• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member
full

Humble Bundle is giving away $392 worth of digital horror books for $18, and I am planning to give away one of the bundles to a DD member for FUHREE! But before I get into that, here's what is being offered:

• Darkness: Two Decades of Modern Horror - George R. R. Martin, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Joyce Carol Oates, and more!
  • The Uncertain Places - Lisa Goldstein
  • The Urban Fantasy Anthology - Neil Gaiman, Charles De Lint, Kelley Armstrong, Carrie Vaughn, Patricia Briggs, Bruce McAllister, Francesca Lia Block, Holly Black, Tim Powers, and more!
  • 30 Days of Night - Steve Niles
  • Ajin: Demi-Human Vol. 1 - 2 - Gamon Sakurai
  • The Ultimate Undead -: Anne Rice, Harlan Ellison, Robert Silverberg, Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, and more!
  • Portable Childhoods - Ellen Klages
  • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall - Nancy Kress
  • Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Vol. 1 - Writer: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
  • Dragon Head Vol. 1 - 2 - Minetaro Mochizuki
  • Locke & Key Vol. 1: Welcome To Lovecraft - Joe Hill
  • Can You Just Die, My Darling? Vol. 1 - 2 - Majuro Kaname, Sousou Sakakibara
  • Starving Anonymous Vol. 1 - 2 - Yuu Kuraishi, Kazu Inabe
  • Halloween -: Jerry Seinfeld
  • The Ultimate Werewolf - Harlan Ellison, Craig Shaw Gardner, Philip José Farmer, and more!
  • In the Dark: A Horror Anthology - Cullen Bunn, Paul Tobin, Duane Swierczynsk, Tom Taylor, Marguerite Bennett, and more!
  • The Best of Joe R. Lansdale - Joe R. Lansdale
  • Led Astray: The Best of Kelley Armstrong - Kelley Armstrong
  • PTSD Radio Vol. 1 - 2 - Masaaki Nakayama
  • Until Your Bones Rot Vol. 1 - 2 - Yae Utsumi
  • The Ultimate Witch - Dean Koontz, Ray Bradbury, Tanith Lee, and more!
  • Devils' Line Vol. 1 - 2 - Ryo Hanada
  • Kasane Vol. 1 - 2 - Daruma Matsuura
  • Nightmares: A New Decade of Modern Horror - Richard Kadrey, Caitlin Kiernan, Garth Nix, Gene Wolfe, Margo Lanagan, Laird Barron, and more!
  • Cold in July - Joe R. Lansdale
  • Parasyte Vol. 1 - 2 - Hitoshi Iwaaki
  • The Ultimate Dracula - Anne Rice, Dan Simmons, Philip José Farmer, and more!
  • From Hell - Alan Moore, Eddie Campbell
  • Lovecraft's Monsters - Neil Gaiman, Joe R. Lansdale, Caitlin R Kiernan, Elizabeth Bear, and more!

You can get more details here - Humble Book Bundle Tales Of Horror

I've already bought mine, but figured I would give away a bundle to one of you. If you want one of these bundles for free, all you got to do is reply to this thread with your all-time favorite horror book. I'll then use a random number picker to decide which post belongs to the winner on the 26th.

I was always partial to The Stand as well.

The elements that are totally plausible scared the absolute fuck out of me as a kid, as did the complete breakdown of society, and the description of roadways (littered with vehicles filled with corpses) hindering travel for the survivors.

awww Morbid - I love your black heart! I am not going to play because I never seem to find enough time to read, and would rather someone else gets it <3 but this is awesome!

That's an amazing set of books! Count me in.
awww Morbid - I love your black heart! I am not going to play because I never seem to find enough time to read, and would rather someone else gets it <3 but this is awesome!

You two better post your all-time favorite horror book!

Lot of King fans, it seems. Not surprising really. My favorite horror book would be The Talisman. But I think that's because at the time I read it.

So as an adult, at this very moment, my pick would be House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski or Haunted, by Chuck Palahniuk. I'd have to flip for it. *flips coin and calls heads* - Haunted, it is.

Well, not trying to be a copy cat, but The Stand. I love reading both horror and post apocalyptic, so this book combined both. Along with my deep distrust of government which began it all.

I was more a true crime, than "horror" reader... and I would have to go with Small Sacrifices, as this was the first one I read when i was like 12 and then I was HOOKED on True Crime, as well as in love with Ann Rule. Her death sucked and how horrible her kids were sucked more... also loved Patricia Cornwell. When I graduated high school I gave away all my books. I had 3 of the large black garage garbage bags full with nothing except true crime books.
Post automatically merged:

@Morbid House of a thousand leaves has been at top of my list for like 2 years, but I KNOW I don't have a good enough stretch of time to read it and really pay it the attention it needs. I read the first chapter a few years back. Once kiddo is older n my life is less hectic

Last edited:
I can think of so many but any horror or ghost story by M.R. James is great reading.

I can't remember the title, but believe the author is Mary Wilkins Freeman. A story about two sisters who move into a house and find little tasks being done. Like a small stack of kindling in the morning, little things tidied up. Sometimes it feels like someone is touching their hand. A very cold and timid touch.
Turns out to be the ghost of a little girl who had lived in the house years before with cruel people who starved her, made her work, beat her and finally killed her. ( I mention this story because we've seen people like this on DD.)
Her little shade haunts house still doing chores ,still trying to please, and still looking for kindness. It's a scary tearjerker.

Last edited:
Oh man, I love The Talisman... but I wouldn't have really classified it as a horror book. Maybe I need to revisit it again, because it's been MANY a year... but I would have put it into the same category as say, Eyes of the Dragon. Great story, but not horror to me.

I came here to say House of Leaves by Danielewski. I love it so much I got the dedication tattooed on me!

Close runner up is NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.

Stephen King

It

My duaughter will be starting it soon. ;)
Post automatically merged:

Stephen King

It

My duaughter will be starting it soon. ;)

Oh man, I love The Talisman... but I wouldn't have really classified it as a horror book. Maybe I need to revisit it again, because it's been MANY a year... but I would have put it into the same category as say, Eyes of the Dragon. Great story, but not horror to me.

Its sequel Black House, one of my favs, is definitely more horrific but The Talisman has a few great moments

I just realized and hope it doesn't disqualify me ;) but there are a lot of comics in this bundle and I can personally recommend Parasyte and PTSD Radio if you're into manga, they're really fun

https%3A%2F%2F78.media.tumblr.com%2F56ee4005c91c81e0bae18dc547fe89bc%2Ftumblr_pcnkgmgUg91x413k0o1_500.jpg

So had to work today, just sitting at my desk, doing nothing so I am now re-reading The Stand. Six chapters in already!! Does anyone else like re-reading books?

Back