• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Valasca

Death, horror, torture
Gail Schoening's family spent 12 years scouring Broward County and chasing leads around the state for signs of the missing woman.

She had not gone far.

Plantation police found Gail Schoening's body entombed in her car at the bottom of a lake, only about 100 yards from her front door.

Although some questions remain, family members said they are pleased to finally have learned what happened to Schoening, they said Friday.

"We're happy she was found, but sad about the circumstances," said her mother, Arlene Schoening, of North Brunswick, N.J. "We'd been going through all the possibilities."

Gail Schoening was a month shy of her 36th birthday when she vanished in April 1997.

Her family said she left her apartment in the Gatehouse on the Green complex to catch a flight for a job interview in North Carolina. Recently divorced, she was hoping to be hired as a computer database analyst in that state. But she never made it to the airport.

Gail Schoening's parents worked with police to try to find her. A year after Gail Schoening's disappearance, an unknown caller requested a PIN number on her 401(k) account in Orlando, but the lead didn't pan out. Other tips and sightings proved fruitless.

The case did have one big clue: Her 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse also was missing. Early on, the Shoenings suspected their daughter might have driven into a canal or lake. They hired a pilot to fly over bodies of water.

Police checked that possibility and sent dive teams to dredge several bodies of water, said Detective Robert Rettig, a Plantation police spokesman.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...ion-woman-found-20091120,0,5572904,full.story

So she just rolled right in, eh?

I wonder what her motivation was. If it was accidental or intentional.

Last edited:
That's one of the problems in FL. There are so many lakes and swamps it can be impossible to find someone.

You ain't lying, Bay.
A canal could be only 9 feet apart, bank to bank, but then it's 9+ feet deep. And murky. Black murky.
Those 5 teens missing from Coral Springs since... mid 80s, i think, were just recently found... still in the van, in a canal.

Missing 12 years, found about a football field away from home. She was dead long before they even started looking for her. If that's not creepy and freaky, I don't know what it.

Investigators didn't say whether they thought it was suicide or not. Curious what they told her parents. At this point better off to think it was just an accident even if it wasn't. How can they know for certain?

It's good they have closure, not ever knowing would be torture. Rest in peace Gail Schoening.

I'm betting on accident.
It's not hard to fall into a canal down here.
Then, if the person panics, it's hard to get out of the car.

Back