• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The Indianapolis Zoo says a lion has died in a fight with another lion.

The zoo said Friday that an adult female, Zuri, attacked 10-year-old male Nyack in their outdoor yard Monday before the zoo opened for the day.

The zoo says the two had been housed together for eight years and produced three cubs in 2015. Nyack was on loan from the San Diego Zoo.

It says staff heard an unusual amount of roaring from the yard and staff tried to separate the two but Zuri held Nyack by the neck until he stopped moving. A necropsy confirmed that Nyack died of suffocation from injuries to his neck.

The zoo said daily logs kept by staff showed no unusual aggression, injuries or wounds between the two.

The lions’ 3-year-old daughter, Sukari, was also in the yard at the time of the incident.

“We know many people loved visiting Nyack. He was a magnificent male lion and left his legacy in his three cubs. He will be missed by guests, members, volunteers and staff.”
https://ktla.com/2018/10/19/lioness-kills-father-of-her-cubs-at-indianapolis-zoo/
1539993630772.png

Curious if the zoo environment prevents the males of the species from attaining their full, natural size/strength.

Ive seen male lions in zoos before and they looked startlingly undersized to me. Of course i also witnessed a feeding demostration and those beasts were terrifyingly massive. Might depend on the zoo? Meh.

Then again, never sought out info on whether this happens in the wild. Wonder how rare it is.

Curious if the zoo environment prevents the males of the species from attaining their full, natural size/strength.

Ive seen male lions in zoos before and they looked startlingly undersized to me. Of course i also witnessed a feeding demostration and those beasts were terrifyingly massive. Might depend on the zoo? Meh.

Then again, never sought out info on whether this happens in the wild. Wonder how rare it is.

They are bigger and stronger. Constant perfect food, parasite control and vet care will do that to you

It's actually pretty common for a zoo-reared lion to be puny compared to his wild cousin. A man named Edouard Foa, in the book After Big Game in Central Africa, said the zoo lion was nothing like a wild lion in size and development.

--Al

They are bigger and stronger. Constant perfect food, parasite control and vet care will do that to you

Zoos control their food intake, and based on what ive seen, they do so to prevent the animals from growing TOO large/powerful.

Of course a not so successful predator out in the wild perhaps wont fare as well or be as big. But a successful lion gorging on wildebeast aplenty is going to get bigger than some zoo lion that gets a chicken or two a day.

Back