• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I'm fine with her being stored away in a mental hospital. The problem is that the mental hospital will let her out because she can care for herself. If she can care for herself, she should be held accountable and tried.
As long as she's not been tried, things are good. She WILL be tried when and held accountable when/if she's ever "restored". If they find her not guilty by mental illness, that's when they get sent off and released on society when "cured".

The really sad thing is that we are still no closer to knowing where little Gabriel is. All the legal messing around and nothing is accomplished toward finding him. I really hope somehow that she did give him away, but I can't help feeling that the reason she's reluctant to talk is that if she admits she killed him and threw him away, then it becomes real.

Trial in missing 'Baby Gabriel' case still months away

In another court maneuver and attempt to keep Elizabeth Johnson in check, a clinical liaison has been appointed to make sure the mother of missing “Baby Gabrielâ€￾ stays on her medication so she remains competent to stand trial.

Yet, the beginning of that trial, which was supposed to start early last month, remains at least seven months away.

Johnson, who has been charged with kidnapping, child abuse, and custodial interference, is scheduled now to go to trial in September.
[...]

The clinical liaison will monitor Johnson’s regimen of taking medication she is required to take as part of her competency stipulation, according to court records. Last September, Johnson was ruled incompetent to stand trial for the second time throughout the course of court proceedings, but in December, a psychiatrist ruled that she was fit to stand trial after she was mentally restored through counseling and medication. Johnson is believed to suffer from a bipolar condition, causing mood swings and inconsistency in her behavior, according to police reports and Johnson’s family members.
[...]

If convicted of the charges, Johnson can face anywhere from nine months in jail to 20 years in prison.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/cop_shop/article_927e6ef8-5f36-11e1-a7e9-001871e3ce6c.html

2 women about to face trial in baby Gabriel's disappearance
PHOENIX (CBS5) -
It's been more than two years and it's still unknown what happened to an 8-month-old Valley boy.
[...]
Johnson said she conspired to give her boy up for adoption with the help of another Valley woman, Tammi Smith.

Now, both women are just days away from facing trial for his disappearance.

According to a memorandum filed by her attorney, Smith's psychologist said she acts impulsively without reflection where children are involved.

In Arizona, that's not allowed to be used as an excuse for a crime but her attorney believes it helps explain why she would help Johnson escape the state with her son, Gabriel.

Smith said her plan was to adopt the boy without his father's knowledge but once Johnson drove across the state lines, the boy was never seen again.

"It's in her nature to feel compelled to help, because of her religious beliefs, again because of her family background. She feels compelled to help, particularly when she perceives a woman in trouble or child in trouble," said Smith's attorney, Anne Phillips.

According to the filing, Smith is easily manipulated in stressful situations, in part to a history of abuse from her father and first three husbands. Because of that history, her psychologist said she is naively and unrealistically trusting.

"Her character in general causes her to act a certain way. Not with criminal intent but more in a misguided attempt to help," said Phillips.

Prosecutors are trying to keep Smith's psych evaluation out of court and are expected to paint her as a woman obsessed who would do anything to adopt Gabriel.

Smith's attorney predictably disagrees.

"What I think happened is that Tammi, a good citizen, a good Samaritan, a law-abiding person, got involved with the wrong person and it spiraled out of control," said Phillips.
[...]
The trial is set to begin April 9, 2012
http://www.kpho.com/story/17299923/2-women-facing-trial-for-gabriels-disappearance

HLN reported this today, http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/04/16/trial-may-provide-answers-search-baby-gabriel?hpt=hp_t2

Tami Smith is going to trial for her part in Baby Gabriel's kidnapping and disappearance.

Some answers may surface Tuesday, when opening statements are expected in the trial of another woman, Tammi Smith. She's accused of helping Johnson try to wrangle custody of the boy from his father, in order to adopt the little boy herself. Smith is charged with forgery and conspiracy to commit custodial interference; she has pleaded not guilty and could face a sentence of six years if she's convicted.

Maybe we'll find something, maybe she has some answers. My heart will not believe he's dead. I have to believe the whore gave him away to spite Logan, and he's well, happy and loved. Yes, I live in la-la land, I like it here. No dead babies, no abused children, no rapists, no neglect, no pain, no tears.

