• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ScarlettHarlot

I wasn't sure where to put this, so please move if this isn't the right section for it @Subrosa or @Morbid .

I just found this amazing documentary on YouTube about a famous child neglect case. It's a case often studied in child development and psychology studies, rather than as a criminal case. Little is known about her early life since her parents were elderly by the time she was discovered at the age of 13, and her father committed suicide before he was due to appear in court; leaving a note saying "The world will never understand." But it is known she was isolated in one room, strapped to a potty chair, from infancy until she was 13 years old. Never really interacted or spoken with, and beaten.

Genie's life prior to her discovery was one of utter deprivation.

She spent most of her days tied naked to her potty chair only able to move her hands and feet. When she made noise, her father would beat her. Her father, mother, and older brother rarely spoke to her. The rare times her father did interact with her, it was to bark or growl.

The story of her case soon spread, drawing attention from both the public and the scientific community.

The case was important, said psycholinguist and author Harlan Lee, because "our morality doesn’t allow us to conduct deprivation experiments with human beings, these unfortunate people are all we have to go on."

With so much interest in her case, the question became what should be done with her. A team of psychologists and language experts began the process of rehabilitating Genie.
http://psychology.about.com/od/historyofpsychology/a/genie.htm

I've read a lot about this case over the years, but this YouTube documentary really brings things to light in a whole new way. It has real footage of Genie during her rehabilitation, often heartbreaking, but deeply insightful. I thought others here might also enjoy seeing this doc about such a well-known case of the most extreme child neglect, and to let people see the face of a sweet and lovely child who was never given a fair chance.

There was a movie from back in the 80's, I think, about Genie. I cannot remember the name of it, but it is a very good semi documentary about her and her life. Her mother took Genie away to live with her becaue the mother believe the psychologists that were working with Gnie were only after the noteriety and not really helping Genie, as if the mother was so good to Genie.

And HI! I'm back!

@Just my luck sucks

Genie is a ward of the state of California, and is living in an undisclosed location in Los Angeles.[3][19] In May 2008 ABC News published two stories on Genie, and the first of these reported that someone who spoke under condition of anonymity had hired aprivate investigator who located Genie in 2000. She was reportedly living a simple lifestyle in a small private facility for mentally underdeveloped adults, and appeared to be happy. Although she spoke only a few words, she could still communicate fairly well in sign language.

from the wikipedia link above in post #4

Back