• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cut-the-wire-toy-bomb-defusing-game-walmart-target-1.4973354
cut-the-wire-bomb-defusing-game-yulu.jpg

[....]
"It's horrendous, especially in a day and age like this," said Sharon Butler, a parent who discovered the item recently at a Walmart store in London, Ont.

Called "Cut The Wire," the game is recommended for children ages six and up. Players race to defuse a brightly coloured ticking toy bomb connected to numerous wires before it pretend-explodes. "Defuse or lose!" says the product's packaging.

In the U.S., Cut The Wire was sold exclusively at Target stores until it recently disappeared from shelves following complaints from shoppers.
cut-the-wire-toy-bomb-walmart.JPG

Gabrielle Miller, in Surrey, B.C., believes Walmart Canada should also stop selling the product. She was taken aback when she discovered the game last week, prominently displayed at one of its stores in Langley.

"It says age six-plus, and that just seems shocking to me," she said. "It was really inappropriate that in this day and age, with everything we have going on — with terrorism and violence, in general — that a store thought it was OK to have a [game] about dismantling a bomb, for kids."

Butler also wants the game removed. "You're desensitizing our children to dangerous items," she said. "I don't care if you put plastic on it or put pretty colours on it, it's not a toy."

The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office in Florida had the same reaction. Earlier this week, it received a box containing a note that simply read "Boom," along with a Cut The Wire toy bomb — mailed by a patrol deputy as a joke.

The sheriff's office took it seriously, evacuating parts of the building and calling the bomb squad to investigate. The patrol deputy resigned following the incident and now faces a charge of planting a hoax bomb.
cut-the-wire-bomb-defusing-toy-pinellas-county-sheriff-s-office.jpg

In response to shoppers' complaints, Walmart Canada said it has no plans to reorder Cut The Wire when its stock runs out.

"We appreciate the concerns that have been raised regarding this item," spokesperson Anika Malik said in an email. "Our intent was not to offend anyone."

When Target started fielding criticism in late October, the U.S. company pledged to remove the product. One month later, Ben Aguirre discovered the game selling for half price on clearance at a location in Sunnyvale, Calif.

"I was kind of shocked to see that in the toy aisle, let alone in Target at all," said Aguirre, who was shopping with his eight-year-old son at the time. "It's kind of appalling."
[....]
Target told CBC News this week that the game is now completely gone from its stores.

"We appreciate the feedback and have worked to remove this item from our assortment," a spokesperson said in an email. "We do listen to customers and we take the feedback seriously."

The game is still sold online in both Canada and the U.S on Amazon. Amazon declined to comment on the product.

Cut the Wire's manufacturer, Yulu Toys, didn't respond to repeated requests for comment.

On its website, it promotes the product as "a fun game of luck!"

Yulu appears to have revised the recommended age for the game, stating online that it's suitable for children aged eight and up — two years older than the recommendation on the game's current in-store packaging.

While it has faced some consumer criticism, Cut the Wire has also received many positive reviews from industry bloggers in the U.S.

"This game is very clever and we had a great time playing it," wrote Julie Wright, who has two young children and runs the review site Emmys Deals.

In October, The Toy Insider declared non-traditional boardless games, such as Cut The Wire, one of the top toy trends for the holiday season.

"Cut the Wire will put your spy skills to the test," said the toy review site. "It's the ultimate race to see who can defuse or lose, before it's too late!"

But Butler believes defusing bombs is something children shouldn't be thinking about.

"Get out and play hopscotch," she said.

I tried to watch the video, but those dudes annoyed the shit outta me.

I, personally, don't think it's a big deal. Granted, I don't have young 'ens in the nest anymore, but this game disturbs me a lot less than some of the other toys I've seen on store shelves. Like Operation. I mean, do we really want to be teaching our children to harvest body parts?

Yes just like Cootie encourage kids to pull a legs off bugs or Operation encouraged us to perform unwanted medical procedures on random passersby.
Get a grip for heaven's sakes. It's a stinking game like Risk. Do you think that one actually encouraged a bunch of kids to go out and invade foreign Nations when they grew...well okay maybe that might be a bad example.

Anyhow I think it's pretty clear that this is encouraging kids to maybe learn to be working in the bomb squad when they grow up. I mean let's face it with more and more terrorism you're going to need more and more bomb defusing people as openings become available right? Although come to think of it there are bomb disposal robots. So honestly now that I look at it yeah this game is a total waste of time it does nothing to encourage kids for future development.

Yep it's just that shity!

I sincerely do not understand why any candyass bitch would care about this? Fucking idiots.

What does it do if you lose though? Does it just buzz, make a noise, anything?

I would totally buy this to play with my kid. She's 11. I grew up with shit exploding all over the place (IRA/PLO in England in the 1970's), it would be quite nostalgic for me.

I remember when my aunt gave my baby brother a GI Joe for Christmas and my father looked disgusted, saying that any boy who plays with dolls would grow up to be a "sissy". Well, he didn't. But then again, I was always borrowing GI Joe to play with my Barbie doll. :) After all, he was jointed...Barbie on the other hand was not. When she sat, her legs would spread wide open. Barbie was a slut when it came to GI Joe!

This kind of reminds me of the old "Time Bomb" game.

I think "Cut The Wire" is a much better than the "Time Bomb". At least "Cut The Wire" you're trying to stop destruction, instead of passing off an explosive device to the poor sap beside you so can save yourself.

FFS... can people find nothing else to bitch about these days? Go clean up garbage on a highway, recycle, walk a dog at a animal shelter... anything that really makes a difference in the world besides bitching about some stupid fucking game.

Barbie was a slut when it came to GI Joe!

Haha ... I was always stealing my brothers Yoda for barbie to adopt. Or the Lego Astronauts
Barbie had twins sometimes ... her and Ken made them fucking on the water bed I put together for them out of my mothers Ziplock freezer bags.

Haha ... I was always stealing my brothers Yoda for barbie to adopt. Or the Lego Astronauts
Barbie had twins sometimes ... her and Ken made them fucking on the water bed I put together for them out of my mothers Ziplock freezer bags.
Someone cut all of my Barbie's hair off. So I put a kleenex on her head and scotched taped it and called her Nun Barbie.

Someone cut all of my Barbie's hair off. So I put a kleenex on her head and scotched taped it and called her Nun Barbie.

I actually wanted to be a nun until i was eleven. We have sisters in our family ... they were like rock stars when I was a kid. Every time they'd come visit from the Mediterranean it was a big deal.

There are a few isolated areas in Utah where this is actually true. I'm in Alpine. The park is right next door.

Barbie was a slut when it came to GI Joe!
"I thought Barbie came with Ken."

"No, she comes with G. I. Joe. She only fakes it with Ken."

--Al
Daggone it, I hate it when I miss punctuation marks.

Last edited:
Back