This "mother" sounds to me like a narcissist that absolutely NEEDS people to kiss her ass in order to get what they want from her, but sadly narcissists NEVER give you anything. All they give is in order to GET something for them. THose who keep helping her are sadly caught under her web of lies & spell.

We'll never know where Gab is simply because it's something she can use to get attention & to hold over us. Only if age makes her age ungracefully & she can no longer use her looks to manipulate people making her narcissism "evaporate" might make her tell us. Then again, some narcissists once old DO become normal people, but some never do. It makes them sour, nasty & annoying people.

I'm sorry for Gabe... he might be alive though. Narcissists do like their money.

Listening to opening statements in Tami Smith's trial; lots of talking heads. Right now they're arguing about whether or not to allow a psychologist to testify not only to her state of mind, but also to her "personality traits". Judge will hear the arguments today outside of jury's hearing. Logan McQueary is on the stand. He's aged about 20 years. Defense atty says Tami will take the stand in her own defense.He's choking back tears.

I don't know if I'm tough enough to watch this; Logan is struggling to keep it together. this is beyond heartbreaking. I don't know how our Whisper can do this...cover trials like Tori Stafford, and not break down. I just want to go thru the screen and make it all better for that poor guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jurors in the trial of a would-be adoptive mother of an Arizona baby missing for more than two years heard a secretly recorded phone call Wednesday of the boy's biological mother saying she suffocated him and he turned blue.

In the recording, 25-year-old old Elizabeth Johnson is heard telling her on-and-off-again boyfriend and her baby's father, Logan McQueary, that she killed the child, put his body in a bag, and threw him in a trash can in San Antonio, Texas.

"I suffocated him and he turned blue,"
Johnson is heard saying on the tape. "That's when I put him in the bag and put him in the trash."

McQueary wiped away tears as the phone conversation that he secretly recorded on Dec. 27, 2009, was played for jurors in the Phoenix trial of 40-year-old Tammi Peters Smith of Scottsdale, who was trying to adopt baby Gabriel before Johnson took him to Texas.

Smith has pleaded not guilty to forgery and conspiracy to commit custodial interference. She is accused of lying on a court document about the possible paternity of the baby in an effort to keep Gabriel away from McQueary, who testified against Smith on Tuesday and Wednesday.
[...]

In opening statements Tuesday, prosecutors painted Smith as an "obsessed" woman who would stop at nothing to win custody of the boy, saying that while waiting to hear whether she could adopt Gabriel, she also approached another couple in line at a Jack in the Box and offered to adopt their baby.

"To the defendant, Gabriel Johnson was a thing to be desired — a prize, an object. She wanted a baby and she would go to any length to get one," prosecutor Elisa Ramunno told jurors.

Smith offered to adopt Gabriel from Johnson in June 2009 when the two met during a long layover in Boston's airport. Johnson didn't decide to take her up on it until six months later, the same month he disappeared.
[...]

Johnson told McQueary and a detective that she killed Gabriel but later recanted and said she gave the baby to a couple in San Antonio.

Gabriel has never been found and police still don't know whether he's alive or dead. He would have turned 3 years old this month.

Smith's defense attorney said her client is a hard-working mother and upstanding member of the community who was just trying to help a troubled Johnson and her baby.

She said that after Johnson took Gabriel to Texas, Smith did nothing but try her best to bring Gabriel home safely and that all she got in return was "character assassination" by police and FBI agents intent on bringing charges against her.

Smith plans to address jurors herself during the trial, expected to last through mid-May.
http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Claims-of-missing-Ariz-baby-s-mom-played-in-court-3492210.php

In the recording, 25-year-old old Elizabeth Johnson is heard telling her on-and-off-again boyfriend and her baby's father, Logan McQueary, that she killed the child, put his body in a bag, and threw him in a trash can in San Antonio, Texas.

"I suffocated him and he turned blue," Johnson is heard saying on the tape. "That's when I put him in the bag and put him in the trash."
I've always hoped that the lying bitch just wanted to hurt McQueary but when she first said these detail-- how he turned blue, well it just felt like this was the truth--one of the few truths. Being that it was secretly recorded phone call makes that much more likely.
My desperate feeling is of resignation that baby Gabriel is dead, dead and gone by this murdering cunt of a mother. I hate this woman to my core, a thousand times over the heat of the sun.

Have the trial, find her guilty as sin.
Death is too good. I hope she is left to fester and rot 'till her last dying, putrid breath.

