• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Muriel Schwenck

Beloved Curmudgeon
1566158434115.png

LINK
August 15, 2019
[...]
Megan Burrow, 31, and Shawn Blaney, 35, both of Fredericktown, were charged with three counts of abuse or neglect of a child and two counts of animal abuse.

[...]

According to court documents, authorities were alerted on Wednesday, Aug. 7 by Missouri Children’s Division in reference to a report of child abuse and neglect.

Authorities say three children, two dogs, two adult cats and nine kittens lived with Burrow and Blaney in a home on Highway 72 West. The children were ages eight, five and three.

Court documents state the eight-year-child was dependent on a trach and feeding tube.

All three children were placed into protective custody by court order on Wednesday, July 31.

On Thursday, Aug. 8, authorities learned the eight-year-old child had previously been taken to the hospital for failure to thrive and alleged child neglect after Burrow allegedly tested positive for methamphetamine.

According to court documents, Burrow said, “This is the last weekend she [child] would be alive.”

The hospital reported the eight year old arrived with severe cradle cap and was “disheveled.” They also reported that leftover food was around the feeding tube insertion site, as well as a dirty dressing over the trach insertion.

Court documents state the child also had the beginnings of pressure ulcers on the face, ear and tailbone; and her nails were significantly overgrown. She was reportedly extremely malnourished.

The child was later taken to a St. Louis hospital.

According to court documents, on Aug. 1, the child tested positive for methamphetamine.

Court documents state that at a doctor’s office on July 11, the child weighed 50 pounds. By the time the child was admitted to the St. Louis hospital on Aug. 1, the child weighed 30 pounds, 4 ounces.

Investigators say they confirmed on Aug. 12 that funeral arrangements were bought for the child on July 31 after statements were allegedly made that the child would pass away by Aug. 2.

[...]

According to investigators, Megan Burrow tried to start end-of-life care and/or hospice for the child against the recommendations from medical professionals who said it wasn’t necessary.

[...]

This appears to be a family sunk in defeat and despair caused by drugs, crime, stress. They gave up on everything except drugs.

From 2013:

Reading this article, I think mom now wishes she'd taken the morphine option for the baby.
“The doctors told her mom and dad they had three choices. They could send her home with morphine to help her live out her last days without pain, she could go home with a bi-pap machine, or they could have a tracheotomy and g-tube for her,” recalled Miller.

Last edited:
Sorry but this makes no sense.
. According to investigators, Megan Burrow tried to start end-of-life care and/or hospice for the child against the recommendations from medical professionals who said it wasn’t necessary.

. The doctors told her mom and dad they had three choices. They could send her home with morphine to help her live out her last days without pain,

. They could send her home with morphine to help her live out her last days without pain
This is exactly what the doctors said to me and then had me go see hospice when my dad was near the end.

Last edited:
Fast forward to 2019, they had totally given up on her, and the house, and severely neglected the other two children.

The fact that they had two more kids, despite the high risk of a repeat of the extremely serious genetic condition the first baby had blows my mind. Wonder if the two new kids have it? At the very least, they are probably carriers.

Savannah Maree Blaney​

October 17, 2010 - September 22, 2021

Savannah Maree Blaney, age 10 of Fredericktown, Missouri passed away on Wednesday, September 22, 2021, at the Children’s Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri. She was born on October 17, 2010, in Farmington, Missouri to Shawn Douglas Blaney and Megan Elizabeth Burrow.

She is survived by her parents; two brothers – Lucas and Alex both of Fredericktown...

Savannah was a very special little girl, having a medical condition that left her unable to do normal everyday things, she went to the fifth grade at FIS; she loved Dora the Explorer, barbie dolls, stuffed animals, Disney princess movies, dressing up, and getting pedicures; she will be greatly missed and remembered with heart felt love.

I hope the parents are honoring her memory by getting themselves together and doing right by their other children.
-

Back