• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An elected official in the city of South Fulton says he’s using food stamps and missed a utility payment because he’s broke.

Khalid Kamau is wearing it as a badge of honor, telling constituents it gives him empathy with struggling residents. It also highlights how many public officials are paid poverty-level wages.

Distributing flyers at a city park, Councilman Kamau looks the part of an energetic elected official. But he revealed a startling fact about himself on social media last week. Showing his EBT card for what used to be called food stamps – and a notice cutting off his gas utility-- Kamau revealed he’s broke.

"I recently started telling people I make $13,000 a year. Lots of people assume we already make fifty or sixty" thousand, Kamau told 11Alive News Monday.

Kamau is a part-time elected official who’s supposed to support himself with other work. Kamau drives for Uber – another low paying job. He is also a political consultant.

He says he has since paid his past-due gas bill. "Three, four days" the gas was off, he said.

But he publicized it to make a point – that too often, the public gets what it pays for.

"And I think that that creates a lot of the problems that we see in terms of, you know, corruption

There are countless examples. Former state representative Tyrone Brooks got a prison sentence for fraud. Former DeKalb County commissioner Elaine Boyer went to federal prison for stealing from the county.

"I think we have to re-frame the conversation," Kamau said. "When you’re really working on behalf of the people, they do want to see you be compensated."

Back