Last edited:
I've been watching Tammi Smith's trial on In Session, and I'm learning all sorts of things that I didn't know or wasn't aware of since hearing about this case a couple of years ago.

After watching and listening, I'm inclined to believe that Elizabeth Johnson did not kill her baby boy. I believe that she got tired of ping-ponging back and forth with Logan (Gabe's dad) and the Smiths (especially Tammi who appeared to be desperate to take whatever measures she would have to take, legal or not, to get a baby, any baby.) Smith's daughter had already bonded with little Gabe and she thought she had more control with Elizabeth so Gabe would have been the easiest to get, in her mind. When Elizabeth backed away and ran with Gabe, she found that she didn't have as much control as she thought. She had advised Elizabeth to take Gabe and move to a different jurisdiction, which would make it easier for the adoption process. I've heard that it is so easy to adopt out your child in Texas, and that a woman can even put a child up for adoption without the father's consent. So, there was definitely a plan in her going to Texas.

In Texas, she stayed in a motel that is known as a meeting place for women with babies and couples or whoever is wanting to adopt or realistically, BUY, a baby. The park where Elizabeth said that she handed off Gabe to a couple is known as a place where the women meet the adoptive parents to finalize their deals. I guess they hand over money and she hands over the baby. I honestly think that Elizabeth did this b/c it made it all so much easier. She'd not have to deal with Logan and custody issues if she no longer had Gabe, and she wouldn't have Tammi Smith on her butt b/c she was desperate to adopt a baby.

Anyway, I think they've said that Elizabeth Johnson's (Gabe's mom) trial is to begin in September? I honestly hope that some sort of closure can come out of that for Logan and his family. I don't know about getting Gabriel back, b/c, let's face it, Elizabeth is not known for her stability. She might very well have killed her son so she just didn't have to deal with him and motherhood anymore. I mean, she never wanted to have a baby in the first place.

If Gabe is truly still alive, I hope that he's been with a loving and stable family who's been able to give him everything he needs. I would just be relieved to know that my baby was alive, if it were me.

You know, I have been watching this trial on In Session as much as I can, and I don't see how Smith is going to talk her way out of the conspiracy charges. We already know that the interference with a family custody case.

She is going to testify when the defense has its turn. Tammi Smith wants everyone to know her story. She wants to tell what really happened. Only problem is that they've recorded her lying and playing both sides against the middle. How does she counter that?

I have a feeling that her testifying is going to grand slam this case for the prosecution. When they allow the jury to ask her questions, that all it's going to take. If someone sounds a bit unfriendly, she's going to lose that nice, desperate woman who desperately wanted a baby facade, and her true colors will show. You should see her acting in court. She slouches in her chair and stares at the ceiling, when she's not crying, that is. Her attorneys are scared of her. They have that deer in the headlights look on their faces.
Today is Baby Gabriel's 3rd birthday. I cannot even imagine being Logan McQuery, knowing that his son is out there somewhere, and he might never see him again. He lost his son b/c of those two bitches, Tammi and Elizabeth (Gabe's mom).

Happ Birthday, Baby Gabe.... wherever you are.

Last edited:
Tammi Smith's trial is now on verdict watch. Unless something happened later yesterday, it appeared the jury went home without rendering a verdict.

Anyway, my two cents? The woman did herself no favors from the moment she walked into the courtroom. From the way she dressed, the wide variances in her hair and makeup, her expressions and reactions in court, right down to her testimony. She can't blame anyone for this one. It was all Tammi, all the time. She admitted the forgery while giving her testimony. As for the rest, it's as obvious as the nose on my face that her intent was to defraud the court and Logan McQueary, and keep him from having baby Gabriel at any cost. Her stories change depending on who she's talking to. I mean, the lies are so blatant.

This is one trial that I will be sooooo glad when it's finished. I am sick of seeing Tammi Smith and HEARING Tammi Smith. The woman talks and talks and talks more than anyone I've ever seen. It made me yell at the TV a couple of time, "SHUT UP!" Of course it didn't work. The same as everyone in that courtroom, as well as the rest of the world who watched all this time, I am more than looking forward to seeing her handcuffed and taken into custody.

