• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ells9824

Bold Member!
Hate becomes more than history for victim of Temple U. beating.

20080229_dn_0jwz2azl.jpg

Snippets from Philly.com

Growing up in suburban Pennsylvania, the young man had heard horror stories from his grandfather about the Holocaust.

His grandfather was imprisoned in Auschwitz concentration camp and lived to tell about it.

So when the young man, a Penn State University student, who spoke on condition of anonymity, became the victim of a hate crime recently in front of a Jewish fraternity on the Temple University campus, he was simply incredulous that such an attack could occur in 2008....

Temple police have video of the incident in front of Alpha Epsilon Pi house on North Broad Street near Norris, cops said.

The victim remembers that several males walked up to him and his friend, who is not a Temple student.

"You f---ing Jews! You f---ing [Jewish epithet]!" are the chants he remembers from that early Friday morning.

The four suspects - Michael Walsh, 20, of Florham Park, N.J.; David Scott, 20, and Steven Scott, 19, two brothers from Willow Grove, Montgomery County; and Bryan Pediero, 19, of East Brunswick, N.J. - turned themselves into Philadelphia police on Wednesday and yesterday to face the music, police said.

It really is a terrible time to be a Jew in the Western wold, especially at college. So I can't say that I'm surprised. I know that at my own university, there was a major problem with anti-semitic violence by Black Muslims. These days, we just have a few major anti-semitic professors, some similarly alarming guest speakers, and some anti-semitic graffiti issues, like this most recent one:

image003sq1.jpg

And we're one of the better campuses! I'd hate see what students at places like UC Irvine, SF State, and Temple have to deal with.

It really is a terrible time to be a Jew in the Western wold, especially at college.

True, it is a terrible time to be a Jew in the Western World. But, it is also the best that Jews have ever been treated in the Western World.

Things are shitty, but they had to improve a TON to get to this level of "shitty".

I have an idea. Why don't Jews start marrying and socializing outside of their religion, and see if this improves their lot. Just a thought.

True, it is a terrible time to be a Jew in the Western World. But, it is also the best that Jews have ever been treated in the Western World.

Things are shitty, but they had to improve a TON to get to this level of "shitty".

I have an idea. Why don't Jews start marrying and socializing outside of their religion, and see if this improves their lot. Just a thought.

This has been covered before, but that ALREADY FUCKING HAPPENS!

INTERMARRIAGE STATISTICS
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Our grandparents prayed for a melting pot. What they got instead was a meltdown!" - Rabbi Ephraim Buchwald, Founder, National Jewish Outreach Program
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As the year 2000 fast approaches, North America's Jewish population faces a disturbing set of trends that threatens the viability of Judaism on this continent in the next century -- The J2K (Jewish 2000) Problem. Unlike the persecution that the Jewish people have endured by the hands of others for over 3,000 years, Jews on this continent now face a "silent holocaust" stemming from within their very own communities and their very own households. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Today, of the approximately 6 million Jews in the United States, about 2 out of 3, either do not identify themselves Jewishly or maintain an affiliation with a synagogue. This staggering portrait of American Jewish life is perpetuated by a host of disturbing national trends, including a quickly growing rate of Jewish intermarriage, an extraordinary low birth rate, and a sharp increase in the number of children being raised as non-Jews. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In the past, Jews rallied together around a core of religious and ethnic traditions, such as synagogue affiliation, lighting of Shabbat candles and giving charity to Jewish institutions. These practices were first learned in the home and were enhanced over a lifetime of familial and communal interaction. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]However today, North America's Jewish population has experienced an internal breakdown of both the family unit and the concept of community, that have unified the Jewish people for so long. As these ancient practices and rituals disappear, so do the number of Jewish people on this continent who consider themselves Jewish. So powerful is this meltdown of Jewish life, that Judaism in America, as we have known it for the last 300 years, will likely cease to exist in the new millennium. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Consider the following statistics*: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Jewish identity is declining sharply.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Of 5.6 million Jews, 2 million American Jews live in households identified as non-Jewish [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]60% of Jews below 40 years of age live in households identified as non-Jewish [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20% of Jews over 60 years of age live in households identified as non-Jewish [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Intermarriage rates are increasing dramatically.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Before 1965, 10% of Jews who married, did so outside the faith. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Since 1985, 52% of Jews who married have done so outside the faith. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Children are being raised as non-Jews.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 million, or 54% of all American Jewish children under the age of 18 are being raised as non-Jews or with no religion. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Fertility Rates are not high enough to replenish the religion.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The average fertility rate of American Jewish women is 1.4 children per household. The replacement level is 2.1 children.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Less emphasis is being placed on a Jewish education. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In 1962, 540,000 Jewish children were attending afternoon weekend schools, and 60,000 were enrolled in day schools. By 1990, fewer than 240,000 Jewish children attended afternoon /weekend schools and 140,000 attended day schools. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NET LOSS -- 220,000 Jewish children. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Traditional Shabbat observance is extremely low. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Only 36% of Jewish households light the Shabbat Candles. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Of the population that consists of people who were born Jewish and are Jewish by choice, only 11% attend synagogue weekly. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]njop.org [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]* All Statistics taken from Council of Jewish Federations' 1990 National Jewish Population Survey. This is the most comprehensive source of American Jewish data available [/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]RELATED ARTICLE:
bullet.GIF
Will Your Grandchildren Be Jews?
MAIN PAGE: Intermarriage...Why Not?

