• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
He has scratches down his face. Little ones. Looks like Phoebe got him one. Good for her.

Thank you, Nell.

I just found this thread, and read from the start, plus all the links. I was in a dark place by the time i read your post. You put some light back in.

Small potatoes but I hope they change the name of that bridge. This story, just like the others on here, infuriate me! God, just give me 5 mins with a chomo or abuser, I have a lot of rage to let loose and no body better to unleash it upon!

imageprocessor

Anger mixed with heartbreak Wednesday as more than 150 mourners packed the funeral service for the 5-year-old Florida girl who was unexplainably thrown from a bridge last week, allegedly by her own dad.

Phoebe Jonchuck's tear-stained mother, Michelle Kerr, had asked the congregation to wear bright colors to the funeral, consequently filling the Tampa church with muliticolored balloons and a rainbow of outfits.

The young, trembling mother was seen helped to the side of her youngest daughter's white casket by her boyfriend after exchanging hugs and greetings with those in attendance, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

"There needs to be a lot of forgiveness here today," said Pastor Brent Byerman, who led the service, according to the Times. "Not only forgiveness for the person who took Phoebe's life, but also for ourselves and everyone who may have let this girl down."

A man seated in the back of Lake Magdalene United Methodist Church reportedly twice interrupted the service and had to be removed after shouting out that he wanted to kill the girl's father.

John Jonchuck, the 25-year-old accused of dropping the child from a St. Petersburg bridge after picking her up from a church daycare, remained jailed for first-degree murder and unable to attend
[...]
While emotionally speaking to reporters after Wednesday's funeral service she maintained that her son "adored" his daughter, leaving her with no understanding of why he did what he did that horrible morning.

"But I have to forgive him," he said while cradling her granddaughter's favorite doll and a photo of her.

"I'll never go to heaven if I don't forgive him," she said.
http://m.nydailynews.com/news/natio...dly-thrown-bridge-laid-rest-article-1.2078257
imageprocessor

Last edited:
While emotionally speaking to reporters after Wednesday's funeral service she maintained that her son "adored" his daughter, leaving her with no understanding of why he did what he did that horrible morning.

"But I have to forgive him," he said while cradling her granddaughter's favorite doll and a photo of her.

"I'll never go to heaven if I don't forgive him," she said.

:( *heart broken*

She was such a beautiful little girl. :(
Phoebe-Jonchuck-319x350.jpg

Damn. She could by my little girl's sister. Probably never had her hair cut, we've never cut my daughter's and it looks just like this. That tortures me, knowing all those nights mom combed out her hair . . .

I was expecting that. Its really unfortunate there wasn't intervention to save this little girl in time.

This cunt deserves not just to be fired but to be charged: proven the jerkoffs attorney called child abuse hotline claiming Jonchuck was a danger to his daughter. bitch operator did not report it to authorities claiming she didn't feel child was in danger
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...s-on-_0_n_6648020.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular
'
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Just 12 hours before police say a man threw his 5-year-old daughter to her death off a Tampa Bay bridge last month, his own attorney called Florida's child abuse hotline, warning that his client was suffering from mental delusions. But the hotline operator didn't refer the call to investigators because she didn't think the child was in danger, according to documents released by Florida child welfare officials Monday.

One week earlier, another worried caller told the Department of Children and Families that Jonchuck's daughter Phoebe had been physically abused in the past. But that call also failed to get to DCF investigators because the operator hung up before she got John Jonchuck's address. Instead of calling back, she simply closed the case, according to the state's investigation.

The lapses have cast the already troubled DCF in a harsh spotlight, prompting new Secretary Mike Carroll to change hotline protocol. Going forward, if a caregiver seems to be experiencing a psychotic episode, a child protective investigator will be required to visit within four hours.'...............
'

My pure rage has rendered me speechless. All I can think of is what this baby thought and felt. My empathy for this baby's trauma, has exploded my heart.

Of course DCF "dropped the ball." It's all these fuckers EVER do! All of them need to be replaced by people who genuinely care for children, not see it as some 9 to 5 paper-pushing job.

i just..she knows what she raised. and she either knew he was batshit or just chose to not believe it.

I disagree. He was 25 yrs old, perfect age to lose your shit. Onset of Schizophrenia perhaps.

According to the DSM-5, “The peak age at onset for the first psychotic episode is in the early- to mid-20s for males
From http://psychcentral.com/blog/archiv...hrenia-usually-strikes-first-in-young-adults/

The way his mom knows he did it but cannot understand why, I believe her. He went fucking nuts, she in no way knew this could or would happen in my opinion. My heart breaks for all involved and especially poor little Phoebe.

John Nicholas Jonchuck Jr. , 26, is in a state mental institution. Psychiatrists say he is not fit to stand trial.
johnjonchuck.jpg

John Jonchuck Jr., 26
He must be crazy to have killed his own child. It’s the only thing that makes sense.

But few who knew him believe it.

Family and friends say he’s a con artist. A manipulative, vindictive, violent man who alienated people who cared about him. Who forged checks and faked falls and believed in demons, but not in God.

