• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Edwina Gein

Pinko Satanist Snowflake
Holy shit. I think between Green Room, Hereditary, and The Witch, A24 has become one of my favorite film companies. It's hard to describe my feelings without spoilers but I will say while it might not be the scariest movie of 2018 as reviewers keep claiming it's definitely worth a watch especially if you're a fan of tense slow burners like I am. The acting is A+ and the imagery beautiful, brutal, and haunting; its soundtrack is reminiscent of The Shining, though the movie itself feels closer in spirit to Rosemary's Baby

Last edited:
I agree, the acting is excellent. I would not be surprised if Toni Collette got an Oscar nod. In my opinion, there are some gigantic plot holes, as if the director had a vision of what he wanted the striking ending to be, and just did whatever it took to get there whether it made sense or not. Despite this, I still think it is well worth seeing, so long as you don't expect it to be "the Exorcist for a new generation", because it isn't.

I just got a chance to watch it and fucking loved it. I loved what i felt to be a major swerve with the plot, def went in a direction i did not see coming, and i especially love how so much that is mentioned almost in passing earlier in the movie comes into play when you think back on it after that batshit climax. Everything in the movie is clearly very carefully and intelligently planned out, just perfect execution of everything.

Fucking tremendous. Unsettling from start to finish, perfect tense, oppressive atmosphere maintained throughout, plenty of creepy haunted house type of sequences, some delightfully unforgettable and disturbing shock horror, a fantastic plot that brought some great surprises, absolutely BRILLIANT acting from all involved(Collette deserves an oscar, should be a full on clinch even this early in the year, no way someone delivers something more powerful), rare horror flick that pretty much has it all. Def one of the finest horror movies ever made.

I think between Green Room, Hereditary, and The Witch, A24 has become one of my favorite film companies.

Green Room is criminally underrated. Hereditary of course was a mainstream hit(not on the level of something like the Conjuring of course, but it still got quite a lot of fanfare/attention), and The Witch pretty much instantly found an audience with aficianados of the genre, instant cult classic essentially. But i feel like Green Room kinda slipped under the radar. Know lot of folks i talk to still havent even heard of it, while theyre atl east aware of the others. All 3 are def amazing though. Green Room might be the most intense, effective "people stabbing/jhunting other people" horror movies ever made, if it qualifies as a slasher, id give it that crown. And The Witch, holy shit, i could rant for days about how well done that was.

I think Ex Machina, although primarily scifi of course, goes to some twisted/disturbing enough places to work as horror as well. It Comes At Night was perhaps the darkest, grimmest movie ive seen in years. That's gotten a lot of mixed receptions, but i loved it, tremendous if youre down for the slow burn, survivalist, terrifyingly grounded/authentic feeling type of horror flick. Killing of the Sacred Deer was also incredibly atmospheric and disturbing, i quite dug that as well.

Oh shit and The Lobster! Not horror, but more disturbing and fucked up than most any horror movie youre bound to see anytime soon. Everyone should see The Lobster.

A24 has a lot more than just some tremendous horror though. Theyve been knocking it out of the park on the reg for quite a while now, pretty much THE gold standard for indy movie fare. Even much of the flicks they turn out that i wasnt particularly a big fan of, i still found interesting enough to be worth while(First Reformed being the most recent example of that, def worth checkin out even if it overall didnt click for me).

The dude who directed the Witch has another horror movie scheduled for 2019, released thru A24, called The Lighthouse btw. Willem Defoe and the surprisingly great Robert Pattinson are attached. Very excited to see how that goes.
there are some gigantic plot holes,

Nah, def arent.

"the Exorcist for a new generation", because it isn't

It's VASTLY superior.

Last edited:
So I was considering giving @JackBurton a crap for giving my opinion a crap, but I was SO impressed that he had a ton of positive, glowing comments to make about anything that I decided to let it go. :cheers:

Weird thing is that video isn't explaining anything that wasn't stated in the movie, it's just a recap. I know I picked up on a lot more my second watching because it kind of tricked me into thinking it was one thing then it changed and changed again; once I knew what it really was, I could focus in on the details

My advice would be avoid watching or reading anything about it and going in blind. I feel like my experience was ruined even by seeing it called the scariest movie of the year and compared to other horror films

Last edited:
I agree about not reading anything or watching anything in advance. Just go see it blind

Indeed. I've avoided watching any of these videos I post about movies unless I've already seen them. That's why they may or may not be useful to those of you who have seen them.

Def not a movie that should leave anyone wanting/needing some plot breakdown/explanation nonsense. Very easy to grasp what was goin on when it's all said in done.

Back