**ETA: You know, more and more, there's something that niggles in the back of my mind. Tammi Smith says that God will see to it that she's found not guilty b/c, of course, she's innocent, you know. Anyway, I think Tammi (maybe not Jack.... she has a nasty habit of "forgetting" to inform him of stuff) knows who has Gabriel and where he is. After all this dies down and the press goes away, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Tammi went to Texas to bring home a 3 year old adopted brother for her daughters. His name will be Jacob. (She and Jack changed Gabriel's name when they thought they'd be keeping him.)

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just having one big DUH day today but I couldn't get the video to play. Is there some place else where they have stuff like that, even if it's not live steaming? I'd really like to see her reaction to being found guilty. I thought I had the video and it worked but the sound died in the middle of it and never came back. I tried it on two computers and my Kindle Fire.

Anywhooo, I'm glad that the jury saw through the act she was putting on, all Christian-ish and pious devotion to her religion, dragging out the cross necklace in the past couple of days, beginning the day she took the stand for the first time. Yeah, she probably does attend a church, but you have to know that this has all been some serious hype or PR to put out before the court and especially the jury.

Problem is, she lies, and she doesn't lie very well. If you tell the truth you don't have to remember what you said, verbatim, b/c it is what it is. She literally dug a hole and buried herself from day one. They could not control her, so her attorneys hold some of the blame as well. If I'd been her attorney, I'd probably have asked to be removed in the first 24 hours, abandoned ship and run like hell. Someone was looking to cash in on all the rediculous hype in this story and case. It makes me sick b/c the bottom line is, there is a beautiful baby boy out there that might never be found by his father, who loved and wanted him.

I read some place that after the verdict, the jury deliberated whether there were aggravating factors involved and didn't have to consider it very long before finding that there were were aggravating factors with both charges. 1) Someone was hurt emotionally and/or mentally and 2) There was an accomplice involved. Now, I want to see her do some serious jail time, and not just be slapped on the wrist with probation. She brought all this on herself and deserves the max penalty for what she has done.

Yeah.... I'm glad this one is almost past the horizon and out of my line of sight. She makes me sick.

Sorry to change direction in mid-stream here but I'm wondering.... is anyone else watching the trial of Adam Kaufman on In Session now? Now, THAT'S a really strange case, with all the evidence involved, some of which was not collected or seen as anything significant. All this does is just make the Aventura Police Dept look even more sloppy and negligent. I have a feeling that he's guilty as hell, but I'm afraid that his two bulldog attorneys are actually going to get him off b/c of the bungling done by the cops. The major moments today and yesterday were when the defense confronted one of the CSI's about her affair with the lead detective in this case. Casey Anthony came to mind, for no other reason than that this case is in FloriDUH.

A child-abuse charge has been dismissed against Elizabeth Johnson, 26, the mother of a Tempe boy who has been missing since December of 2009.

Prosecutors filed the motion to dismiss in early July and Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Joseph Kreamer granted the motion on July 13, according to Karen Arra, a court spokeswoman.

Johnson's next hearing is Aug. 6. She still faces charges of kidnapping, custodial interference and conspiracy to commit custodial interference.

In 2011, Johnson was found incompetent to understand proceedings and assist in her defense, and therefore unfit to stand trial. She has since been found to be competent and is expected to be tried in September.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...7baby-gabriel-child-abuse-charge-dropped.html

Also from last month, Tammi Smith was sentenced:
After comparing her suffering at the hands of the media and the Internet to that of Christ on the cross, Tammi Smith, the would-be adoptive mother of Baby Gabriel, was sentenced Friday to a 30-day jail term and three years’ probation for trying to help the child’s mother dodge a custody ruling.

Last month, a jury found Smith guilty of forgery and conspiracy to commit custodial interference.

Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Joseph Kreamer said Friday that a prison term for Smith was unwarranted given she had no previous criminal record and given the nature of the offenses.

Kreamer imposed a second, “deferredâ€￾ 30-day jail sentence that Smith will serve only if she doesn’t stay out of trouble, and he ordered her into mental-health counseling.

And he scolded her for hiding behind her professed piety instead of apologizing outright to the family of Baby Gabriel.

“I don’t think you fully understand and accept the harm you have done,â€￾
Kreamer said.
[...]

“With respect to the letters from people who don’t have any personal part in this case … I’m simply not going to consider what people think around the country,â€￾ Kreamer said.

Kreamer also insisted that Smith was not being sentenced for Baby Gabriel’s disappearance, only for her interference in custody matters and for filing a forged document in court.

