• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.onlineathens.com/news/20180615/hart-county-grandmother-kills-rabid-bobcat-with-bare-hands
A rabid bobcat recently attacked a Hart County grandmother in her yard, spurring a furious battle that ended with the cat’s strangulation death.

“I thought, ‘Not today.’ There was no way I was going to die,” DeDe Phillips said Thursday as she recalled the attack that occurred June 7 at her home off Liberty Church Road.

Phillips has begun a round of rabies shots at Northeast Georgia Medical Center. She also has a broken finger, and numerous bite and claw wounds to her hands, arms, chest and legs.

“I’m very lucky,” the 46-year-old woman said.

The unprovoked attack occurred about 6 p.m. She had been working on her truck that afternoon and posted a bumper sticker that read: “Women who behave rarely make history.” She planned to photograph the sticker and send it to her husband.

She walked out of the house with her cell phone.

“My neighbor’s dog was barking and it drew my attention,” she said. “I saw the cat and I took a picture. The cat took two steps and was on top of me. ... It came for my face.”

Phillips grew up in the country, where her father-in-law was once a trapper of bobcats. As a result, she knew something about the animal’s behavior.

“They go for your jugular ... because when they can get the vein you’re dead in a couple of minutes,” she said.
[....]
“It caught me slightly on my face, but I got him before he could do much damage there,” she said. “I took it straight to the ground and started inching my hands up to its throat. I knew that was the only way I was getting out of this.”

With both hands around the bobcat’s neck she began squeezing, but she never shouted for help because her 5-year-old granddaughter was in the house.

“I was scared if I screamed for help that my granddaughter would come out and I didn’t want that to happen,” she said.

“Once I got him where he wasn’t moving I started screaming for my daughter-in-law to call 911,” she said. Phillips’ son was also called after the 911 call and he showed up with a gun.

But Phillips would not release her grip on the crazed animal as she feared it might not truly be dead.

She didn’t want her son to fire the gun because she was so close, so he pulled a knife.
“My son stabbed it four or five times, but it never budged so I knew it was completely dead,” she said.

After Hart County deputies and an ambulance arrived, Phillips drove herself to a hospital. She learned the next day the bobcat was rabid.

Phillips lives in a rural area near the Elbert County line and said she learned only recently a rabid skunk and rabid fox were found in the same area.

Phillips’ cousin Amy Leann Mize has set up an account in Fundly.com to raise money for Phillips medical expenses as the first round of rabies shots already have cost her $10,000. She also faces expenses for treatments to her wounds.

Find the account at this web address: fundly.com/let-s-help-dede.

Not
<----------- this Granny !

I think you'd change your mind if you really were in that position. I know I would! If I lived where they live, I don't think I'd go outside without a gun. Someone needs to track down the vector for all of those rabies cases that seem to be concentrated there (at least the way the article makes it sound).

I have a mad girl crush on this lady.

Edit to add
I love her for the bumper sticker.
I love for having the gumption to fight and fight she did! I love her for have the forethought to not get her little involved. And lastly she didn't trust letting go until she was sure it was dead.

She fought a good fight and won.

You go grandma bear!

Last edited:
I think you'd change your mind if you really were in that position. I know I would! If I lived where they live, I don't think I'd go outside without a gun. Someone needs to track down the vector for all of those rabies cases that seem to be concentrated there (at least the way the article makes it sound).
I think you are right. I most likely would. Give up, is just not in my vocabulary. I am in Southeastern Ga. and we see a few cases a year. I have a healthy fear of rabies, and a lovely 9mm just in case.

I'm more afraid of rabies than any other illness.
When I was still at the house I found a sick cat leaning up against the foundation. It was unable to stand, was screaming, and looked in bad shape. I had animal control come get it.

A couple of years ago I found a video of a rabid cat in a vet clinic. It was acting just exactly like the sick cat by my house. I'll tell you, that sent chills up my spine.

--Al

When I was still at the house I found a sick cat leaning up against the foundation. It was unable to stand, was screaming, and looked in bad shape. I had animal control come get it.

A couple of years ago I found a video of a rabid cat in a vet clinic. It was acting just exactly like the sick cat by my house. I'll tell you, that sent chills up my spine.

--Al
Scary.
Where I live now, there is always dumped animals and packs of wild dogs.
When my dad lived here, he came home one night to the wild pack ripping a skunk up. He chased the dogs off and whacked it with a shovel and buried it.
He called me the next day and told me about it. I told him to call animal control and dig it up to be tested.

Sure enough, it tested positive.
Animal control spent the next two weeks trapping the dogs and putting them down.

Can you imagine 10-12 rabid dogs running amuck?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-str...-bobcat-attacks-authorities/story?id=55931872

A Georgia woman saved her own life when she was attacked by a bobcat by overpowering the large feline and strangling it, according to local authorities.
Emergency dispatchers received a call about the incident after 6 p.m. on June 7, and when deputies got to the scene, the woman still had the bobcat by the throat and was holding it down on the ground, Hart County Sheriff Mike Cleveland told ABC News. The woman was in front of a relative's home, and several people were in the yard at the time of the attack, he said.
The woman was identified by the Hartwell Sun as 46-year-old Hartwell resident Dede Mealor Phillips.
The fully-grown bobcat had attacked the Phillips at least twice by clawing and biting her, Cleveland said. Every time she would loosen her grip a little, it would attack her again.
So, Phillips had no choice but to choke it, and another family member stabbed it with a knife for good measure, Cleveland said.
"She really didn't have a choice," Cleveland said. "She did the best she could, and she did."
Phillips was taken to the hospital, where she was treated for injuries to her hands and arms, Cleveland said. Her daughter-in-law, Heather Mealor, wrote on Facebook later that night that she was headed home but was in pain and didn't have much use of her hands.
The Georgia Department of Natural Resources took the bobcat's body to be examined, Cleveland said, adding that he's sure it had rabies because bobcats are typically nighttime hunters and stay away from humans.
"When you see one that's in the daytime, that's not afraid people, then something's really wrong with it," he said.
The bobcat was about 3 feet long, but it was skinnier than usual, which is likely due to the rabies, Cleveland said.
While the bobcat population in the area isn't sizable, Cleveland said there have been several incidents of rabid animals in the past four weeks. About 12 miles away from where the woman was attacked, a bobcat had walked into a building in the middle of the day had tested positive for rabies, as well as two skunks, one of which attacked someone, Cleveland said.

One doesn't get much cooler than the bare-handed killing a wild animal.
That kind of a grip, she must give a hell of a handjob

Rabies confirmed ... She tested positives for it. Wow scary ... and Savage.

I seen a lynx once ... It was early 6am. At first I thought it was dog, but but he was by himself, there was no owner around ... then I thought it was a bear, because even at a distance you could tell that he has really thick fur, But he had a really long tail .. and bears do not. Anyway ... I felt kind of scared and mostly blessed because I never seen one before that.

One doesn't get much cooler than the bare-handed killing a wild animal.
Then allow me to introduce to you Mr. Carl Akeley who, along with being hailed as the father of modern taxidermy, managed that feat with a leopard he wounded while collecting specimens in Ethiopia for Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History.

Mr. Akeley was also a prolific inventor, developing the process now known as "shotcrete" or "gunite" for spraying concrete and improving upon the motion picture camera among other things. He held over 30 patents, so "other things" covered quite a range. He was also an ardent conservationist and authored several books.

He rests today in the Africa that he loved so, and I wish I had been privileged enough to meet him.

--Al

Back