• You must be logged in to see or use the chatbox

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A western Pennsylvania man whose infant son was suffocated when he fell asleep on his father's chest is now facing involuntary manslaughter charges.

Owen Labrenn Copney is also charged with child endangerment in the death last year of his month-old son, Isiah.

Authorities say Copney fell asleep with Isiah lying face down on his chest on Sept. 17. When Copney woke up, the child was face down in the crook of his arm and wasn't breathing.

The child was taken to a hospital but died there two days later.

Authorities say Copney admitted he had been warned that falling asleep with his son on his chest could be dangerous for the child.

Don't like ads? Then help out the site and GO BOLD!

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The child's mother had left the father alone while she visited a friend.

When Copney woke up, the child was face down in the crook of his arm and wasn't breathing.

The mother told authorities that when she returned to the child's father's home she knew the baby was dead.

Valley News Dispatch reports she told cops she was hysterical and screamed at Copney: 'I should never have left him with you!'

The child was taken to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh for treatment but he died two days later on September 19.

The Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office said Isiah died of Sudden Unexplained Infant Death. The Medical Examiner’s Office said Isiah lived in Leechburg.

The child's mother told police he had been warned about the dangers of falling asleep with a newborn on his body.

Copney had allegedly made the same mistake in the past and the the mother believed attempts to scare him would make him more careful.

The mother told law enforcement she'd shared horror stories with the father about incidents where other babies had died.

A past pussy is defending him
Jalyn Booker claimed in a post: 'This is my ex and he loved his son! He did nothing wrong!!!! His mother left him while she knew he was sleeping.

'After working a double shift so she could go party!!!!! The truth will come out!!! She endangered her child!!!!!! He’s effected greatly by this. Prayers needed to my family.'

zzouy

I had an ex that this happened too. He was so heartbroken at the funeral. Nothing happened to any kids he had after that. Not sure how I feel about these multiple co-sleeping death people. I fell asleep feeding my kids and would wake up in a panic.

On this I think the mothers response seals it. It may not be intentionally malicious, but maybe dad doesn’t care enough to be responsible so therefore must be held legally accountable for his carelessness.

Eleven

Bold Member!
This is why we have beds for babies. It happens over and over. Co sleeping is one thing, they can be in a box between the parents on the bed. They're safe that way. Just lying on the bed with an adult is a tragedy waiting to happen. One little precaution can take away a life time of guilt.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
It is possible that the did not have a crib in his home for the baby.

He could have left the baby in his carrier to sleep.