Deputy County Attorney Angela Andrews asked the judge to impose a sentence of 21/2 years in prison for the conspiracy charge and four years’ probation on the forgery charge.

Frank McQueary, the missing child’s grandfather, told the judge that Smith seemed not to show any remorse, and he accused her of hiding behind religion to justify her actions.

“She set out to take this boy from a family,â€￾ he said.

Smith’s attorney, Mike Lee, said Johnson was the real villain of the case, and he opined that the child is dead and only Johnson knows how he died.

As for Smith, Lee said, “She had no malice in her heart then, and she has none now.â€￾

When it was her turn to address the judge, Smith gave a long and rambling speech focused on her devout Christian beliefs and went so far as to invoke the words of Chirst on the cross: “Forgive them, for they know not what they do.â€￾

Of Johnson, she said, “I held her hand through it, thinking I was doing the right thing by helping a mother who wanted to keep her child.â€￾

In the end, Kreamer said that the conviction did not call for prison. He sentenced Smith to three years of probation and 30 days in jail on the conspiracy charge, and a concurrent three years of probation on the forgery charge. The deferred jail sentence goes with the forgery charge.

And he ruled that Smith will be allowed to leave jail on work release.

Then, Smith was taken into custody. She surrendered her jewelry and was fingerprinted, and then was led from the courtroom, the standard-issue Maricopa County pink handcuffs contrasting sharply with her bright red dress.
http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-news/2012/07/07/tammi-smith-avoids-prison-in-baby-gabriel-case/

Jury Selection Begins

Jury selection is scheduled to begin Wednesday for the mother of an Arizona boy missing since December 2009.
Elizabeth Johnson is being tried in a Phoenix court on charges of kidnapping and conspiracy to commit custodial interference.
The 26-year-old Tempe woman has been jailed without bond since January 2010. She previously was deemed mentally unfit to stand trial, but has since been restored to competency.
Opening statements are set for Sept. 19 and court officials say the trial is expected to last until early November.

http://www.chathousenews.com/2012/09/jury-selection-in-case-of-missing.html

Elizabeth Johnson could not hold back tears during opening arguments for her trial Thursday.

Johnson is accused of kidnapping, custodial interference and conspiracy to commit custodial interference surrounding the disappearance of her then 8-month old son Gabriel, who was last seen in San Antonio in December of 2009.
[...]

During the last three years, the dramatic case has played out on television and in newspapers across the country.

“I think the courts here do a really good job in protecting people to make sure they get a fair trial, but it’s tough. With the outside influences now a-days you never know what’s going to sway a jury,â€￾ said Phoenix attorney Brent Kleinman.

Kleinman says anyone who’s lived in Phoenix has heard about Johnson’s case, and probably formed opinions about her, including members of the jury.

“Jurors are the same as everybody else in seeing all this, unless they’ve been sequestered. Once they’ve formed their opinions, you need to protect that from influencing their decision,â€￾ he said.

Jurors are given specific instructions to prevent them from doing research or reading news on the case.

“The only problem is enforcing that,â€￾ said Kleinman, “Everyone now has an I-phone, or a Blackberry.â€￾
http://www.azfamily.com/news/Can-Elizabeth-Johnson-get-a-fair-trial-170613066.html

“In a matter of three weeks the lives of Logan McQueary and Gabriel Johnson were forever altered by the fury of a woman scorned and by the obsession and meddling of Tami Smith,â€￾ said Prosecutor Elisa Ramunno. “Gabriel Johnson was a pawn, a tool, a piece in a game and that game to her was to keep Gabriel Johnson away from Logan McQueary to retaliate against Logan for breaking up with her and place him in fear for the safety of his son.â€￾
[...]

“She texts him I killed him,â€￾ said Ramunno. “Logan McQueary hears from Elizabeth that she killed their son, suffocated him, stuffed him in a bag and put him in a dumpster and described these horrific acts and blamed it on him.â€￾
[...]

“Gabriel's current status, Gabriel's whereabouts is simply not an issue in this case,â€￾ said Elizabeth Johnson’s defense attorney Marc Victor.

He asked jurors not to be distracted by emotion or speculation.

“My job is to do my best to get you to focus on the elements of the crimes charged," Victor stated.

Victor said he would not dispute many facts in the case but would not say how he would defend Johnson.

