• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Should Migrants with HIV/Aids be allowed in the Country

• yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A lawsuit was announced Monday over the death of Roxsana Hernandez, a transgender woman who died in Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody earlier this year as she sought asylum at the border.

Hernandez arrived at the U.S.-Mexico border in San Ysidro in May from her native Honduras, but Transgender Law Center Director Lynly Egyes said Hernandez “came to the U.S. seeking protection and instead was met with torture.”

According to attorneys, Hernandez died from dehydration after being denied water and medical care.

Hernandez, who was HIV positive, became very ill as she was transferred from California to Texas, back to California, and then to New Mexico, where she died.

Hernandez’s family is hoping the wrongful death lawsuit will provide answers as to what happened. The suit was filed against the state of New Mexico.
With many LGBTQ migrants arriving in Tijuana to seek asylum, many advocates hope the lawsuit announcement serves as a reminder that they will be watching as LGBTQ migrants present themselves at various ports of entry along the U.S.-Mexico border.

"Her death was entirely preventable," Egyes said.
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...used-not-given-medical-attention-lawsuit-says
1543334914507.png

LGBTQ groups demand investigation into transgender immigrant’s death in ICE custody

https://www.metroweekly.com/2018/05...tion-transgender-immigrant-death-ice-custody/

Last edited:
This was her third attempt to enter the country illegally and that had her on a fast track to be deported.

While it is a shame that she lost her life her family should not receive any money from a tragedy that this woman could have prevented from happening as well.
Border crossing are dangerous? I thought it was like the It's a Small World ride at Disney...

Is she the only person to be treated this way? I only ask cause I am wondering if this is about her being transgender or if this is more about her trying to cross the border illegally transgender or not?

This was her third attempt to enter the country illegally and that had her on a fast track to be deported.

While it is a shame that she lost her life her family should not receive any money from a tragedy that this woman could have prevented from happening as well.
Could you provide a link that cites that. I found here that she crossed LEGALLY at a port of entry.
Ms. Hernandez crossed the border at the San Ysidro port of entry between San Diego and Tijuana on May 9, according to ICE. She died on May 25 at a hospital in New Mexico.

Independent Autopsy of Transgender Asylum Seeker Who Died in ICE Custody Shows Signs of Abuse

Actually, I just found this which confirms your statement. However I would like to note that agencies of the Executive branch of government have become notoriously unreliable and prone to disseminate blatantly false information.
https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/ice-detainee-honduras-passes-away-new-mexico-hospital

Last edited:
April 17, 2019
A transgender migrant from Honduras died in ICE custody last year from a rare, AIDS-related illness called multicentric Castleman disease, according to the official autopsy report released last week by the New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator.

Activists had claimed in a wrongful death lawsuit that bruising and fractured ribs discovered by an independent medical examiner suggested that the migrant, Roxsana Hernandez, 33, had been abused while in detention.

But the state medical investigator said in a statement that it did not “share that conclusion,” noting that forceful CPR broke Hernandez’ ribs and caused the bruising.

The official autopsy concluded that Hernandez, who had been detained after requesting asylum, had “untreated HIV infection" and died from AIDS-related complications.

According to the autopsy and notes provided by Immigration and Customs Enforcement about Hernandez’ treatment while in custody, both it and Customs and Border Patrol were aware of Hernandez’ HIV status during her detention but still did not provide her with the necessary antiretroviral drugs.

“I think this person was denied the minimum standard required by U.S. law for prisoners and detainees,” Dr. Chris Beyrer, a public health professor at Johns Hopkins University, told NBC News after reviewing the official autopsy report.

Beyrer, who never examined Hernandez, said it is possible that Hernandez’ life could have been saved had she quickly been administered antiretrovirals. He added that those responsible for migrant detainees’ well-being “have an absolute moral, ethical and legal obligation to provide the minimum standard of care for detainees.”

He said this would “certainly include” antiretrovirals for HIV. “It was criminal to deny her” antiretrovirals, Beyrer said.

ICE admits to deleting footage of transgender asylum seeker who died while in custody

Last edited:
Back