• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
full

Former longtime St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Jack Strain – for months the subject of a federal corruption probe and state investigation into alleged sex crimes against juveniles – has been booked on charges of rape and incest, District Attorney Warren Montgomery announced Tuesday (June 11) at a hastily-called news conference.

Strain – who served as police chief in Abita Springs before winning election as sheriff and holding onto that job for 20 years through June 2016 - was arrested by Louisiana State Police on Tuesday morning and arrived at the St. Tammany Parish jail in Covington later in the day. He was charged in a grand jury indictment with two counts of aggravated rape, two counts of aggravated incest, indecent behavior with a juvenile and sexual battery, Montgomery’s office said.

He was being held in the parish jail in lieu of $400,000 bond on Tuesday afternoon.

The former sheriff, 56, is accused of committing sex crimes against four different victims, including two under the age of 12, according to the indictment. Strain attorney Billy Gibbens was not immediately available for comment Tuesday afternoon.

Strain is accused of committing aggravated rape against one victim between June 1, 1979, and July 19, 1980, and against another victim between Jan. 1, 1975, and Sept. 8, 1981, the indictment shows. Strain would have been 12 years old in January 1975.

The former sheriff is accused of committing aggravated incest on a third victim and committing indecent behavior with the same victim, all between April 1, 1996, and July 1, 2002. In addition, he is accused of committing aggravated incest and sexual battery against a fourth victim on or about June 1, 2004.

Montgomery said his office was presented with evidence in the fall of 2017 by Louisiana State Police, the FBI and the IRS that Strain had engaged in sex crimes. Over the next 18 months, his office conducted an investigation that also included the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, leading to Tuesday’s grand jury indictment in Covington.

“Mr. Strain deserves a speedy trial by an impartial jury, and I will make sure he is given a fair trial,” said Montgomery, who did not take questions from reporters at the news conference on the steps of the parish courthouse in Covington.

Shortly after the news conference, Sheriff Randy Smith, who defeated Strain in the 2015 election, issued a statement, saying the allegations are “disgraceful and shocking.”

A source with direct knowledge of one of the cases confirmed to NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune in December that the North Shore district attorney’s office was investigating claims of sexual abuse involving Strain. The source, who asked for anonymity in order to publicly discuss the case, said the investigation also was probing allegations involving four to five alleged victims and that some of the alleged abuse dates back to before Strain became sheriff in 1996.

Louisiana State Police said it concluded its investigation into the sex crime allegations in January.

The investigation of alleged sexual abuse involving Strain first surfaced publicly in December reports by WWL-TV and The New Orleans Advocate.

The Advocate quoted unnamed sources as saying the people who claimed to have been abused by Strain were teens when the alleged abuse occurred, the report said.

Oh wonderful another pervert that had it so encapsulated that he felt entitled to be out determining how other people should be living their lives and enforcing laws that only apply to everybody else and never to him.

Fuck him. Fuck him sideways. Fuck him so hard his eyes blow out of his skull. Fuck him with a jackhammer. Fuck the back of his skull with a sledgehammer. Fuck him like a freight train hitting a tunnel in a mountain. No punishment is enough for a prick like this.

And you know you just know he's going to get a slap on the wrist and fucking skate. Unacceptable put him into Cell Block C with some of the worst angriest maniacal murdering animals on the planet. Then tell them Bon Appetit our gift to you!

This is the reality of why some people never come forward .. the people who took oath to protect me were related to, bought product from, or moved product for the man who molested me .. I was old enough to realize that it was my family’s life I was playing with by talking or holding the silence .. with time he got himself killed (thank you to the universe) and with time all of our lives changed in monumental ways .. it would amaze you how many people who cannot come forward because of people in key positions in their lives or loved ones lives..

Oh wonderful another pervert that had it so encapsulated that he felt entitled to be out determining how other people should be living their lives and enforcing laws that only apply to everybody else and never to him.

Fuck him. Fuck him sideways. Fuck him so hard his eyes blow out of his skull. Fuck him with a jackhammer. Fuck the back of his skull with a sledgehammer. Fuck him like a freight train hitting a tunnel in a mountain. No punishment is enough for a prick like this.

And you know you just know he's going to get a slap on the wrist and fucking skate. Unacceptable put him into Cell Block C with some of the worst angriest maniacal murdering animals on the planet. Then tell them Bon Appetit our gift to you!
Maybe not. He’s been a ordinary citizen for a while now. But he’ll likely be under 23 hour lockdown for his own safety. Which is unfortunate.

ST. TAMMANY PARISH, La. (WVUE) - Former St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Jack Strain was sentenced to serve the rest of his life in prison after being found guilty of rape and incest.

Strain was convicted in November on four counts of aggravated rape, two counts of aggravated incest, one count of indecent behavior with a juvenile, and one count of sexual battery.

In an emotional morning at court, Strain was sentenced on Feb. 22 to four life sentences without parole on the aggravated rape charges, 15 years and a $15,000 fine on each of the aggravated incest charges, five years for indecent behavior with a juvenile, and five years for sexual battery.

A former sheriff of 20 years, Strain was in an orange prison jumpsuit and shackles as boyhood friend and rape victim Mark Finn unloaded for 30 minutes, calling him a predator, a monster, and a pervert.
[....]
Finn’s mother, Patricia, looked directly at the man accused of raping her son and testified as well about the destruction caused by Strain’s sex abuse.

Strain was given the opportunity to testify but he did not. His attorneys say they will appeal.

Following the multiple life sentences, she said she was relieved.

“I’m a momma. I should have known,” she told reporters outside of the courthouse. “But I swear to god I didn’t. Because I knew this man since he was 10 years old and I would have never thought.”

Prosecutors say Strain will likely spend the rest of his life in state prison, even though he’s also been convicted of federal charges related to a halfway house kickback scheme.

Five victims, some of them relatives, testified at trial last fall, sounding similar themes of looking up to Strain as an older brother or father figure and having their trust betrayed when he molested or raped them in tents, campers, and in his bedroom. The sexual abuse continued into adulthood in many cases.

The jury came in with a verdict after nearly five hours of deliberations at the end of a trial that lasted two full weeks.

It would be great if those in law enforcement would get stiffer punishments for such crimes (although I know that that would not be of greatest social "equity" if so). Because not only are these people the ones who hold citizens to legal standards, but they also have a higher personal (and legal) standard assumed of them. Nobody has any excuses for crimes like this, but especially not lawmen, particularly sheriffs. What was this predator thinking?

Back