• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Officials in Germany are defending their decision to seize an indebted family's pet pug and sell it on eBay, saying the move was a last resort because authorities were unable to find anything else to take.

The incident in the western town of Ahlen prompted criticism on social media from people who felt the decision to take away the family's beloved dog was heartless.

The family in question had allegedly failed to pay its debts to the town, including a dog tax. The pug, called Edda, was sold online for 750 euros ($854).

That's Krauts for you. These people havent changed since WW2. On the surface they have, but there is something deeply ingrained in their culture and genetics that just cant be changed. These people are the worst.

If history is any guide, Germans don't have a problem with that.

True, but I believe the Germans to be smart and efficient. I'd be sure that they would evaluate ROI and the risk to reward ratio, then come to the conclusion - "Ya know man, we should just let this guy keep his dog".

I think this is fake.

You can't sell live animals on eBay.
Seems like it might be legit. Even the New York Times, the BBC, and AP is running it, with some outlets having follow ups. Here's an article from People.
[...]

A police officer named Michaela Jordan then bought Edda, according to the BBCthis link opens in a new tab, via local German newspaper Ahlener Tageblattthis link opens in a new tab.

Jordan spoke to Ahlener Tageblatt, where she said that she was told Edda was healthy when she purchased the dog on eBay. Now, Jordan is saying that the pug had undisclosed medical issues — including eye problems that have led to four operations since the time Edda was purchased in December.

Jordan also told the outlet that she is planning to sue the city for damages of 1,800 euros — about $2,048.

Ahlener Tageblatt also spoke to Edda’s original owner, who said, “I know now that Edda is in good hands,” but added that her three children miss the pug.

“I didn’t know what was more outrageous: the fact that they seized the dog or the fact that they put it on eBay,” Birgitt Thiesmann of FOUR PAWSthis link opens in a new tab, a German animal protection charity, told the New York Timesthis link opens in a new tab.

According to the BBC, city spokesperson Frank Merschhaus has said the incident will be investigated.

Back