Excellent post, gprime. Unfortunately, hatreds and prejudices persist for a generation. Even if Jews begin to assimilate, as the Irish did last century, it will take the people who remember them as exclusive dying out before the reputation changes.

I think we are seeing black/white racism lessen as the generation that went through the equal rights movement passes on, and the blissfully unaware generation takes their place. If Jews decide to become part of the melting-pot, the prejudices will die off with the last of the segregationists.

We have plenty of historical precedents for this. American Poles, Italians, and Irish went through the same phases, and eventually saw an end to persecution and ridicule. The reason it has been so long-lasting with Jews is because religious conservatism is much more resistant than National conservatism.

I feel extremely honored to live during a time when I can witness the gradual crumbling of organized religion, and your post, above, really warmed my heart.

If it were just the religious aspect, I would fully agree with you. I have no sympathies for people of any theological persuasion other than Atheism (if that even fits within said category). But, we're also talking about an ethnic group here with a pretty distinct, and undeniably impactful, culture. And that is not something I want to lose. Take a figure like Woody Allen. He has the "Jewish sense of humor" that dies out when the Jewish people die out. And, if current statistics persist, some (and I personally know one of the researchers on the project) studies have shown (looking for the link) that by 2050 the only remaining Jews will be the Orthodox. And I can tell you this: while they might be the most theologically productive branch, they lag way behind in everything else. They won't be giving us the next Woody Allen, Albert Einstein, or Caroline Glick.

If it were just the religious aspect, I would fully agree with you. I have no sympathies for people of any theological persuasion other than Atheism (if that even fits within said category). But, we're also talking about an ethnic group here with a pretty distinct, and undeniably impactful, culture. And that is not something I want to lose. Take a figure like Woody Allen. He has the "Jewish sense of humor" that dies out when the Jewish people die out. And, if current statistics persist, some (and I personally know one of the researchers on the project) studies have shown (looking for the link) that by 2050 the only remaining Jews will be the Orthodox. And I can tell you this: while they might be the most theologically productive branch, they lag way behind in everything else. They won't be giving us the next Woody Allen, Albert Einstein, or Caroline Glick.

I don't see anything inherently "Jewish" about Einstein, and I don't think he did, either.

Without the religion (which is a bunch of bullshit), what sort of cultural legacy do they have? Their entire identity is built around their myths. This can't be a good thing.

If, by ridding ourselves of an inherently racist and exclusionary culture, we lose one brand of comedian, I say good riddance. I went through your links and was just utterly disgusted by the hate dripping from their pages. The hate of all things non-Jewish. People complaining about kids marrying the people they love, instead of the people the Bible commands them to marry. I read some of the letters and passages to my wife and we were both disgusted by the crap.

Wonderful examples of how religions inspire hate, not love. Honestly, reading the racist bullshit in those links really removes what little sympathy I have for Jews who are hated back. Because that's what happens... the Jews have an identity which revolves around them being the "chosen people", and a disdain for all others. Then, they cry to mommy when other people treat them with the same lack of respect.

The good news is that you convince me that this is drawing to an end, so I will no longer assume that Jews under the age of 40 are hateful, racist, elitist scumbag motherfuckers. Just the ones over 60. ;)

I used to work at Temple University. It is one dangerous area when I was there. No need for anti-Semites or criminals of any type to import themselves from New Jersey and Willow Grove. I wonder how this gang of idiots happened to be on the campus.

Lol! I hadn't even thought of that! I'd pictured them getting in the car and driving over the Ben Franklin bridge to visit. My brain must have been on low-power.

Gprime

Seriously, those passages and links you provided don't read much different than some of the white supremacist stuff I have read.

You do realize that in saying that you not caring about the religious part of being a Jew and worrying about where the next Einstien is coming from makes it seem as if you believe that your "race" is superior. Because without the customs and practices of the religion, all you have left is who you happened to be born too.

That is fine with me, but I know quite a few Jews that are by no means Einsteins. I know a drug addicted baby daddy who lives under a bridge whenever his parents cut him off. He's a full blooded Jewish man. I know a woman that is so addled by alcoholism and mental illness that she has attempted suicide 10 times, 3 times in front of her children. She holds a PhD and is a therapist. There are plenty more like them.

