• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
January 26, 2018

A mother walked into a Chicago fire station and left her newborn daughter with firefighters Thursday evening, using Illinois’ safe haven law that allows parents to legally leave a baby with an emergency medical provider.

The woman dropped off the girl at the station, according to Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford.

The baby was several hours old, he said, and was evaluated at Advocate Trinity Hospital.

“All is well,” Langford said.

The Illinois Abandoned Newborn Infant Protection Act was passed in 2001 to allow parents to safely give up newborns. The law says a baby can be left with staff at a fire station, police station, hospital or other emergency medical providers within 30 days of the birth.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-safe-haven-20180126-story.html

I was confused about why this was an article at first since, far from being a crime, this woman did the right thing.

I am so happy and relieved at the responses here. I'm sure that this was a difficult decision for the mother to make, and she should be applauded for making such a selfless choice for her child. Too many times on here we read about birth givers having children they don't want and then murdering or severely abusing those children. I don't even call those birthers "mothers" because they don't deserve the title. More of them should make this choice.

Back