• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Old Man Metal

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
This complete re-work of FNI's 2005 debut LP, Fellatrix Discordia Pantokrator, is another frontrunner for 2018 Album of the Year. As soon as the first track starts, you know exactly what you're in for.

If you draw a triangle between the black/thrash of Nocturnal Breed, the black/speed of Midnight, and a strip-club house band that plays really sleazy rock-metal, well, you'd have a hell of a triangle, and FNI would be somewhere within it. These Portuguese metallers play a unique blend of black/thrash/speed with a heavy dose of traditional metal and rock influences (and a bit of NWOBHM in places). Because of the disparity of the components that FNI are working with, every song has a different feel, from the alternating anthemic uplift/chaotic downpull of Moïra to the NWOBHM-ish thrash assault of A Forca to the trad-metal rock-out of Sacra Morte.

What really makes the varied feel of the album is the guitar work, which seamlessly employs the idiosyncratic ingredients of the different influences as appropriate: chunky thrash riffing, catchy rock hooks, glammy pinch harmonics, virtuoso trad metal solos, ripping thrash solos- it's all there, and it all fits together like it's meant to be.

Drumming is similarly varied, ranging from d-beats and thrash-style work to more standard rock arrangements. As with the guitar work, all of the disparate styles are used to create a seamless, ass-kicking whole. The vocals remind me of Nocturnal Breed more than anything else: a sleazy-sounding blackish raspy shout.

Production is fairly big, providing a very crankable sound, and is suitably dirty but not too raw, about the equivalent of Nocturnal Breed's "medium" level of filth (see The Tools of the Trade, for example). Perfectly suited to the material.

Standout tracks: Vermes de Guerra: Cona Nuclear, Eixos do Caos, Calypso.

full

Even better, this and Wrathrone are both on Apple Music and my son pays a monthly fee for access to everything in Apple's library. :smuggrin:

It is magically delicious to be able to sample music from all over the globe, too.

It is magically delicious to be able to sample music from all over the globe, too.
Yeah, back in the day it was mostly a crapshoot. You'd usually buy something based on the band's previous output, or an article in a magazine, or sometimes even the cover art. Now you can try before you buy. I spend a lot of time searching for the gems on youtube and bandcamp.

And hell, you can talk to the bands if you want. I just got Fossilized's debut direct from the band via DM on Twitter, and I don't think it's even available anywhere else, at least not on CD.

The digital version is below. I recommend that one too.

Last edited:
Back