• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
This afternoon, Michael Drejka will appear in Pinellas County Court for a pretrial hearing. His trial date is set for August 19.

During today’s hearing, the judge is expected to rule on whether jurors can be shown the surveillance video inside the Circle A Food Store. It shows Markeis McGlockton collapsing in front of his son after being shot outside.

The judge is also expected to make a decision on whether the prosecution can show jurors the video outside the store frame by frame before the shooting occurs.

(CNN)The Florida man who fatally shot an unarmed black man last summer outside a grocery store, sparking a nationwide debate on the state's "stand your ground" law, is set to go on trial Monday for manslaughter.
[....]
After the shooting, Drejka was cooperative with police and had a valid Florida concealed weapons license, police said. And although he started the argument and escalated the encounter with a gun, he was not initially arrested in the killing because the Pinellas County Sheriff said the state's "stand your ground" law appeared to give him immunity.

"He felt, after being slammed to the ground, that the next thing was that he was going to be further attacked by McGlockton," Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said at the time.

A month later, though, the state attorney charged Drejka with manslaughter. He pleaded not guilty and was released from jail on $100,000 bail last September.

The trial is likely to hinge on Drejka's expected self-defense argument. In a jailhouse interview with WTSP last September, Drejka said he was "very scared" during the incident with McGlockton.

"I've never been confronted like that, never been assaulted like that, if you will, ever," Drejka said.

Jury selection in his trial starts on Monday. A defense attorney for Drejka did not respond to a requests for comment on Sunday afternoon.

(CNN)After he shot an unarmed black man outside a convenience store in Florida, Michael Drejka told police that he only fired after the man shoved him to the ground and then ran at him.

But surveillance video of the shooting contradicts him and shows the man, Markeis McGlockton, taking several steps back in the moments before the fatal shot -- a point police have challenged Drejka on.

"What happens if I told you that I looked at the video and at no time and point does he come running up toward you. He actually takes a step back," the officer, Det. Richard Redman, says in an interview with Drejka on the day of the shooting last year.

"I would disagree," Drejka responded.

Video of that police interview, including Drejka's reenactment of the shooting, played in court Thursday as part of Drejka's manslaughter trial for killing McGlockton last July 19 in Clearwater, Florida. His attorney said the killing was in self-defense after Drejka was threatened and then shoved to the ground.
[....]
In opening statements, defense attorney Bryant Camareno argued that Drejka's comments to police were simply his best recollection of what happened and showed his perception at the time.

"He wasn't lying, he was remembering the best that he could from the impact that he sustained," Camareno said.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri initially declined to arrest Drejka, citing Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law, which allows people to respond to threats or force without fear of criminal prosecution. But a month later, the state attorney charged Drejka, 49, with manslaughter.
[....]
Drejka's attorneys are no longer arguing that he should be immune to prosecution because of "stand your ground," but Drejka mentioned the law at the end of his interview with police.

"(Unclear) the 'stand your ground' thing, and I did exactly what I thought I was supposed to be doing at that time considering what was happening to myself," he said.

In the police interview, Drejka got down on the ground to reenact the moments of the fatal shooting. He said that he was shoved from the side and thought McGlockton was going to start kicking him and beating him.

"If he was going to hit me that hard to begin with, a blind side from the get-go, what else should I expect?" Drejka said.

Police questioned him several times on the discrepancy between the video and his statements that McGlockton took steps toward him.

"That is exactly what I saw," Drejka insisted.

@Satanica
The man who fatally shot Markeis McGlockton in a controversial “stand your ground case” was found guilty by a jury Friday night, and McGlockton’s family says they can now begin to heal.

After six hours of deliberation, a jury found Michael Drejka guilty of manslaughter for shooting unarmed McGlockton in Florida last summer over a handicapped-accessible parking space.

“It’s been well over a year since we’ve been dealing with this matter, and I can safely say my family can rest now,” McGlockton’s father, Michael McGlockton, told reporters. “Now we can start putting the pieces back together and move on.”

Drejka argued that the incident was a justifiable homicide according to Florida’s “stand your ground” law, a claim that renewed a national debate on the controversial law.

