• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ghosttruck

Level 57 Taco Wizard
1571060026507.png

A woman from Naples reportedly had her arm and foot severed when she was hit by an airplane propeller on Saturday, according to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.

The sheriff's office says it happened at 8:45 p.m. at Key West International Airport.

According to authorities, initial reports indicate the pilot and female passenger were preparing to taxi in a private plane when the plane wouldn't move, or was having some kind of unknown mechanical issue.

The sheriff's office says the pilot exited the airplane while it was still running to see if the blocks that keep it stationary on the tarmac were still in place.

The passenger also got out and walked to the front of the airplane, where she was hit by the propeller, according to the sheriff's office.

A crew with the Key West Fire Department transported the woman to the Lower Keys Medical Center. She was then airlifted to Ryder Trauma Center in Miami in stable condition, authorities say.

The sheriff's office says Florida Highway Patrol is handling the investigation. The woman's condition on Sunday was not immediately available.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had such a case here. I would've thought folks would know better. The pilot did try to warn Lauren.

With little memory of the accident, she explained: 'My dad actually went to look at the plane. I was always taught to get out in front of the wing, but when you do that [with this kind of plane] you're basically on the propeller. So I think I basically just got out onto it.'

The sheriff's office says the pilot exited the airplane while it was still running to see if the blocks that keep it stationary on the tarmac were still in place.

They are called, "chocks", ABC News. Not blocks. When you "corrected" the "misspelling", you broke it. At any rate, the chocks are the suspenders portion of the "belt plus suspenders" approach to keeping an unattended airplane from rolling away from parking. The belt is an actual length of wire rope that connects between a tie-down point on the airframe and a tie down embedded in the ground.

The passenger also got out and walked to the front of the airplane, where she was hit by the propeller, according to the sheriff's office.

Pity's sake, why?

--Al
Flung some chocks. Jumped a couple too.

Latest posts

Back