• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Melissa Lambert initially wasn’t crazy about the idea of getting a dog.

She and her husband already had their hands full in Waynesboro, Pa., with three young children, ages 3 to 8. A dog would bring even more work.

But then Lambert met Edgar, a Treeing Walker Coonhound, who turned up at the local humane society shelter where Lambert regularly brought her girls to play with the animals.

Lambert was irresistibly drawn to him, and the family adopted the 4-year-old, who had previously spent his life on the streets and was once labeled by a shelter in West Virginia as “unadoptable.”

Months later, the Lamberts are hailing Edgar as a hero for scaring off a a man who police say was looking for a child to abduct when he broke into the Lamberts’ home in Franklin County through a first-floor window in the early hours of April 28.

Police arrested a suspect the next day who reportedly told investigators he had been trolling the neighborhood for weeks prior, looking for young unsupervised children.

But Edgar wasn’t about to let anything happen to the three little girls in his newfound home.

The Lambert family had arrived home about 1:20 a.m. Sunday April 28 after attending an out-of-town funeral. The Lambert parents carried their three girls to bed and then quickly fell asleep themselves, with Edgar in their room, where he normally slept.

About two hours later, Edgar, normally a pretty laid-back dog, “started losing his mind,” Thom Lambert said. “It was pure rage.”

And Edgar wouldn’t stop, even when Thom Lambert tried to calm him down.

That’s when Thom Lambert heard footsteps scurrying across his kitchen floor downstairs. Thom Lambert bolted downstairs to see a window and his kitchen door open. They were both locked when the Lamberts went to bed. They had made sure of it because they were aware of the abduction of 4-year-old Gemma Moats from their small township just a few nights prior.

When Thom Lambert saw the door open, just like the door was left open at Gemma’s house after she was abducted, his heart sank. He grabbed two kitchen knives and darted back upstairs to check his girls’ bedrooms.

They were still safely tucked in bed. He shepherded the girls into his room with his wife. He handed his wife a knife and went back downstairs.

When Thom explained to police how Edgar had gone nuts, barking and growling, the police had a hard time believing him, he said.

“Edgar was just there on the floor sleeping while the cops were clearing the house with their guns drawn,” Thom Lambert said. “And the cops are like, so this is the dog that you’re saying went nuts?”

Thom Lambert believes Edgar fell back asleep because he knew his work was done.

One of the most damaging comments about the ordeal was how the suspect tried to portray himself to police as if he was “saving” children from “deplorable conditions,” Thom Lambert said.

Dewald told investigators he took Gemma because of the poor condition of her home, but left the Lamberts’ children because their home was “acceptable,” according to court records.

“But we all know that’s complete B.S.,” Thom Lambert said. “Bounding a little girl with tape and locking her in a wooden box? Those are supposed to be good living conditions? He can say what he wants but we know he came to our house to take one of our kids and he got run off by our dog. That’s what I’d like the focus to be on right now, the fact that our really awesome dog saved our girls.”

Police charged the suspect, Thomas Dewald, 20, in connection with the abduction of a 4-year-old girl from her bed in the same area April 25.

I would not trade my adorable fur-children for anything.. they were literally someone else’s dump to die stories... I understand loving something deemed unadoptable.. sometimes they are easier to accept and love more than humans ;)

Last edited:
Edgar, you are a VERY good boy and you deserve all the ear skritches and love I'm sure you're getting from your appreciative new family.

Keep up the good guard dog work, sweetheart.
@everjaded .. I love the fact that he was like job done .. guy gone .. dad up and panicking .. kids safe .. damn I am tired .. you got this - cool .. nap time .. cops hmmm they smell safe enough .. carry on :joyful:

i'll take my Sarge's opinion of someone's character quicker than I'll take a human's, He doesn't have an agenda, he can only tell the truth. Well sometimes he tells stories, he likes to pretend he's cripple to get attention And it works generally.

i'll take my Sarge's opinion of someone's character quicker than I'll take a human's, He doesn't have an agenda, he can only tell the truth. Well sometimes he tells stories, he likes to pretend he's cripple to get attention And it works generally.
@cubby stories for extra attention snuggles and treats and to sleep in mom’s bed!

Nope, he is too too big for that Australian Shepherd mix, he'll crawl on his belly, dragging his back legs and whine like he's in pain and everybody who's never seen it before thinks his leg is broke. But if the other dogs outside bark at something, he's up and out to bark too! He's hilarious! He'll limp too, all he wants is a treat and few belly rubs and he's good as new.

Anybody who wants a smart, loving and very protective dog, an Aussie is a great choice. But remember they are very SMART!

I'm probably dating myself here . . .

I read an interview with I believe Catfish Hunter, who told a story about a dog he knew. Some kind of hound that would just lay in the shade and watch people come and go, even if the boss wasn't home. People could walk in and out of the barn or the house, and that dog would lay there and watch.

Until.

Until that person walked out with something in his or her hands.

Dog would go, "Nope, you ain't leaving with that so put it down." And when they did he would go back under his tree and lay back down.

That dog knew what was important.

--Al

Back