• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!

A combination of cocaine and toxic pufferfish liver sent a Florida man to the emergency room, according to a new case report.

The liver from a pufferfish, also known as fugu, is considered a delicacy in Japan. But eating it is risky, as the fish's liver contains a high concentration of a deadly poison known as tetrodotoxin (TTX), which causes paralysis if ingested.

"Pufferfish is something that you don't want to just catch and eat," said Dr. Zane Horowitz, medical director at the Oregon Poison Center at Oregon Health Science University, who was not involved with the man's case. "There are chefs in Japan who go through years of training on how to properly prepare this so that they don't kill their customers."

Full Story:

Homemade fugu platter. What a moron.

In Japan, death after eating fugu was common enough that they didn't bury people who died from it for several days (until the started to stink) because sometimes people who "died" from eating it weren't really dead, and would wake up after the paralyzing effects wore off in a few days.

The article mentions that it's unknown how the man obtained the pufferfish, and mentions that it could possibly have been purchased from "black market" fish sellers...
Seriously?
This is Florida, you can catch the damn things off the Gulf and Atlantic coasts all day long, FFS.
Even moderately experienced sports fishermen know to just cut your line and give a kiss into the winds for the lost tackle when you reel one of these ugly bastards in, because the most common ones caught here have spiky protrusions that will prick the hell out of your skin, and as small amounts of the TTX have been found on the skin and on/in the spikes of the fish, they could poison you just by trying to handle them.

Ya wanna eat fugu sashimi?
Then find a restaurant that is licensed to serve it - there are about 17 in the US, most of them are in NY, there are none in Florida. Take your credit cards or some serious cash with you, as it's usually well over $200.00 per properly prepared and prettily presented plate full of a single fish's flesh.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ya wanna eat fugu sashimi?
Then find a restaurant that is licensed to serve it - there are about 17 in the US, most of them are in NY, there are none in Florida. Take your credit cards or some serious cash with you, as it's usually well over $200.00 per properly prepared and prettily presented plate full of a single fish's flesh.
:rolleyes:

A friend of mine tried it while in Japan. He said it wasn't even that tasty, mostly just very bland. So it's not even super delicious, just a daring novelty where you can flirt with death. That said, I would be willing to give it a try if someone else was treating.

A friend of mine tried it while in Japan. He said it wasn't even that tasty, mostly just very bland. So it's not even super delicious, just a daring novelty where you can flirt with death. That said, I would be willing to give it a try if someone else was treating.

Yeah, it's the specialized dipping sauces that give it any real flavor, and the only real taste experience from the dish is the mild tingling one feels in the mouth and sometimes a slight sense of euphoria
I'd try it too, if I were in Japan (for enjoying the full experience and culture of the dish), and splitting the tab with several people - it's usually served there with the very thin slices plated for display in the shape of a flower, and is enough to easily serve 3-5 people as an appetizer, people seldom order it as an entree for one person.

Back