• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
1568571202277.png

Thanks @Spider for sending this story our way!

Authorities believe a homeowner ignited an explosion inside his Edgewood house in an apparent suicide, causing the structure to collapse Saturday afternoon, the day of his daughter’s wedding.

Police said the man’s body was found amid the rubble at 318 Garland St. late Saturday night. His identity has not been released.

Police and fire units arrived on the scene after a 911 call came in at 2:28 p.m. about the explosion.

Neighbors said the man who owns the home was standing in front of the house shortly before it exploded, Edgewood police Chief Robert Payne said.

“It’s my understanding that his family had a wedding today, and that most of the family was out of the house, but we have witnesses that indicate they saw him near the house just before the explosion,” Chief Payne said.

After the fire had been extinguished, heavy equipment was brought in to sift through the rubble as authorities searched for the man. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette news partner KDKA-TV reported that the man’s body was found late Saturday night and that police believe he intentionally set the explosion as a means to kill himself.

What is believed to be the homeowner’s cell phone was found resting on the outside of the windshield of his SUV, which was parked on the street nearby, “which is kind of odd, and so that troubles us,” Chief Payne said earlier in the day.

The Allegheny County homicide unit and fire marshal were on the scene to investigate during the day. Late in the evening, the county’s Bomb Squad was called to the scene to check out the vehicle and neighbors said they were told to evacuate at around 11 p.m. Officers gave the all clear at midnight and residents were allowed back in their homes.

Chief Payne said police had been called to the house multiple times previous to Saturday’s explosion. He declined to elaborate on the nature of the previous visits to the home.

The chief initially deemed the fire suspicious because there was “no reason for this particular house to go up. There’s no gas issues here. We’ve been here before, we know who this gentleman is, and I’ll leave it at that.”

The homeowner’s family could not be reached Saturday.

Last edited:
Sounds like he gave the daughter an excellent wedding gift.
A future without his antics.

Guy is a frigging showboating attention whore.
Likely left a video on his cellphone.
Best advice, delete without watching.
Just like he was!

I wouldn't mind blowing up some parts of Edgewood. The main road and many of the side roads are under heavy construction right now, making traffic an absolute nightmare. Especially since construction started about the same time school did.

Anyway, according to this article, some people say he was a great guy, really nice and helpful to his neighbors. Other people say he was an asshole with anger issues. Guess it just depends on your relationship to/with him...

OMG, he did it just before the wedding. Talk about ruining an important day in her life.

Did he hate the groom?
Did he have a thing for his own daughter?
Was this his oldest kid and he didn't want to lose control?
Other?

He wasn't at the wedding, so he probably wasn't invited, or he would have been with all the others getting ready or whatever else they do. So I think that probably says all that needs to be said about this asshole, he wasn't invited so he made sure they'd never forget him.

Back