• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

staysblazed_xo

♥ ⁴²⁰ queen ♥
"Former NFL defensive lineman Justin Bannan is sitting in a Colorado jail, on charges of suspicion of attempted first-degree murder.

According to Mitchell Byars of the Boulder Daily Camera, Bannan was arrested on a number of charges, including first-degree assault and first-degree burglary after the shooting of a woman.

The 40-year-old Bannan played 12 years in the league, with the Bills, Ravens, Broncos, Rams, and Lions.

According to Boulder police, the woman was shot and transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Police believe the woman and the alleged shooter know each other, but aren’t clear what led to the shooting."

L I N K !!

DRD1d.jpg

Former NFL defensive lineman Justin Bannan was sentenced Thursday to 16 years in state prison after shooting a Colorado woman in a bizarre 2019 incident.
[....]
Bannan was facing up to 48 years in prison under Colorado law. The probation department sought a sentence of 32 years, and prosecutors requested 26.

The victim, Ashley Marie, asked that Bannan receive the minimum mandatory sentence of 16 years, which is what he ultimately received.

"I strongly believe in forgiveness, rehabilitation, and restorative justice," Marie said in a statement read at the sentencing hearing by her attorney, Stewart Cables.

"While Mr. Bannan's actions have caused me deep and long-term damages, I do not believe he targeted me personally and I believe his judgment was severely hindered by drugs, alcohol and a myriad of football injuries."

Bannan played for five teams over the course of his 12-year NFL career, including the Baltimore Ravens and Denver Broncos. At trial, he pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, citing the effects of head injuries from his NFL career, among other things.

Prosecutors, meanwhile, argued that Bannan was voluntarily intoxicated at the time of the shooting – and that his abuse of illicit drugs and prescription stimulants led to the paranoia he experienced that day.
[....]
"As noted by the judge in court, the defendant still fails to accept full responsibility for his drug abuse leading to the attempted murder of the victim in this case."

Bannan's lawyer, Harvey Steinberg, told USA TODAY Sports in a phone interview that he found it "totally inappropriate" for Van Nice's team to seek a 26-year sentence. He also commended Marie for understanding that "the way to heal is forgive."

"He feels tremendous remorse for what occurred," Steinberg said. "He accepts responsibility. And (he) knew that under Colorado law, he had to face a minimum of 16 years."

Steinberg also said he will file an appeal of Bannan's verdict within the next month.

"I think that if we prevail on the appeal, then certain matters we felt should have been introduced to the jury, that were excluded, may well make a difference," he said.
[....]
Bannan's sentencing hearing was originally scheduled for Nov. 5 but delayed multiple times, most recently because of COVID-19 issues. His lawyers requested one postponement after a member of his legal team tested positive for COVID-19, then a second postponement after Bannan himself tested positive in jail.

Bannan expressed remorse at the hearing before being transported to prison, apologizing to both Marie and the community of Boulder, where he starred at the University of Colorado before entering the NFL.

Back