• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://nypost.com/2018/11/14/hasbros-new-monopoly-for-millennials-game-is-an-insulting-experience/Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Go directly to hell.

Millennials have long been maligned for their inability to “adult” — from avoiding marriage to quitting their jobs to travel.

But perhaps most central to the millennial MO is the issue of property investments — of which they infamously have none.

So the cynical game-makers at Hasbro devised Monopoly for Millennials.

“Forget real estate. You can’t afford it anyway,” the cover of the $19.82 (get it?) board game reads.

Players don’t win with money to buy homes or railroads, but instead collect “experience points” by earning rewards such as a 3-Day Music Festival or going to a vegan bistro — because memories “last forever.”

Perhaps hitting the closest to home was one of the “hottest destinations” of all: couch-surfing.

Player pieces include a few things millennials simply can’t live without, such as a camera, sunglasses and a hashtag.

“Money doesn’t always buy a great time,” says the insultingly disingenuous description. “But experiences, whether they’re good — or weird — last forever.”

Let’s just hope their student loan debt and the threat of losing Social Security don’t.
181114-millennial-monopoly-game-03.jpg

Too funny! Be interested to see if it is a hit with the target demographic... seems like it's a bit too honest to me, and therefore potentially offensive to snowflake sensibilities, but maybe they can find a way to enjoy it ironically.

Oh ho! I suspect the true target consumers are Gen Xr's and Baby Boomers; two groups who still play board games (instead of their phones) and love to ridicule Millenials. This sounds delightful!

I bought Monopoly Jr. for the kids and I liked playing that one as opposed to classic Monopoly, they gave it a definite end, so you're not still playing it at 3am.

Not sure the inability to afford to buy a home is necessarily one of the things to ridicule "millennials" over.

There's a whole shit ton of things driving that, things that resulted from the generations prior to said "millenials" completely fucking everything up.

I also have a big problem with society merely joking about things that are largely effected by the never ending and completely unchecked rising of already astronomical college tuition costs. Society tells young people, "college is the way, you have to go to college if you want to make it, it's super important" and then ridicules them when they make poor life choices and actually go get a degree and then either can't get a good job with it cuz theyre dumbshits who majored in liberal artistry or they land a good job but cant afford jack shit because theyre drowning in student loan debt.

PLUS, it has been decades and decades since one could exit highschool and simply go get a job at the car manufacturing plant in town and be an instant member of the comfortably middle class, able to afford a nice home and car and all the rest of the things society has decided people "need". The inability to afford to purchase a home without significant struggle and slaving away for years and years and years has been a facet of society and has effected FARRRRR more generations and groups of folks than the flavor of the day "millennials".

I dont see a problem with the classic Monopoly game i grew up with.
I always lost until i grasped the concept of buying utilities and railroads. Esp utilities.
Still a good investment.

Not sure the inability to afford to buy a home is necessarily one of the things to ridicule "millennials" over.

There's a whole shit ton of things driving that, things that resulted from the generations prior to said "millenials" completely fucking everything up.

I also have a big problem with society merely joking about things that are largely effected by the never ending and completely unchecked rising of already astronomical college tuition costs. Society tells young people, "college is the way, you have to go to college if you want to make it, it's super important" and then ridicules them when they make poor life choices and actually go get a degree and then either can't get a good job with it cuz theyre dumbshits who majored in liberal artistry or they land a good job but cant afford jack shit because theyre drowning in student loan debt.

PLUS, it has been decades and decades since one could exit highschool and simply go get a job at the car manufacturing plant in town and be an instant member of the comfortably middle class, able to afford a nice home and car and all the rest of the things society has decided people "need". The inability to afford to purchase a home without significant struggle and slaving away for years and years and years has been a facet of society and has effected FARRRRR more generations and groups of folks than the flavor of the day "millennials".

We’re just cleaning up the mess and living the best we can through it. That’s the best way to describe it in my opinion.

I went to college and got a degree I never use, the debt was awesome though, let me tell you. Nothing like owing thousands of dollars while waitressing in your early twenties.

I’m 41. I just bought my first house last week. I look back when people bought them as soon as they got married at 20 and I’m like but how???

I went to college and got a degree I never use, the debt was awesome though, let me tell you. Nothing like owing thousands of dollars while waitressing in your early twenties.

I’m 41. I just bought my first house last week. I look back when people bought them as soon as they got married at 20 and I’m like but how???
I live in Baltimore, plenty of decent paying jobs and reasonably priced homes for sale, but it would require one to live in Baltimore (which is not as bad as the media makes it out to be, in fact the more I live here the more I'm more like it). Here's a Zillion search for homes under $200,000 (many are under $100,000) https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...2,-76.436005,39.169198,-76.805077_rect/11_zm/

I live in Baltimore, plenty of decent paying jobs and reasonably priced homes for sale, but it would require one to live in Baltimore (which is not as bad as the media makes it out to be, in fact the more I live here the more I'm more like it). Here's a Zillion search for homes under $200,000 (many are under $100,000) https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...2,-76.436005,39.169198,-76.805077_rect/11_zm/

My and Keisha’s entire extended family lives here. My child’s father makes a very good living here. It would be near impossible to uproot ourselves and move across the country for cheap housing.

Hard pressed to find a decent home, certainly one big enough for a family, under 100 grand. Very rare. Most areas in this country are going to be vastly more pricey. And even something under 200 is going to be a monumental financial undertaking for the overwhelming majority of Americans.

Most of these people choosing to forgo buying a house until theyre well into their 30s(if not older in some cases) arent saving up for huge mansions or pricier homes. Were talkin about stuff in the 100-200 grand range mainly.

Back