• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Body camera footage from a deadly officer-involved shooting has been released, giving insight into how an Appleton, Wisconsin firefighter was slain while attempting to provide care.

Last month, Appleton firefighter Mitch Lundgaard was fatally shot by 47-year-old Ruben Houston, who was being treated by medical personnel after he was found unresponsive on a bus and believed to have suffered an overdose.

Given Narcan and taken off the bus, Houston was not checked for possible weapons prior to treatment and refused to be patted down by officers once he was conscious.

Houston became agitated and pulled a .380-semi-automatic handgun.

He fired two shots, which hit Lundgaard and another officer. Lundgaard was shot in the back, fatally wounding him. The officer survived.

Other officers at the scene then returned fire as Houston took a woman hostage. The suspect used the woman as a human shield as he fired at police.

Houston was shot several times and later died at a hospital. The woman taken hostage was also shot in the head, but survived.

At the time of the shooting, Houston was free on bond pending drug charges in Fond du Lac County.

A total of 24 shots were fired during the 30-second exchange and Houston later succumbed to his wounds at a nearby hospital.

One day after body camera video was released, we're hearing from the wife and stepdaughter of the man who police say started a shootout on May 15 with Appleton police.

“I'm hurt because I don't have my husband no more and it's sad that a fireman don't have his life anymore, a police shot, a lady shot, it's sad,” said Tamatha Houston, Ruben Houston’s wife.

After seeing that body camera video, the family of Houston says officers were justified in their actions in the tragic shooting outside Appleton's transit center.

nvestigators concluded Houston shot and killed Appleton firefighter Mitch Lundgaard and wounded Officer Paul Christensen.

Houston died at the hospital that night, after being shot as officers returned fire.

A bystander, Brittany Schowalter, was also shot, and is recovering after spending weeks in the hospital.

“For a while I was mad because I thought they maliciously killed my husband,” said Tamatha Houston. “I really did, but when I seen the body cam and I seen everything that happened, I was at peace with it. I was at peace with it. They did their job.”

The Houstons were together for 25 years. Tamatha says Ruben cared for her four daughters like they were his own. She says her husband was not a monster, but battled a mental illness and was being treated for years of heroin use.

“He used drugs, I'm not ashamed to say it,” said Houston. “He used drugs, but that didn't make him a bad person. He still was a beautiful person inside and out.”

Houston says she's never seen the face her husband had on when paramedics were treating him for an apparent overdose, which can be seen in the body camera video. She says she also hasn't seen her husband act the way he did moments later when police asked to check him for weapons.

“That wasn't my husband,” said Houston. “I don't know who that was out there that day. It wasn't my husband.”

Tamatha Houston and her daughter say they want everyone to know they apologize to all the people involved in the tragedy and are especially thankful for the emergency personnel who cared for and tried to reason with Ruben.

“They did everything they possibly can to help him at that moment and time. I'm thankful for that,” said Lewis.

What a terrible event.
Piss poor choices, addiction, carrying a weapon while high.
Perfect storm of human suffering.

I get what Tamatha (stupid name) Houston is saying about her dead junkie criminal fuckup. Hard to see past his terrible actions that took and changed so many lives.
She does not need to apologize for him nor be explaining.

His actions spoke volumes. Let's get one thing right though. Good people don't kill good people trying to save their junkie, drug addled lives.
His last acts were that of a criminal asshole.
That is his legacy and what forever defines him.

Back