“This case isn't about whether or not she's innocent it's about whether or not the state presents evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that she is guilty,â€￾ said Victor. “Stay tuned.â€￾

Witnesses testimony in this case will begin Monday at which time Gabriel’s Dad, Logan McQueary, is expected to testify.
http://www.azfamily.com/news/Baby-Gabriels-mother-in-tears-during-trial-opening-170599656.html

Johnson walks out of court during her own trial
The mother of Baby Gabriel unexpectedly left the courtroom Tuesday as the prosecution wrapped up its case against her.

After sitting in court all morning, Elizabeth Johnson returned after lunch and told the judge she did not want to be in court for the afternoon session.

“I really don’t feel like I can be here,â€￾
Johnson told Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Joseph Kreamer.

Johnson’s attorney, Marc Victor, explained that Johnson was anticipating the end of the trial would be very emotional because of audio recordings admitted into evidence.

Judge Kreamer said Johnson had the right to leave the court which she did before the jury returned from its lunch break.

Kreamer told jurors they could not consider or speculate about Johnson’s absence.

A short time later, prosecutors played phone calls between Johnson and Logan McQueary, Gabriel’s father.

McQueary recorded the phone calls in December of 2009 after he got a text message from Johnson saying she killed their son.

During one of the phone calls, Johnson blamed McQueary for making him kill their son.

Johnson told McQueary their dead son was in a dumpster.
[...]

The State ended its case Tuesday afternoon.
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...aps-up-case-against-her-in-Baby-Gabriel-trial

"Gabriel's in the dumpster."

The voice was plaintive and forlorn and shockingly sincere.

"You want to talk to girls, that's the price you pay."

Prosecutors in the Elizabeth Johnson trial saved the worst for last. On Tuesday, in Maricopa County Superior Court, they played the phone call recorded by Baby Gabriel's father in which Johnson claimed she murdered the 8-month-old boy while on the run in Texas.

And then, they rested their case. The jury was dismissed until Oct. 16, when Johnson's attorney, Marc Victor, will tell the court whether he will call any witnesses, including Johnson. He has hinted in open court that he probably will not.

If that happens, the trial will proceed to closing arguments and the case will go to the jury in the third week of October.
[...]

As the last piece of evidence, Andrews played the chilling phone call recorded by McQueary:

"I wasn't going to let you take him from me," Johnson said.

"You did not hurt Gabriel," McQueary said to her.

"Yes I did," she said. "I suffocated him. I covered him up with a towel, and I suffocated him, and he turned blue, and I put him in his diaper bag, and I put him in the trash can."
http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...aby-gabriel-case-jurors-listen-grim-call.html

"You want to talk to girls, that's the price you pay."

Someone like that should never be allowed out in society again. She belongs in jail or a high-security mental health facility. Romantic partners and children are not one's property to be used, controlled, abused, and disposed of as one sees fit, and one should not harm one's child to "punish" someone else for his or her "misdeeds."

"I suffocated him. I covered him up with a towel, and I suffocated him, and he turned blue, and I put him in his diaper bag, and I put him in the trash can."

Surely there is a towel big enough for her. Makes my heart sick. sick.

Gabriel and my oldest were born only a few days apart. When Gabriel initially went missing, it hit so close to home because I had a baby the same age, and my son looked so much like Gabriel at that age. This is so fucking twisted. Why are you making your innocent baby pay for the transgressions of your significant other? Why do people use children as pawns?

Nearly three years after 8-month-old Gabriel Johnson was reported missing in San Antonio, Texas, prosecutors say his mother used him as a pawn against his biological father because she was angry at him and wanted to hurt him in the aftermath of their relationship.

Closing arguments were heard on Tuesday in the trial of baby Gabriel's mother, Elizabeth Johnson, 26, in the Superior Court of Maricopa County in Arizona. Johnson has pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnapping, custodial interference, and conspiracy in the December 2009 disappearance of her son.
[...]

In his closing statements, Johnson's attorney, Marc Victor, said he disagrees that what Johnson did could be characterized as kidnapping.

Victor said he did not call witnesses because the state did not present a convincing case that Johnson was guilty of kidnapping. He instead said the lawsuit was an example of "an ugly custody interference case."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/baby-gabriels-mother-pawn-prosecutors/story?id=17493638#.UH6SXoaz6So

The jurry got the case late yesterday afternoon and will begin deliberations today.

Back