• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Hat tip to ghosttruck!

[....]
A remarkable photo of a fox battling a marmot in the remote Qilian mountains of China has won the top award in the prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition.

The image, captured by Yongqing Bao, shows the Tibetan fox attacking the terrified Himalayan marmot. Dubbed “The Moment,” the photo clinched the grand title in the competition, which saw 48,000 entries received from 100 countries.
[....]
“Photographically, it is quite simply the perfect moment. The expressive intensity of the postures holds you transfixed, and the thread of energy between the raised paws seems to hold the protagonists in perfect balance,” said Roz Kidman Cox, chair of the judging panel, in a statement. “Images from the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau are rare enough, but to have captured such a powerful interaction between a Tibetan fox and a marmot -- two species key to the ecology of this high-grassland region -- is extraordinary.”
full

The female fox was hunting to keep her three cubs alive when she pounced on the marmot, according to the museum. Yongqing Bao captured the marmot’s final moments, as the unfortunate rodent was killed by the fox, according to the BBC.

The Natural History Museum notes that, while Tibetan foxes are not hunted or persecuted, their prey is. “The foxes are dependent on a small mammal known as the plateau pika, a species which has been subject to eradication attempts,” it said, in its statement. “If the pikas are wiped out, the foxes will be quick to follow.”
[....]

I had a lot of fun this morning. Mice got into a 4 foot square bin filled with bags of grain. Ronnie The Rat Terrier jumped in and killed a dozen, which I tossed to the ducks. Ducks will eat anything, they are the raccoon of waterfowl.
It definitely wasn't very photogenic, but we did good work.

@LFODBiker Same here!

One thing I liked about NYC was hanging with the various neighborhood groups of Terrier owners when they'd get together at night and go ratting. Those dogs would have an absolute blast!

Back