• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
[....]
More than a million tonnes of water that has been used to cool melted reactors is kept in giant tanks.

Fisherman's groups are strongly opposed to the idea but many scientists say it would pose a low risk.

The government said a final decision had not yet been taken.
[....]
For the last eight years around 200 tonnes of radioactive water have been pumped out of the damaged reactor buildings every day.

Most of the radioactive isotopes have been removed using a complex filtration process. But one isotope, tritium, cannot be removed so the water has been stored in a huge tanks which will fill up by 2022.

There has long been a plan to dump the water in to the Pacific ocean and the Environment Minister Yoshiaki Harada has now said that he supports the plan.

Many scientists say the water would quickly be diluted in the vastness of the Pacific Ocean, and that tritium poses a low risk to human and animal health.

But the BBC's Tokyo Correspondent Rupert Wingfield-Hayes reports that this does not mean the controversial plan will happen.

Fishermen's groups are strongly opposed to it and the South Korea government has made it clear if Japan goes ahead it will further damage an already fraught relationship.

The International Atomic Energy Agency says Japan has to make a decision about what is going to happen to the contaminated water urgently.

Most of the radioactive isotopes have been removed using a complex filtration process. But one isotope, tritium, cannot be removed so the water has been stored in a huge tanks which will fill up by 2022.

Isn't that what tribbles eat?

Just dump it.

I imagine it's not out of the realm of possibility that they've been doing it on the down low. But, hey, it's so diluted I'm sure we won't be sprouting an extra head or anything as a result.

With the amount of shit we've already dumped in the oceans, I tend to feel this isn't really going to make it much worse.

Since they oppose dumping, what does South Korea expect Japan to do then? Build more storage tanks with the limited space they have?

Back