• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member
Not sure how I stumbled on this band, but I am pretty sure I was watching a Type O Negative reaction video and, as usual, got in the mood to listen to them. In the process, I realized how much I missed Steele and, as usual, got a little pissed we'd never hear anything new from him or the band.

So this got me looking, as usual, for any bands that would scratch the itch. Anything at all. I went through the usual suspects - On A Pale Horse, Moonspell, Life of Agony, Pist.On, Woods of Ypres, etc., ET SET UR RAH. But nope... as usual, some good bands in the list, but nothing satisfying my craving for some ToN.

Then I went on Reddit.

Another redditor, like me, was lamenting the lack of any future ToN and asked for some suggestions. Most replies were the bands listed above, which most ToN fans already know about. But one was a band I have never heard of - Frown.

According to Metal Archives, Frown is a band from Slovakia who have been around since 1997. They have released four albums, the latest released in 2014, and let me tell you -- if you didn't know any better you'd think you were listening to Type O Negative. I'm not sure if that is their aim, but I suspect it is as they don't just ape their sound, and song structure, they also copy their look, color scheme, song titles, etc. Here, check this shit out:

I mean, come on, man! Had I knew this band existed while ToN was still around, I would have probably hated them on principal alone. But now, after almost a decade since Steele's death (yup!) and a decade since the last ToN album was released? Thank God for Frown.

Don't get me wrong, no one, I mean no one, will ever replace Steele and what he brought to the table from a musician standpoint. There will never be another Type O Negative album --but goddamn Frown comes so friggin' close.

Since I couldn't find them on Spotify, I ended up buying all four of their albums via their Bandcamp page. I've had them on all day. Figured I'd share the love for any other ToN fans out there jonesing for something similar but not finding anything.

Some hidden gems in Eastern Europe.

And that's how I feel about Gruesome and Death... if Death were still around, Gruesome would be an insult, but as it is, they are a breath of fresh air.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, definite TON-worship.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back