herself the caretaker of both an enigmatic little girl and an
intimidating yet oddly attractive vampire named Mr. F. Caretaker? Slave is
more like it. How can things get any worse?
How indeed?

41EXWWjKDQL.jpg

Join Mr. F, Penny, and Gnat as they continue to trek across Post-Zombie Apocalyptic America in search for a better life. This second volume of the Damned Hunger Chronicles finds all three of our protagonists going through uncharted territory when they stumble upon an underground military compound with darker secrets than the ground above. Will all three make it out alive? Will Mr. F find enough blood to satiate his baser needs? Will Penny find peace and acceptance in her role as Mr. F's eternal servant?

I love Stephen King. My daughter and I have been collecting his books for a while. I love most horror story. It would be an awesome to win.

"The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson.

I've read it so often I can almost recite it and ditto the original movie, I know every inch of it. I work in a public library and I find it highly amusing, but I'm also very pleased, that we are being overwhelmed by requests for both because everyone's binge watching the new Netflix adaptation (which is also excellent, and has lots of little details in from the book and movie).

Not the remake though. That was crap.

IT
I was pretty young when I picked up my mom's copy and started reading.
I didn't want to keep reading but I just couldn't stop.

...Thanks mom....

He has some embarrassing continuity lapses on occasion as well.

In Tommyknockers, which is one of my favorite re-reads, the two state troopers exit their vehicle and approach the reporter's corpse in the road. They examine it, turn around, and start their return to their vehicle. Then the mutant soda machine attacks. One trooper hears it, turns around, steps back, and trips over the corpse. Which is in front of him.

In another scene, Gard rolls the cylinder of a 45 out and checks the number of live cartridges left then tucks the handgun into his waistband. Later, he draws the 45 and attempts to fire it but has a misfire, and he cycles the slide to recharge the pistol. Except revolvers, which have cylinders, don't have slides.

--Al

full

Humble Bundle is giving away $392 worth of digital horror books for $18, and I am planning to give away one of the bundles to a DD member for FUHREE! But before I get into that, here's what is being offered:

• Darkness: Two Decades of Modern Horror - George R. R. Martin, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Joyce Carol Oates, and more!
  • The Uncertain Places - Lisa Goldstein
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology - Neil Gaiman, Charles De Lint, Kelley Armstrong, Carrie Vaughn, Patricia Briggs, Bruce McAllister, Francesca Lia Block, Holly Black, Tim Powers, and more!
  • 30 Days of Night - Steve Niles
  • Ajin: Demi-Human Vol. 1 - 2 - Gamon Sakurai
  • The Ultimate Undead -: Anne Rice, Harlan Ellison, Robert Silverberg, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, and more!
  • Portable Childhoods - Ellen Klages
  • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall - Nancy Kress
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Vol. 1 - Writer: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
  • Dragon Head Vol. 1 - 2 - Minetaro Mochizuki
  • Locke & Key Vol. 1: Welcome To Lovecraft - Joe Hill
  • Can You Just Die, My Darling? Vol. 1 - 2 - Majuro Kaname, Sousou Sakakibara
  • Starving Anonymous Vol. 1 - 2 - Yuu Kuraishi, Kazu Inabe
  • Halloween -: Jerry Seinfeld
  • The Ultimate Werewolf - Harlan Ellison, Craig Shaw Gardner, Philip José Farmer, and more!
  • In the Dark: A Horror Anthology - Cullen Bunn, Paul Tobin, Duane Swierczynsk, Tom Taylor, Marguerite Bennett, and more!
  • The Best of Joe R. Lansdale - Joe R. Lansdale
  • Led Astray: The Best of Kelley Armstrong - Kelley Armstrong
  • PTSD Radio Vol. 1 - 2 - Masaaki Nakayama
  • Until Your Bones Rot Vol. 1 - 2 - Yae Utsumi
  • The Ultimate Witch - Dean Koontz, Ray Bradbury, Tanith Lee, and more!
  • Devils' Line Vol. 1 - 2 - Ryo Hanada
  • Kasane Vol. 1 - 2 - Daruma Matsuura
  • Nightmares: A New Decade of Modern Horror - Richard Kadrey, Caitlin Kiernan, Garth Nix, Gene Wolfe, Margo Lanagan, Laird Barron, and more!
  • Cold in July - Joe R. Lansdale
  • Parasyte Vol. 1 - 2 - Hitoshi Iwaaki
  • The Ultimate Dracula - Anne Rice, Dan Simmons, Philip José Farmer, and more!
  • From Hell - Alan Moore, Eddie Campbell
  • Lovecraft's Monsters - Neil Gaiman, Joe R. Lansdale, Caitlin R Kiernan, Elizabeth Bear, and more!

You can get more details here - Humble Book Bundle Tales Of Horror

I've already bought mine, but figured I would give away a bundle to one of you. If you want one of these bundles for free, all you got to do is reply to this thread with your all-time favorite horror book. I'll then use a random number picker to decide which post belongs to the winner on the 26th.
Heart Shaped Box by Steven King’s son Joe Hill was great!

Pet Sematary is a book that scared me when I read it as a preteen. The part that I got the willies from is when the dad heard something huge walking around. That part wasn’t even in the movie.

Last edited:
Big King fan. Read just about everything he's written. I think The Shining or Misery would be my favorite.

Pet Sematary is a book that scared me when I read it as a preteen. The part that I got the willies from is when the dad heard something huge walking around. That part wasn’t even in the movie.

The Wendigo! I hope it and the full Timmy Baterman scene make it into the remake

Not a horror fan myself, more of a science fiction fan. One of my favorite horror books (if you can call it that) was The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red by Ridley Pearson, a good friend of Stephen King.

Orson Scott Card has one that would qualify. Lost Boys.

Probably the first horror book I ever read was Carrie, by Stephen King.

Don't consider me for the bundle. I probably wouldn't read most of them.

The Shining. Read it while working in a hotel built in 1910. Graveyard desk clerk. 0_0

And @McDanel is the lucky winner! Hey, shoot me your email address.

I plan on running something similar a couple times a month. May not always be books... could just be a Bluray, games, or just an Amazon GC. Once we get some more Bold members, I'll jack the worth of the prize up.

Back