• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

CbabyRKO

Trumperdink Mussolini
A jury in West Virginia has taken less than 30 minutes to convict a man of incest with his three-year-old daughter, after he repeated his confession that he mistook the child for his 24-year-old wife.

The brief trial of Henry Vincent Bennett, 26, began on Wednesday in Bluefield and ended on Thursday with his conviction on two counts each of first-degree sexual assault, sexual abuse by a parent, and incest.

The sickening case took a dramatic twist when Bennett, who had claimed police pressured him into a false confession, slipped up on the witness stand and repeated his confession in front of the jury.

'It's a TV moment. It's a thing that happens on crime shows like Perry Mason,' prosecutor George Sitler told WVVA after the trial.

'You wait your whole career to get somebody to actually confess to what they're accused of on the stand, and this is the first time I've ever seen it happen,' the prosecutor added.

Bennett was first arrested in February, after his daughter told family members and then state child safety workers that she had been sexually abused.

The young girl at one point made a model of a penis out of Play-Doh and said it was Bennett's 'butt', and said that her father had put his 'butt on her butt', testified Cindy Lambert, a child advocacy worker.

When police first brought Bennett in for questioning, he denied sexually assaulting the three-year-old girl.

Eventually, Bennett confessed to sexually assaulting the girl on two occasions: once involving a sex toy, and once involving oral sex.

Bennett told police that both incidents were accidents, after the child crawled into the bed while his wife was away in the bathroom. He claimed he mistook the 30-pound girl for his 185-pound wife both times.

In the first instance he said he he 'accidentally' placed a sex toy in the child's buttocks.

The second time, he said his wife was performing oral sex on him, and then got up to go to the bathroom. He claimed the girl came into the room and began performing oral sex on him before he realized she was not his wife.

Both Bennett and his wife, 24-year-old April Bennett, were arrested. April was originally charged as an accessory to Bennett's crimes, but later took a deal pleading guilty to a charge of child neglect.

Videos of Bennett's confession were played before the jury at trial. His lawyer argued that his diminished mental capacity made him susceptible to police pressure tactics, and that the confession was false.

During the trial, Bennett took the stand in his own defense. He said that his confession had been coerced by police, who promised him he could go home if he just confessed, the Bluefield Daily Telegraph reported.

Bennett testified that he had been in special education, dropped out of school in ninth grade and twice failed to earn a GED.

Under cross-examination by the prosecutor Sitler, Bennett repeatedly denied that his confession to police was true.

'You thought making up a story would give you can chance to go home?' Sitler asked, handing Bennett a box of tissues to wipe away his tears. 'Why did you do it?'

'Because I was scared,' Bennett replied.

Sitler then pointed to a table in the courtroom full of sex toys, and reminded Bennett he had told police which one he'd used on the young girl.

The prosecutor then grilled Bennett on how he possibly could have mistaken the tiny girl for his wife.

'I was laying on my back... I thought it was April, and when I rolled over (the girl) yelled,' Bennett said, apparently repeating his confession before the jury in a moment that stunned the courtroom.

'You told Officer Fox after that incident happened, you regretted that,' Sitler said.

'I regretted saying that…I regretted talking to him, yes,' Bennett stated.

The jury was sent into deliberation at 11.35am on Thursday. The returned a verdict just before noon: guilty on all counts.

April Bennett is free on bail and scheduled to be sentenced next month. She faces a sentence of one to five years in prison.
[...]
He is tentatively scheduled to be sentenced on March 26. If sentenced consecutively, he could face 80 to 270 years behind bars.

Attachments

• henry_vincent_bennett.png
    henry_vincent_bennett.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,976
In the end, the lawyer does not have much of a choice. If a client insists they want to use a particular defense, even if the lawyer tells them it is stupid, then that defense will be used.
I got no problem with that.

In what reality is the she-godzilla there confused with a kidlet?
Max time for both...and shave his hair off...he looks like Dr.Zaius.

@Satanica
A West Virginia man who told police he sexually abused a 3-year-old girl by accident must serve at least 50 years in prison before he is eligible for parole.

The Bluefield Daily Telegraph reports Mercer Circuit Court Judge Derek Swope on Tuesday noted problems the child could suffer later in life before sentencing 27-year-old Henry Vincent Bennett of Bluefield to 25 to 100 years for each of two first-degree sexual assault charges. A jury convicted Bennett of sexual assault and other charges last year.

Prosecutors said Bennett told detectives that he twice mistook the toddler for his wife after she climbed into his bed.

Bennett’s lawyers said his admission to Bluefield police was coerced.

Swope says Bennet will be in prison “for the rest of his effective life.”

Back