@Satanica
A Florida man who was found guilty of manslaughter in the fatal shooting of an unarmed man during a dispute over a handicapped parking space in Florida last year was sentenced to 20 years in prison Thursday.

Michael Drejka, who fatally shot Markeis McGlockton, 28, outside of a Clearwater convenience store in July 2018, was found guilty of manslaughter in August.

Drejka had approached McGlockton's car to see if it had the correct decal for a handicapped space and subsequently got in an argument with McGlockton's girlfriend, Britany Jacobs, who was in the car with two of their children.

When McGlockton came out of the store and saw what was going on, he shoved Drejka to the ground, surveillance footage showed. Drejka then pulled out his gun and shot McGlockton, the footage showed.

McGlockton was unarmed, and video surveillance and autopsy results indicated he was turning away from Drejka when he was shot.

Prosecutors said that Drejka started the altercation by confronting Jacobs because she was parked with her children in the handicapped space. They said Drejka had no reason to fire as McGlockton was retreating.

I remember seeing the video and initially thought he didn't have to shoot him but I really think the audio in this would be interesting,and after looking at the mugshot he kind of looks like the I'm itching to shoot someone kind of guy. A parking space dispute is no reason to die or kill,be a passive aggressive and call the cops then sit in your car rubbing your hands like mr Smithers while watching a hefty ticket get handed out.

Keep your fucking hands to yourself. Don't act like shit and your chances of survival sky rocket. Dude put his hands on the wrong motherfucker. Pure and simple....

I don't carry a gun. I don't act like shit and I don't put my hands on anyone unless my intentions are violent. You fucking touch me or mine unwarranted? I've always got a razor sharp piece of steel on me. It comes out quick and you are gonna be full of holes before you realize I am stabbing you up.
Post automatically merged:

To be clear...Never hurt another human over something as trivial as a parking space or words. As soon as you you push, punch, pull or poke someone? It's a fight for survival.....
Post automatically merged:

In fact? Don't violently touch a living ANYTHING in my presence. Or I'm gonna touch you just a bit harder.

Last edited:
A white man who was found guilty of manslaughter in the shooting death of an unarmed black man during a parking lot dispute in 2018 was attacked in prison Tuesday.

He suffered a head injury after being hit with a sock holding a metal lock and has been separated from fellow prisoners as officials decide whether to transfer him to protective custody, his lawyer said.

Michael Drejka, 49, is serving 20 years at the Lancaster Correctional Institution in north Florida after fatally shooting unarmed 28-year-old Markeis McGlockton in front of his family in a dispute over a disabled parking space in July 2018.

On Tuesday shortly after 12.30pm, Drejka was reportedly hit over the head with the metal object by a fellow inmate sustaining a head injury that required five stitches, defense attorney Bryant Camareno told The Associated Press.

Drejka's wife told his attorneys about the injuries and that he is now living in fear. Camareno said his client had the impression that he was targeted by someone.

'No one deserves to be treated like that,' Camareno told Fox 13 News.

'The Constitution demands that inmates be protected and so we're not necessarily pointing the fingers at anyone just yet. But it's very important that all inmates, regardless of what they've been convicted of, be protected. They're afforded that right: freedom from cruel and unusual punishment.'

The Florida Department of Corrections released a brief description of the incident on Wednesday in which they confirmed that Drejka was examined by medical staff and the incident is being investigated.

'At this time, Drejka is in administrative confinement separate from the general population, pending protective management review,' the statement said, adding that 'the situation was brought under control by institution security staff'.

The other inmate involved in the attack has not been identified and the department revealed no information about Drejka's injuries saying they were protected by law.

So, if you want to see a prime example of "don't talk to the cops" aka "talking your way into a felony charge", this is the interrogation breakdown for you. Not that he wasn't pretty much screwed by the surveillance cam video, 'cause it was clearly a bad shooting, but this interrogation pretty much guarantees that any jury will convict him.

Also shows what a cop-wanna be he is, and how it was just a matter of time before he shot someone.

Latest posts

Back