I teach my daughter as much as I can about my culture as well as her father's culture, even though we are agnostic. Unfortunately, she will never be recognized by the Jewish community as belonging because 1. She is my daughter and 2. She is adopted - even if we raised her as a practicing Jew, observing all holy days and keeping kosher. That is nothing the outside world did to the Jews. That is something they do to themselves.

But, I will say this, if you truly believe in what I read on those pages and what you are saying here, by all means, do what you have to do keep your race pure. Just make sure you let all the shicksas know that you believe they are for practice only.

Kathy, what I posted was essentially a long, linked quote. And I did so because of the statistics shown. But to get to your point, of course I have to ignore the religious aspect, as I would with any other group. But, I think the ethnic point is relevant. Of course among the Jewish community, as with any other group, there are idiots and losers. But on the whole, the average Jewish IQ far exceeds that of a typical goy. Intermarriage puts that at risk, when these great minds breed with potentially sub-par minds. Of course I respect everybody's right to choose what works for them, including marrying a non-Jew. But that doesn't mean I'm inclined to embrace the idea as a sound intellectual one.

But on the whole, the average Jewish IQ far exceeds that of a typical goy. Intermarriage puts that at risk, when these great minds breed with potentially sub-par minds.

AH-HAHAHAHAHAHA! Can you give statistics from a less biased source?

Seriously, I need to introduce you to some people.

I will say because education is stressed in Jewish culture for the males, most Jewish males are very educated and usually have higher than average IQs. The females, not so much. While my other half is very intelligent, his sister and mother couldn't find their way out of a paper bag. I think that has more to do with nurture than nature.

Last edited:
AH-HAHAHAHAHAHA! Can you give statistics from a less biased source?

Seriously, I need to introduce you to some people.

I will say because education is stressed in Jewish culture for the males, most Jewish males are very educated and usually have higher than average IQs. The females, not so much. While my other half is very intelligent, his sister and mother couldn't find their way out of a paper bag. I think that has more to do with nurture than nature.

In the Orthodox community, there remains some gender-based parity in education. But in the rest of the Jewish community, in our time, this is simply not the case. In the three Jewish schools I attended, there were always more women than men. And in the secular schools, obviously women are getting the same education as men. So I take great issue with that claim.

As for nurture, I again take issue. Einstein failed his way through school, but proved himself to be the greatest ever scientist. You cannot possibly claim that he was intellectually nurtured.

In the Orthodox community, there remains some gender-based parity in education. But in the rest of the Jewish community, in our time, this is simply not the case. In the three Jewish schools I attended, there were always more women than men. And in the secular schools, obviously women are getting the same education as men. So I take great issue with that claim.

As for nurture, I again take issue. Einstein failed his way through school, but proved himself to be the greatest ever scientist. You cannot possibly claim that he was intellectually nurtured.

I'm not talking about high school diplomas. Jews are not any different than other people when it comes to wanting their children to do well in school. I'm talking college education. It is expected that a male get a degree and become a professional. It is just expected that a female finds one of these males to latch on to and be his wife and have his babies.

And as far as Einstein goes, he was an exceptional person among ALL people. He just happened to be a Jew. I don't think he would have been a different person had he been born a White Anglo Saxon Protestant. The only difference there is I would be having some skinhead telling me how their race was intellectually superior because of this one man instead of you.

Greatest ever scientist? Not even fucking close. Einstein wouldn't be in my top 10. No fucking way. He wasn't even in the top 5 in his lifetime. He helped found quantum electro dynamics, and then spent the rest of his life unable to keep up with his peers, and doubting their results. In these arguments, and in his famous arguments with Bohr, he has been proven wrong again and again. Nature DOES play dice.

The only inspiring work Albert ever created was his blackbody radiation work. Relativity, like Natural Selection, was an idea whose time had come, and was being arrived at from a dozen different directions. We remember Al and Darwin, but who was Grossman? Who was Wallace?

Einstein had one productive year in his entire career as a scientist. 4 papers. That is it. Nothing more. A lifetime of media-worship and anti-war quotes. The most overrated scientist in human history by a long mile.

Rutherford
Bohr
Hawkings
Newton
Galileo
Copernicus
Lorentz
Dirac (!!)
Darwin
Edison
Pasteur
Hubble

I can just rattle off a ton of people that Einstein doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside. The list of mathematicians would run in the thousands before you got to Al. I was in 10th grade when I found a mistake in his work, but most kids who get into physics do this much earlier.

lol! I knew swivel would be in here like stink on shit as soon as he read gprime's Einstein comment. Thanks, swivel! I would have started worrying about you had you not commented in the next hour.

Back