He was a schemer who used the courts for profit and revenge. He was a paranoid, angry meth addict who had been arrested for battery and domestic violence seven times. He had been involuntarily committed, by his family’s count, 27 times.

And yet, in its report on Phoebe’s death, the Florida Department of Children and Families concluded, “There was nothing in the preceding several years that could have reasonably been interpreted as predictive of such an event.”
phoebejonchuck.jpg

Phoebe Jade Jonchuck, 5

From @araisner's link

Holy cow, this child was failed by so many people you just can't count them.

Last edited:
The level of fear this girl had over water was extreme - she didn't even want to bath. I wonder if the little girl was terrified of water because her father previously did something to her during another psychotic episode. Like trying to drown her in the tub?
Also, her mother shows an astounding self deception thinking he would never harm the child despite his violent and vindictive background. No matter how much he loved his little girl, no matter how much he may have wanted to protect her in lucid moments, his overwhelming mental problems and addictions prevented him from being a good father.

John Nicholas Jonchuck Jr. - 26- He had been involuntarily committed, by his family’s count, 27 times.

Holy Shit! And ANYONE thought if was a good idea that this guy was her main parental caregiver!?! Mom needs to be charged for stupidity and her children taken away- obviously she can't figure out the SAFETY part. NEXT we will be reading about the death of her other children by her DOTM! :bored:

I don't think she had any choice in this, the courts gave him custody and he wouldn't allow her to see her. If all the calls and complaints to CPS didn't get anything changed I don't see how she could have changed it all by herself. All I know about MS is a friend that has it and I'm not sure I would trust her to try to raise a small child, not because she would do anything on purpose but because she's not really capapble of taking care of a small child. Maybe the mother could have done something but I don't think it would have changed anything.

Family and friends say he’s a con artist. A manipulative, vindictive, violent man who alienated people who cared about him. Who forged checks and faked falls and believed in demons, but not in God.
He was a schemer who used the courts for profit and revenge. He was a paranoid, angry meth addict who had been arrested for battery and domestic violence seven times. He had been involuntarily committed, by his family’s count, 27 times.

Well that certainly changes some things for me. Maybe it's not schizophrenia and just good old fashioned asshole, piece of shit, sociopathness?

In reading all this though I have to wonder who was in his life besides his lawyer in the hours leading up to Phoebe's death? Why did no one intervene? I know in my family if you're acting fucking nuts, we're taking the kids.

If you've been involuntarily committed 27 fucking times, you should be in long term psych care already.
So much fail.
DCFS failed.
DHH failed.
Hospitals failed.
Judges failed.
The family failed.

Anybody that had anything to do with this case failed, and Phoebe had to pay for it with her life.

I'm just shaking my fucking head.

I'm leaving in 10 minutes to drive over this bridge...

Sadly it's quite beautiful and so many awful things like this happen there :(
I impound at least 10 cars a year off this bridge from murders and suicides. :shrug:

.... now that I think about it last year we got all suicides ... fuckin crazy.

Last edited:
Of course DCF "dropped the ball." It's all these fuckers EVER do! All of them need to be replaced by people who genuinely care for children, not see it as some 9 to 5 paper-pushing job.

It does start feeling that way after awhile, doesn't it? But, that's just the nature of beast in this genre (true crime). It rarely makes the news when DCF gets it right. ;)

Do we know if that's actually ever happened??

Seriously? Are you asking ME that? :hilarious: :finger:, Rod. Just :finger: very much. YES. IT DOES happen. :p ;) <3

Edit: @rod2pop - You know I'm referring to myself as a product of that DCF system, too, right? DCF saved my life and I'm nobody special. My kidhood was a D'D story, except I lived, and so do others.

All I'm saying is that D'D is where DCF fails shine, they're the stars of our show by design. The millions of "kids like me" that have gone through that same broken down system with those same broken social workers most of them doing their dead level best to do a thankless job in a thankless environment get no love here. Why? Because they don't deserve it. But, that's the problem with blanket statements and allowing too much ugly in - we all get jaded and forget to pull back and check out the big picture. I've done it, too, and I have to remind myself I'm looking at the minority, not the majority here.

I recognize your frustration, it's 100% legit and I'll stand right beside you and howl to the moon about DCF fails, but don't let it getcha down thinking every case is a fail. If they help 7 out of 10 kids/families succeed, those 7 kids/families aren't going to make the FP here, only the ones who didn't succeed to the point an especially horrendous crime was committed by all the fails stacking up. Well, I mispoke. Let me restate that - their "successes" may show up here on the FP, at least once in a great while, but as a contributor, not a victim. :)

Last edited:
Well that certainly changes some things for me. Maybe it's not schizophrenia and just good old fashioned asshole, piece of shit, sociopathness?

In reading all this though I have to wonder who was in his life besides his lawyer in the hours leading up to Phoebe's death? Why did no one intervene? I know in my family if you're acting fucking nuts, we're taking the kids.
@Mata Hari and involuntarily committed 27 times!

Back